TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch in SGTs

So, the only new mustang I've driven is an 07 GT500. as you can tell from my sig im an old car guy...so the new clutch kinda threw me off. the gt500 has a hydraulic clutch i was told..and its harder than any other clutch ive had to use (not stiffness..its juts wierd :D ) so, how is the clutch in the sgt? is it a different one than the gt500? (i would imagine so...) thanks for any help.

So, the only new mustang I've driven is an 07 GT500. as you can tell from my sig im an old car guy...so the new clutch kinda threw me off. the gt500 has a hydraulic clutch i was told..and its harder than any other clutch ive had to use (not stiffness..its juts wierd :D ) so, how is the clutch in the sgt? is it a different one than the gt500? (i would imagine so...) thanks for any help.

Pretty much all cars these days have hydraulic clutches which consists of a master and slave cylinder. Basically it's the same as the brakes - a push rod compresses fluid from the master cylinder in the hose filling the slave cylinder and pushing against the arm pushing against the pressure plate. It all works the same just no cables. It's not really easier or harder. Comparing to my 87 Honda which still has the cable system, it's about the same.

The 500 has a double clutch plate where the SGT has a single. The only difference I have been able to tell between a cable system and hydraulic system is it feels like it takes longer for a hydraulic system to engage. Also, you don't have to adjust a hydraulic system.

Saying all that I have never been in a 500 so I can't compare those two.

Do you have an auto or are you still waiting? If you want to see how the SGT feels go test drive a standard Mustang GT. It's the same thing.

The difference between the GT500 and all other mustangs is night and day.

The GT500 is much stiffer. After driving the GT500 around and then driving another mustang it feels like there is nothing there. The clutch on a regular mustang feels like pushing in thin air as if there was nothing there at all.

I own a GT500 and the clutch on that is really stiff compared to anything else.

Archived