TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Hood Scoop Thread

So, according to the above, Amy's latest response was on July 3 - she stated:

"The scoop can not be aluminum do to the crash damage possibilities. so we are left with composite. We are a manufacturer so we have to tes and verify all items we do, unlike a mod shop . We have a new one and it is being tested in the extremes right now. this takes time as we want to make sure we get this right. It has been crashed and it performs well. The stripes are another issue. we have a new stripe cut we are working on, for rivited hoods they will go together."

I had missed that one - Thanks Jeff!

If I'm reading that properly, SAI can't put on the aluminum scoop for manufacturer safety reasons, but for those of you that are having issues it would seem the way to go. Granted, it bites after spending that much on a new car you have to replace a scoop and stripes, but to buy the aluminum scoop, have it painted and then put on the stripes seems the best route to fix this issue. It's definitely what I would do in this case if I owned one. Besides then you can boast that you replaced the composite unit with an aluminum one at car shows! Heck, even an unpainted aluminum scoop sitting on top of the existing stripes would look sharp in my opinion. :)

So, according to the above, Amy's latest response was on July 3 - she stated:

" we have a new stripe cut we are working on, for rivited hoods they will go together."

This I find to be interesting. The way I read this is that the stripe will cut "around" the scoop instead of under it.

If I'm reading that properly, SAI can't put on the aluminum scoop for manufacturer safety reasons, but for those of you that are having issues it would seem the way to go. Granted, it bites after spending that much on a new car you have to replace a scoop and stripes, but to buy the aluminum scoop, have it painted and then put on the stripes seems the best route to fix this issue. It's definitely what I would do in this case if I owned one. Besides then you can boast that you replaced the composite unit with an aluminum one at car shows! Heck, even an unpainted aluminum scoop sitting on top of the existing stripes would look sharp in my opinion. :)

Actually a member on heer had one made out of composite and it worked great. There is a thread on it here as well as some pics. His fibergalss guy who made it did a terrific job IMO.

All,

I appreciate the positive feedback, and I know there are still unanswered questions, but I didn't create this thread to create another hood scoop thread but to direct people to the hood scoop threads.

If you want to comment on the listing that's fine, I missed one, one doesn't belong, , etc., but please take any actual hood scoop discussions to one of the threads above and not here.

Otherwise I'll have to add this thread to the list of threads and it's already confusing enough.

Thanks!

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

It was said that hood scoop threads had been deleted. These are the threads that have "Scoop" in the topic name. There are others but this is most of them below I have posted Amy's latest responses and will do my best to keep it updated.

You made your point , but if a thread isn't apparent on the pages of the Forum , how do you get to it.................and this can't be just my comments , so I suspect there are alot more than just a few bad scoops out there ,again I will be the first to appologize for anthing offensive I have said , especially when that completely covered , "paid for" fix comes down from SAI / Ford.

EDIT: just deleted the long list. -Jeff

Edited by JeffIsHereToo

You made your point , but if a thread isn't apparent on the pages of the Forum , how do you get to it.................and this can't be just my comments , so I suspect there are alot more than just a few bad scoops out there ,again I will be the first to appologize for anthing offensive I have said , especially when that completely covered , "paid for" fix comes down from SAI / Ford.

You're right threads often aren't easy to see which is why the search function is provided and it really is easy!

To find all these scoop threads I just:

1. Click on Search in the upper right

2. When the little box appears click "More Search Options"

3. Type Scoop in the keyword box

4. Click Search Titles Only (otherwise you'll get every message that has the word scoop which you may want but I didn't.

5. Select the Shelby GT, Shelby GTH Forum (will search all areas including discussion or just leave it at as is.

6. Click Perform the Search

It takes about 5-10 seconds and you'll get a list of the threads with the most recently posted first.

Play with the search function! It's really your best friend when trying to research something here. There is soooooooo much great info here that to now understand how to make full use of search is really making you miss out on a lot!

I will rejoice with you when the new scoop design is released and we can get back to our regularly scheduled program.

;)

From the many posts on this subject and other's on different issues, it appears that some, are Not Having a 'good time', with the High Performance ' side of your Automobile experience. I'm old enough to remember when, anything Custom, High Performance, "Ricky Racer" Custom, type of Car type 'Stuff" did not come with any warranty, and even so, we were as happy as 'Ducks in water' to get the 'Go Fast Tricked out stuff", anyway.

