TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Roger, I love your fender stripes!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

I don't want to copy - especially if there's only a certain way you would/should have them but.............. !@#$ that is sharp!

Rookie quesion here: What exactly IS the significance of the stripes on the fenders?

Thanks!

Roger,

You need to make everybody wait for the answers to the stripe issues. Wait until we are all gathered around the campfire in Terlingua, Texas . . . the chili beans will be working their way through our systems so no one will be ready to go indoors yet. :extinguish: It will be the perfect time. :D Jim

+1

I don't want to copy - especially if there's only a certain way you would/should have them but.............. !@#$ that is sharp!

Rooky quesion here: What exactly IS the significance of the stripes on the fenders?

Thanks!

Hi,

It is my understanding that back in the early Shelby Le Mans and Daytona efforts, CS fielded multiple Guardsman blue Cobras. They put these stripes (I have heard them referred to as FIA stripes) in various colors to identify the cars as they came by the pits at speed at night. I have seen pictures of cars with white, yellow and red FIA stripes.

Michael

Hi,

It is my understanding that back in the early Shelby Le Mans and Daytona efforts, CS fielded multiple Guardsman blue Cobras. They put these stripes (I have heard them referred to as FIA stripes) in various colors to identify the cars as they came by the pits at speed at night. I have seen pictures of cars with white, yellow and red FIA stripes.

Michael

You are correct Michael. Their primary function was identification at speed. The yellow was also utilized to identify "rookie" drivers.

The stripe layout is fairly simple.

Roger

Jim, nice thought but I've got to pass on Texas.

Dan, here is a photo I took during mock up with the blue tape so you can see what blue stripes will look like.

Rookiestripes001-1.jpg

Rookiestripes002.jpg

Here is the latest pic of the car but I now have stripes on both front fenders.

BeautyShots2003.jpg

BeautyShots2006.jpg

Yellow is fine with me - it would be a straight up fact. Next to the word 'Rookie' in the dictionary would be my geeky looking mug shot.

With respect to you and, all who already have these stripes. . . I would like to join this brotherhood!? Cool?

I've done some homework and understand now what they signify - plus it looks sinister! Stripes or no stripes, if I'm going to get the ticket, I'm going to get the ticket!!

Thank you Roger!!

so what do they mean? Other then to signify as each car passes into the pit does each color have a significance? Just figuring if yellow is noob then red has to have some extended meaning..... And your not gonna come roger? That is majorly dissapointing I was hoping to see your shelby in the flesh it is definately one of my favorites!

You are correct Michael. Their primary function was identification at speed. The yellow was also utilized to identify "rookie" drivers.

The stripe layout is fairly simple.

You will need blue painters tape. One roll of 1" and one of 2".

I found the direct vertical center of the front wheel center cap as the reference point to the lower edge of the front fender and marked it with a small piece of 1" tape on the under side roll of the fender. This is your starting point.

I wanted simetry in angles of the stipes and used the front leading edge of the front fenders as a guide. The stripes follow the same angle as the top front leading edge of the fender.

Using your starting point and finding the correct angle you now lay a 1" piece of blue tape from the reference point to the leading edge of the hood.

Leaving that piece in place you now take your 2" tape and butt the edges and follow the same instructions.

Now remove the 1" piece of tape in the middle. This is the first piece you placed into postion and you now have the template for your vinyl graphic shop to follow. The stripe material on my car is Scotch UV. Any will do but I suggest a good quality UV grade graphic tape. The tape length is about 15" long per strip and you need to cut the overlap. I cut right to the edge of the hood and fender roll. There is no tape to wrap under the lip or into the seam of the hood. It just follows the contour of the fender.

I hope this helps.

Roger

Jim, nice thought but I've got to pass on Texas.

Dan, here is a photo I took during mock up with the blue tape so you can see what blue stripes will look like. Oh by the way the tint of the red stripe is almost an exact match for the red in the "Powered By Ford" logo.

Rookiestripes001-1.jpg

Rookiestripes002.jpg

Here is the latest pic of the car but I now have stripes on both front fenders.

BeautyShots2003.jpg

BeautyShots2006.jpg

Hey Roger,

Great write up!

Maybe the Limer needs these in Wimbelton White?...hmmm...

Regards,

Michael

so what do they mean? Other then to signify as each car passes into the pit does each color have a significance? Just figuring if yellow is noob then red has to have some extended meaning..... And your not gonna come roger? That is majorly dissapointing I was hoping to see your shelby in the flesh it is definately one of my favorites!

