TEAM SHELBY FORUM

suspension noises

Has anybody else has some problems with the suspension in your cars? Every time I go over even the slightest bump I hear squeaks and thumps come from the rear of my car. It has been going on for awhile now. I brought it to the dealership and they told me it was normal with a lowered car and there was nothing they can do about it. To me that answer is unacceptable. We all have some really nice cars here and they sure aren't cheap. When I go out and buy a car like this I exspect everything to be perfect and if it isnt, my warranty should cover fixing any problems I have. I rear a few months back that they cars need to be realigned at the dealership, something to do with them not being aligned right at shelby after lowering. I told my service advisor I would like my car to be realigned and she told me as long as it tracks straight there is nothing wrong with it and they wont be it. I would have to pay for it. So I really dont know what else to do here, So I come to you all to see what imput you have.

Thanks

Has anybody else has some problems with the suspension in your cars? Every time I go over even the slightest bump I hear squeaks and thumps come from the rear of my car. It has been going on for awhile now. I brought it to the dealership and they told me it was normal with a lowered car and there was nothing they can do about it. To me that answer is unacceptable. We all have some really nice cars here and they sure aren't cheap. When I go out and buy a car like this I exspect everything to be perfect and if it isnt, my warranty should cover fixing any problems I have. I rear a few months back that they cars need to be realigned at the dealership, something to do with them not being aligned right at shelby after lowering. I told my service advisor I would like my car to be realigned and she told me as long as it tracks straight there is nothing wrong with it and they wont be it. I would have to pay for it. So I really dont know what else to do here, So I come to you all to see what imput you have.

Thanks

I'm no expert but I deal with problems everyday at work and the best thing to do is ESCALATE. Go over their head and call the regional service advisor. If that doesn't work, then take it to the next level and then the next, all the way to the top.

Also, that is not normal for it to be making that many noises. I'll confess my car makes a few squeaks(no rattles except for the damn shifter :censored: ), but only when I hit a bump REALLY hard, and I would say that is normal.

I'm no expert but I deal with problems everyday at work and the best thing to do is ESCALATE. Go over their head and call the regional service advisor. If that doesn't work, then take it to the next level and then the next, all the way to the top.

Also, that is not normal for it to be making that many noises. I'll confess my car makes a few squeaks(no rattles except for the damn shifter :censored: ), but only when I hit a bump REALLY hard, and I would say that is normal.

Don't even get me started on the shifter rattle and the hood scoop, because we all know about those issues, I think I will just tackle one at a time. But really not right, we bough new shelbys. I didnt work this hard to buy a car like this and be disatisfied.

There shouldn't be an rattles, etc. A good dealer will work through it until they find the source. And it should be covered by warranty.

Quite a few people here have found extra body bolts lying between panels, bolts inside the exhaust tubes, other exhaust rattles (common). And everyone has gotten them fixed satisfactorily to my knowledge.

Thanks

If you are experiencing squeeks in the rear, they are most likely coming from the Urethane Bushings. Urethane is much harder than regular rubber and if not lubricated when installed, will squeek...Invest in a can of spray silicone lubricant and get under the car and lube them liberally and wipe excess off...should stop any squeeks from the Urethane anyway...

You noise most likely is coming from the exhaust hangers. Many of our cars have a problem with one or both of the rear exhaust hangers hitting the body of the car and causing noise.

AND the shifter rattle too.

Specific info can be found by searching this and the Tech areas of the forum.

A search on "Shifter"

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23292

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23013

A search on "Exhaust"

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24765

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23480

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23427

http://forum.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22107

I think you need a new service tech, she's waaaay off on how how alignment works.

Advice given about the squeeks and bushings would be my first guess.

Remember that the SGT is tightly wound and the suspension is somewhat unforgiving, thus it will telegraph noise that normal suspension does not. It goes with the territory. even Shelby's handbook on the SGT mentions this in a bold disclaimer on page 36.

I would also consider getting under your car with a torque wrench and the correct specifications. I had lots of bumps and groans after having rear suspension pieces upgraded. Turned out that none of the bolts were torqued to specs. The only noise I hear from the rear now is the exhaust.

Thanks

As far as the front end alignment goes they should take care of it under warranty, my dealer is. They ordered the adjustable camber bolts and have them. As soon as the weather gets decent it's going up there and they are going to install them, reduce the some of the negative camber for better tire wear, and set the toe.

They won't spring for an adjustable panhard bar to kick the rear end back over though, imagine that.....

As far a shifter rattle...this is soooo normal for the Hurst. I had them in all my Fox bodys...you learn to live with it. I put a thin rubber cap on each of the stop bolts...this is where the noise is comming from. the shifter arm is vibrating against the stop bolts. Stock shifters dont make the noise beacuse of all the rubber that is used to make it quiet, but you get a sloppy shift feel.

I think the bushings even have grease fittings on them.

Good call. While I was up under mine today I snapped a couple photos of what they look like. These were on the front, but I'm sure the ones on the back look just like them. Looks like some of the bushings on mine are a little over greased :waiting:

greasefitting.JPG

greasefitting2.JPG

greasefitting.JPG

greasefitting2.JPG

The problem is, thumps and bumps noises are so subjective. Some guys hear it, some don't. Plus, the Shelby GT warranty (see your Shelby booklet) notes that noises to some extent are to be expected and are normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Check the rear hangars on the mufflers. I'll bet that they are too close to the rear bumper frame. Mine hit on the driver's side only after the pipes heat up and expand. When cold, they are about 1/2 inch from the frame, but when they get hot, they hit when accelerating or hitting any bump in the road.

You can probably either readjust the muffler position by loosening the clamps, or do what I am planning to do to mine: cut off about 3/8" off of the end of the round steel hangar hook that is welded to the back of the muffler.

Hope that this helps...

Archived