I believe, that All of the people, that work at or for Shelby are committed to their craft. Just like in the 60's, Shelby, is 'pushing' the limits of speed, design and performance, each and every day. The process is ever evolving, trying for the BEST. That's how, design is achieved, great cars are produced, races are won and how Shelby Legends are created. We are all involved with Shelby Cars, that's why we are here on this website, We all, share the joy of speed and performance, that is created by Shelby Automobiles. My opinion; on issues of Hood scoops and others; "Kick back, have a cold glass of ice water, and have FUN". It will be OK, things can be fixed, and in the process maybe improved. How cool is that. Life is not a perfect journey, but in any SHELBY, It's a great ride !!!! :shift:

Edited by turnsignaldelete

Granted enjoy the ride! All I would like to see is a progress report on where we stand with SAI on the fix for our scoops/stripe issue. A weekly posting form Amy or Bud or a rep from SAI would be great. I think the mor info shared with the consumer the more satisfied we will be. I have monitored the progress since my purchase on May 2, 2008 and to be honest it seems very littel is being communicated to us. Amy/BUd please open up the communication channel and give us a weekly update on progress.

Granted enjoy the ride! All I would like to see is a progress report on where we stand with SAI on the fix for our scoops/stripe issue. A weekly posting form Amy or Bud or a rep from SAI would be great. I think the mor info shared with the consumer the more satisfied we will be. I have monitored the progress since my purchase on May 2, 2008 and to be honest it seems very littel is being communicated to us. Amy/BUd please open up the communication channel and give us a weekly update on progress.

Latest Update:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...st&p=478232

Dilligent effort, Jeff. Thank you for your investment in time and labor.

It occurs to me that as folks scan through the many links you have kindly provided and find something they wish to comment on, that specific thread is refreshed.

In a short period of time, the Mod/Tech forum could be overwhelmed with as many threads as you have collected together here, and all other topics could be beaten down. Hell, all one has to do is bump them, and we will be flooded with hood/stripe issues in the Mod/Tech forum. Just one angry soul is all it would take, and we know they are indeed present here on TS.

IMHO...I respectfully suggest it's time to add another forum. Call it what you want, "Tech II-Warranty issues", what ever. I don't care about that, but I think it's time to corral all these threads inside one corner here at TS where those affected by this issue can check in and share their stories, get updated on progress, rant, rave, what ever, and not disturb the TS membership NOT having any issues, or, choosing not to make their issues public. I am one of those members.

My scoop and stripes are not perfect, and I have other issues with LuLu. However, I consider them all part of the "charm" of an automobile such as the SGT. I find it emotionally defeating to log in here at Mod/Tech daily, just to read posts from other owners suggesting class-action lawsuits and demanding letters from SAI. It ruins my day.

Park them all in one corner, move new threads into that corner, and let them have the air they deserve without beating the rest of us to death? This should also expedite offical replies from SAI, and make their job easier as well. Someone mentioned "improve communications" and I think it's time to consider another plan.

Just my .02C, thanks again.

Dilligent effort, Jeff. Thank you for your investment in time and labor.

It occurs to me that as folks scan through the many links you have kindly provided and find something they wish to comment on, that specific thread is refreshed.

In a short period of time, the Mod/Tech forum could be overwhelmed with as many threads as you have collected together here, and all other topics could be beaten down. Hell, all one has to do is bump them, and we will be flooded with hood/stripe issues in the Mod/Tech forum. Just one angry soul is all it would take, and we know they are indeed present here on TS.

IMHO...I respectfully suggest it's time to add another forum. Call it what you want, "Tech II-Warranty issues", what ever. I don't care about that, but I think it's time to corral all these threads inside one corner here at TS where those affected by this issue can check in and share their stories, get updated on progress, rant, rave, what ever, and not disturb the TS membership NOT having any issues, or, choosing not to make their issues public. I am one of those members.

My scoop and stripes are not perfect, and I have other issues with LuLu. However, I consider them all part of the "charm" of an automobile such as the SGT. I find it emotionally defeating to log in here at Mod/Tech daily, just to read posts from other owners suggesting class-action lawsuits and demanding letters from SAI. It ruins my day.