Buck,

I don't really know other than maybe "team colors"?

Thank you for the compliment, but I did attend the Birthday Bash with the car and another trip of that extent this year is just not in the cards. Belive me though, if I could, I would be there. The Birthday Bash was a Blast. I'm sure this will be of the same magnitude. Those who attend will be in for a great time!

Michael, white would look great on the limer. Why not. They can easily be removed.

Roger

post-19390-1211481063.jpg

Wow they really pop on a white car! Funny how such a small detail brings on so much attention, at my unit everyone is comenting on the red stripes! (far more than the numbers).

Have fun,

Stephen Vick 07SGT0053

post-19390-1211481063.jpg

Here is what RED stripes look like on a WHITE car... Enjoy!!

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

That looks awesome! :happy feet:

You've just got to snap a pic outside to get the whole effect. I'd love to see it.

Roger

You've just got to snap a pic outside to get the whole effect. I'd love to see it.

Roger

Yes! That really pops on a Perf white car! Awesome! :rockon:

Roger:

I am taking next week off and will take the plunge. I'm still thinking blue, but if that doesn't look right on black it looks easy enough to change to red...

Thanks for the response.

Dan

Roger

Just had to wait for the sun to come out...

post-8727-1211483522.jpg

post-8727-1211483534.jpg

post-8727-1211483547.jpg

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

post-8727-1211483522.jpg

post-8727-1211483534.jpg

post-8727-1211483547.jpg

Just had to wait for the sun to come out...

Stripe05.JPG

Drive Safe!

07SGT0547

It looks like the stripe stops an 1/8" (?) from the fender edge at the hood? Is that corect? It looks great!

It looks like the stripe stops an 1/8" (?) from the fender edge at the hood? Is that corect? It looks great!

They stop right before the rounded edge of the fender begins... But as far as being "correct" is concerned, I don't have a clue... However, it only took me 15-mins to "cut and paste" these 1st "trial" stripes... So I will probably go ahead and make a 2nd "final" set that goes around the edges a little better...

Gregg

07SGT0547

Roger, I'm sorry, but I had to go out and try this on the 2008 SGT to see how it would look...I finally found a local place out here in the sandhills of West Texas that actually has vinyl tape on rolls and a laser cutter!!! He cut the stripes for me, 2" wide, 1" space between them and then put the protective cover over them so I could peel them from the backing and apply them to the car. The vinyl is satin silver to match the Shelby stripes...I probably didn't give it quite as much thought as you did, as I kinda eyeballed mine with the front edge of the hood scoop...they may not be perfect, but I don't figure anything on this car is totally perfect or on any other car for that fact...LOL

Here's a few pictures...I'll try to take some better ones after the stripes cure a little in the heat in the garage...100 degrees out here this week, shouldn't take long...

post-19184-1211496408.jpgpost-19184-1211496418.jpg

post-19184-1211496428.jpgpost-19184-1211496440.jpg

post-19184-1211496448.jpg

post-19184-1211496408.jpg

post-19184-1211496418.jpg

post-19184-1211496428.jpg

post-19184-1211496440.jpg

post-19184-1211496448.jpg

Iam kinda thinking about these, yup I found me some duct tape

DSC03842.jpg

Go for it! Hardest place is right there where you got that little bubble where it breaks straight down to the wheel well...takes a little patience to get everything to lay down straight there, but it's worth it...

I have no idea where to go to find this kind of vinyl stripe. . . . . guess there's some homework for me between time off when I get home this weekend, Q.P. Open House next week and more time off the week after that.

Yellow has always been my pick for accent color on Blue. A Yellow copy of the Extreme Plus brakes and these strips in Yellow would look sweet in my opinion! I guess I'll just have to take the hit for the 'Rookie' attachment. I can handle that.

Again - do y'all mind another SGT rollin' with the F.I.A. Stripes??

Roger,

Silly question of the day...

Do they go on BOTH sides of the car, or just on the Driver's Side???

I don't recall, but since I am going to re-do mine I might as well make the Passenger Side at the same time... THANKS!

Gregg

07SGT0547

EDIT: Both sides have been re-done with the ends slightly rolled over the corners of the fender... Gives it a much nicer and finished look... Will post "outside" pics once I can get the car out in the sunshine again... THANKS Roger!!!

post-8727-1211514840.jpg

post-8727-1211515076.jpg

post-8727-1211515146.jpg

post-8727-1211514840.jpg

post-8727-1211515076.jpg

post-8727-1211515146.jpg

Archived