TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roger, I love your fender stripes!

Ok, I really worked with the stripes to get 95% of the tiny air bubbles out, and it's been sitting in the sun for two days, and I still have some. Will these eventually go away like the sign shop said they would, or am I stuck with them? Will popping them with a pin cause more problems than it solves? I just want them to look as good as the rest of the car, not like something added on, and get them waxed properly. The bubbles are too tiny to show up in a pic, but I know they're there and they bother me.

Just installed some red ones on my SGT and after a day I too still have some tiny bubbles here and there,nothing too noticeable but I too know that they are there and it kills me to know that, I am going to pop them with a small needle....if anything I will just replace them again untill I get them right!!!!!

MAgiccity.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I really worked with the stripes to get 95% of the tiny air bubbles out, and it's been sitting in the sun for two days, and I still have some. Will these eventually go away like the sign shop said they would, or am I stuck with them? Will popping them with a pin cause more problems than it solves? I just want them to look as good as the rest of the car, not like something added on, and get them waxed properly. The bubbles are too tiny to show up in a pic, but I know they're there and they bother me.

I would think you're stuck with them. I used the 1" painters tape for a center line, applied one side., peeled the tape off and squeegied (microfiber towel) them perfectly smooth. I then re-applied the 1" tape against the new stripe and repeated the process. I screwed up the 1st one I tried but can now make them perfect in about 15 minutes a side. :happy feet:

Here are the 3 colors I've tried. THe red is on there now and I think I like it best. The blue is also nice, but as little too subtle, like Roger said.

FIA06.jpg

5123show01.jpg

FIA03.jpg

Dan

Very nice! Makes it look "on purpose". Where do you get the Terlingua decals?

Look at the top of the page for the Team Member Shelby Store.

Stripes look good Doc! :)

Seems to be poplular. Look at the the show thread for Mid America. Ruf is asking for pics and someone posted a pic of his GT500 with the Super Snake hood and fender stripe.

Just installed some red ones on my SGT and after a day I too still have some tiny bubbles here and there,nothing too noticeable but I too know that they are there and it kills me to know that, I am going to pop them with a small needle....if anything I will just replace them again untill I get them right!!!!!

MAgiccity.jpg

Guys, Take a fine cloth or fine paper towel and wet it and put it over your squeege when working with the stripes...you'll get most of the air bubbles out that way...to make sure you get all of them out, use the moist paper towel or moist cloth on your finger and work them out before everything sits up. I did mine in about 15 minutes per side and no air bubbles at all...Yes, they will eventually dry up and you won't see them, but living in Colorado where the sun doesn't really beam down that hard on your car and it doesn't get all that hot, it isn't going to do it overnight. Same thing down there in HUMID Florida...Now here in West Texas when it's 106 in the shade! You'd better be fast at putting stripes on because they'll dry up before you can lay them on the car!

Guys, Take a fine cloth or fine paper towel and wet it and put it over your squeege when working with the stripes...you'll get most of the air bubbles out that way...to make sure you get all of them out, use the moist paper towel or moist cloth on your finger and work them out before everything sits up. I did mine in about 15 minutes per side and no air bubbles at all...Yes, they will eventually dry up and you won't see them, but living in Colorado where the sun doesn't really beam down that hard on your car and it doesn't get all that hot, it isn't going to do it overnight. Same thing down there in HUMID Florida...Now here in West Texas when it's 106 in the shade! You'd better be fast at putting stripes on because they'll dry up before you can lay them on the car!

Thanks Carl. My bubbles finally went away....the heat did do the trick.....I did get more compliments now with the red stripes....I will take some pics to show when the weather clears up....its been nasty these last few days, you got out of here just in time!!!!

Thanks for the bubble feedback. I'll give it some time yet in the sun before I try pinholes. Ok, maybe it doesn't get that hot here in Denver, but the sun is more intense than you'd think! That one mile closer to the sun is no issue, but removing the most dense bottom mile of atmosphere makes a big difference! You can get sunburn very easily, and I've shoveled snow in 12 degree weather with no coat! If all else fails, I'll just get more vinyl. Thanks!

We just kind of eyeballed it and went with it. They are 2"wide with a 1" divider. Made from the scraps of the hood stripes.

Gary

BEAUTIFUL car Gary! I LOVE the Blue! I notice that you are a fellow Texan...what part of Texas are you in?