Park them all in one corner, move new threads into that corner, and let them have the air they deserve without beating the rest of us to death? This should also expedite offical replies from SAI, and make their job easier as well. Someone mentioned "improve communications" and I think it's time to consider another plan.

Just my .02C, thanks again.

X2..great idea Mac! OPen a new area and start a Scoop thread and ask that all posts pertaining to it go in there and there only. And then archive the others for veiwing only...dont know if it possbile or not. I just want my scoop fixed. I dont want to read about it and see people argueing all the time. Its not fair or fun for anyone. :)

thank you for the update. to many threads to read if we could get it down to a thread of update for gt scoop/stripe from sai.

We did try to have an "Official Hood Scoop" thread at one time but people kept creating new ones and we just gave in. I suppose we could close all the old threads and only allow one closing new ones as they are created. But not sure how well that would go over either.

I keep hoping the fix is around the corner and it won't matter soon anyway!

But I understand your concern!

Interesting idea! I can see some benefit to that but policing it might be a pain. I already have to move a lot of misplaced topics and I don't look forward to adding another but I'm open to the suggestion. Not sure how Sharon or Robert feel I can ask.

Yesterday I had a long talk with Mitchell from Ford Racing about the stripe and hood scoop issue. We talked about it for quite a long time and he was quite pleasent to talk to.

According to him the stripe issue is caused because the replacement strips for the 07 are thicker because of an added layer of protection. This was done do to the problem of acid rain fading and eching the stripes. They just continued using the thicker strip on the 08. Since the strip is thicker it causes the wrickles as the hood and scoop expands and contracts. They are trying a couple of things and hope to have the stripe issue worked out in about 4 to 6 weeks. The hood scoop is another issue and they and Shelby are working on it. He expects that may take 6 to 9 months. They want to make sure that everything is right before offering it as the final solution. He said to make the claims thourgh your dealer and they will change it out as many times as it takes. He also said that they will make an anouncement on the forum when they get something that works. The last thing they want is another failed attempt.

I did that for a few hours and found people didn't look at the sticky topics or at least it didn't seem that way. I'm open to doing that again if you guys think it would help!

Maybe that's telling you something?

According to him the stripe issue is caused because the replacement strips for the 07 are thicker because of an added layer of protection. This was done do to the problem of acid rain fading and eching the stripes. They just continued using the thicker strip on the 08. Since the stripe is thicker it causes the wrinkles as the hood and scoop expands and contracts.

Interesting information about the stripes. Did he mean that the original SGT '07 stripes were thin and subject to staining? Replacements are thicker and more durable? I ask for a specific reason. I've had my SGT #1296 one year and have gone through the following:

Hood scoop #1 - Severe bowing and gaps. Normal for most of us.

Hood scoop #2 - The rivet fix on original stripes. The stripes wrinkled and the rivets dug into the scoop, tearing paint. Hood was bowed on driver side due to improper rivet installation. The rivet problem was most dealer incompetency and inexperience with SGT's.

Hood scoop #3 - New hood stripes and scoop. No wrinkles so far. Minor paint tearing around several rivets and small gap in rear where rivet was apparently not installed correctly. The bad news: Hood stripe installation was botched with inconsistent gap between stripes. I was very angry with the dealer (where's the quality control, why did you install the scoop over that garbage, etc) but they stand behind their stripe guy. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt....once. The good news: New hood stripes look great compared to old, stained, faded stripes. The dealer says their stripe person "treats" the stripes before installing. (I have no idea what the treatment is, but will try to find out.) If nothing else the stripe comparison got me moving on requesting complete stripe replacement under warranty.

COMING SOON - Hood scoop #4 and complete stripe replacement. Dealer has parts on hand and is waiting for me to drop car off for another week. The SWEAR they will get it right this time. :hysterical: I'm sure I will be back when the final hood scoop fix is ready. My best hope is that the new stripes are installed correctly and are of better quality.

I'm sure Ford/Shelby has at least $2,000 to $3,000 invested in cosmetics on my car (parts, labor, rental car). Silly. If I didn't love the car so much.....

Edited by ZepDad