TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire Loosing Pressure

WIFFLEGT

I have had my SGT now for about 6 months and have had to put air in the left rear tire about once each month. The first time I had to do this was just a week or two after delivery. All the other tires have not required this maintenance. I am just curious but has anyone else been experiencing this situation?

:blink:

must be something contageous

so far i only had to air all 4 once since august, but that was when the weather turned cooler. my pressure senser light came on and i checked all 4...one was couple lbs lower than the others but that was all.

when i took my SGT in for the 1000 mile check up they recomended 35 psi on them (for the tires with 18 inch stock wheels).

:blink:

must be something contageous

so far i only had to air all 4 once since august, but that was when the weather turned cooler. my pressure senser light came on and i checked all 4...one was couple lbs lower than the others but that was all.

when i took my SGT in for the 1000 mile check up they recomended 35 psi on them (for the tires with 18 inch stock wheels).

Ditto...My warning light came on and all four corners needed air, one down as low as 25 PSI. But, here's a few stories about just the left rear, and what are the odds on that?

BTW, it's been my experience that aluminum wheels are (in a very minor way) porous and will seep air. It's a good habit to check PSI once a month or so, despite change in climate.

This reminds me of something that happened recently. Ill make it as short as possible. Im sitting at my cousins one night this fall and we are waiting for a freind to show up. Its Friday night and we usually hang together. Anyway he finally shows up and is all out of breath and he tells us he had a flat down the road. His cell phone was broke so he had no way to call. He went to someone's house and used the phone but he called home and no one answered and he couldnt remember my cousins number. Anyway, he is all p*ssed off and Im laughing at him and I ask if he has a jack and spare and he said he was so P8ssed he forgot to check and jus started walking. He was about 3 miles away so not a huge deal. We go down, pop the trunk and viola there is the spare and jack. We chaneg it and head back home and we razz him about it for a few weeks. Flash forward to 2 weeks ago. Its Friday night and about 11 PM. He and another freind leave. He is dropping off the other freind on his way home. About 5 minutes go by and the door opens and in the door walks my 2 freinds again. We figured he forgot something and my freind then tells us he left and pulled out of the driveway and got to the end of the street and all of a sudden his car was making a thumping noise. He thought he had another flat and was all PO'd and jumped out of the car and the tire had just come off the rim! No holes, no rips, just the bead let go. He had just had the tires changed earlier in the week. He has nice polished aluminum rims. So we all laughed our a*ses off at him again. His luck with tires just isnt going well it seems. So at least all we have to worry about is adding a little air now and again :)

I have had my SGT now for about 6 months and have had to put air in the left rear tire about once each month. The first time I had to do this was just a week or two after delivery. All the other tires have not required this maintenance. I am just curious but has anyone else been experiencing this situation?

That's strange that many people have had this problem. I have the same problem with the right rear.

I don't know if I'll posts this, but I'll type it out and see how I feel about it later.

There is such a thing called "tire buoyancy" which identifies a "sweet spot" between tire drag (adhesion) from binding friction against the road surface, and tire glide (comfort) from a bone-jarring tightly sprung suspension. This buoyancy greatly impacts vehicle control and MPG.

It's different from all other formulas and depends largely on tire size, sidewall height, wheel diameter, road surface (local to you) and ideal PSI. Here's how to determine your own personal tire buoyancy.

1) Get a good PSI meter, no cheapo "slide rule" from days gone by. Analogue "dial face" gauges are good, digital with memory is better.

2) Max PSI of our stock SGT tires (BFG KDWS 235/50/18) is 44 PSI, so, inflate all four of your SGT tires to 50 PSI and take a short ride on a highway, say 55-60 MPH for at least 10 min. just to warm up the tires. Trust me, no harm will come from this, but the ride will suck big time. This is okay, you are doing this just to establish an airtight tire to rim seal, and a base line for extreme PSI.

3) Find a level, straight and smooth street, and bring the car to 30 MPH. At 30 MPH, slip into neutral, (clutch out if it's a stick) and coast while watching for landmarks measuring the distance of your glide down to 20 MPH. While doing this, also measure your personal seat-of-the pants tolerance from road feedback and comfort. Warning, it will be a bit "jiggly" at first.

4) Remove 1 PSI from each tire, and repeat step #3. Repeat as necessary until your glide begins to shorten becuse when it does, your drag, or, road friction is increasing, which means that the tire is now too soft.

This should take you about an hour of your time and at some point, you will find a PSI that fits your SGT and your butt. Maximum glide, minimal road feedback, and this is your personal PSI buoyancy. It will also deliver your premium MPG. My SGT is 38 PSI city, 35 PSI on extended OTR trips, and I am getting 18 MPG city, 23 MPG OTR.

I know it sounds like a funny thing to do, but it's actually what NASCAR pit crews test for. There are only four things involved in keeping you right-side up on the road, and they are called tires. Kenny Brown taught me that "control is power" and he was right. I haven't found a flaw in his teaching yet.

Y'all be safe.

If there is no physical damage to the tire and or the tire bead you can always try using a nitrogen fill. A nitrogen fill "leaks" at a much slower rate and tires can go months without losing a single pound.

Many tire shops will fill your tires for free but beware a lot of them replace your valve caps with green plastic caps to denote a nitrogen fill. All you have to do is ask them to keep your stock valve stem caps or better yet remove your caps before heading over to the tire store.

Steve

That's strange that many people have had this problem. I have the same problem with the right rear.

Not unusual, not such a mystery. Rather expected IMHO, because the right rear tire is you "power tire". Let me explain?

Our SGTs have a "Limited-Slip" differential, same as "posi-traction" and other similar styles of conditional lock-up. This means that under hard power (torque), both axles get the same power, but in normal day-to-day cruising, only the right axle pushes the car forward. Thus, in normal DTD drives, I would expect the right rear tire to wear out sooner and need more attention than the other three. PSI is affected by this, I do not find this unusual.

My race car has a "spool" (aka locker) which means that both left and right axles are locked full-time and always get the same torque, which causes tire "chirp" in turns under less than full power (torque).

Hope this helps answer your question.

Appreciate all the input from all of you on this topic and some good preventative maintenance - not to mention an interesting story from webba - thanks much!!

I'm taking the car to the Ford dealer for a look-see on the left rear tire and having them look into the exhaust rattle I have. My tail pipe on the left is about 1/2 inch lower than the right. Hum, wonder if this is related to the left rear tire pressure??

Regards,

Steve

Archived