I added the satin silver pit stripes to my SGT

post-19184-1213739193.jpg

post-19184-1213739193.jpg

Thanks for the bubble feedback. I'll give it some time yet in the sun before I try pinholes. Ok, maybe it doesn't get that hot here in Denver, but the sun is more intense than you'd think! That one mile closer to the sun is no issue, but removing the most dense bottom mile of atmosphere makes a big difference! You can get sunburn very easily, and I've shoveled snow in 12 degree weather with no coat! If all else fails, I'll just get more vinyl. Thanks!

The problem with pin holes in the stripes is that actually, the water has already evaporated under the bubbles and you'll still have a hard time getting the bubble out. If they don't come out in a few days of sitting in direct sunlight, you'd probably be better off just taking them off and starting over and using the moist towel or paper towel over the squegee to make sure you have all of the bubbles out before it gets a chance to set up...just be sure to use a LOT of soapy water both under the stripes and on top of them when you're working with them...that's the big secret...just keep it wet until everything is exactly where you want it then squeegee like crazy until it's all smooth as a baby's butt...

I'm not doubting the intense sun in Colorado...I've been there and got a sunburn before when it was cold...I just don't think it puts out as much heat as it does down here in TEXAS a lot closer to the equator! Trust me, it was 106 yesterday and I think that was in the SHADE!!! Trouble is you can't find any shade down here either! LOL

Good luck with the stripes...it may take a time or two until you get them just like you want them, but trust me, it's well worth it when they are finally done...Everyone will comment on them...even my 65 year old brother said they looked really good and he liked them on the car! I was shocked!

Thanks Carl. My bubbles finally went away....the heat did do the trick.....I did get more compliments now with the red stripes....I will take some pics to show when the weather clears up....its been nasty these last few days, you got out of here just in time!!!!

Yeah, shoot me some pics...I can't wait to see that pretty Black SGT with Red stripes on her!!! Hope the weather gets better for you soon down there! It's just plain HOT here!!! We NEED some rain desperately...we had thunder and lightning here last night, but not a drop of rain...in the words of Jed Clampet, "Pitiful, just pitiful"

As per your request:

Yes, very nice! I also like the Terlingua decal. Both sides? wonder how the decal would look with red stripes.....? Hmmmm :happy feet:

Man! We've sure got nice looking cars!

Dan

Or at least a royalty check :hysterical:

Michael

No kidding Michael............. :lol::lol:

It was brought to my attention that Maximum Motorsports has an SN197 test mule that has them now and use it in their ads. :shades:

Roger

Roger, I have to say, that this was a great post and I love all the participation you've gotten. Also, the instructions were great.

Kudos to you and all who have done this to your cars, very nice and this is what it is about.

amy

I think I am going to start offering pre-cut stripes and include instructions for application. ;)

Make mine yellow to match my Terlingua decals, and shoot me an e-mail to SergtnMac@AOL.COM with where to send the payment?

I'm not kidding, hope you are not.

Roger, I have to say, that this was a great post and I love all the participation you've gotten. Also, the instructions were great.

Kudos to you and all who have done this to your cars, very nice and this is what it is about.

amy

Hey Amy,

How about a set in white on both of your Grabber Orange cars? In time for Terlingua?

Look forward to seeing you there!

Michael

Thank you Amy but the gang here gave this legs.

I installed mine on for the Birthday Bash in January. It just took off on it's own. And I am glad to help anyone, if and when I can.

I love the early Shelby's and Cobra's and just took the idea to the "NEW GEN".

Mac, I have a Terlingua decal. I will see if I can get a color match. I'll be in touch. Seems linke I have way too many Shelby projects getting in the way of my "Day Job" :lol::lol:

Hey Amy,

How about a set in white on both of your Grabber Orange cars? In time for Terlingua?

Look forward to seeing you there!

Michael

Hi Michael, thanks, I might have to get me a set, they are cool, like a secret club........lol

Looking forward to terlingua, I think that run is going to be real fun, the views are very cool!

Amy

Thank you Amy but the gang here gave this legs.

I installed mine on for the Birthday Bash in January. It just took off on it's own. And I am glad to help anyone, if and when I can.

I love the early Shelby's and Cobra's and just took the idea to the "NEW GEN".

Mac, I have a Terlingua decal. I will see if I can get a color match. I'll be in touch. Seems linke I have way too many Shelby projects getting in the way of my "Day Job" :lol::lol:

Roger, very cool, yes, it's a team effort but you got t started, very cool. you know, maybe we can make them part of terlingua sticker package for all cars going. What color would they get?

Amy

Archived