TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sales: GT500 vs. Shelby GT

ShelbyPilot

.....I would offer the difference in sales is three parts. First, yes the modest rated horsepower bump is going to make some think why I am paying $10K over a Mustang GT for 19HP. Second, the Shelby GT doesn't have that prominent name. The GT500 has history and people know they are buying history. Even the GT-H and it's connection with Hertz. If the Shelby GT would have been called the GT350 like alot of dealers still try to call it would have sold much much better. Lastly, marketing, marketing, marketing. Ford and SAI have done nothing to market this car. No posters in dealerships, nothing in the brochures. A short pass over the auction block. Although it got a little attention it was quickly over shadowed by the Mr. Shelby's Super Cobra. The GT500 even though sold out is still in commercials during everything from NASCAR to American Idol. Even Hertz marketed the GT-H more than SAI and Ford have marketed the Shelby GT. Lastly, perhaps there is a misconception that with SHELBY on the trunk that it is unaffordable.

Of course these are my opinions and I am only a severe PSDS sufferer.

.....I would offer the difference in sales is three parts. First, yes the modest rated horsepower bump is going to make some think why I am paying $10K over a Mustang GT for 19HP. Second, the Shelby GT doesn't have that prominent name. The GT500 has history and people know they are buying history. Even the GT-H and it's connection with Hertz. If the Shelby GT would have been called the GT350 like alot of dealers still try to call it would have sold much much better. Lastly, marketing, marketing, marketing. Ford and SAI have done nothing to market this car. No posters in dealerships, nothing in the brochures. A short pass over the auction block. Although it got a little attention it was quickly over shadowed by the Mr. Shelby's Super Cobra. The GT500 even though sold out is still in commercials during everything from NASCAR to American Idol. Even Hertz marketed the GT-H more than SAI and Ford have marketed the Shelby GT. Lastly, perhaps there is a misconception that with SHELBY on the trunk that it is unaffordable.

Of course these are my opinions and I am only a severe PSDS sufferer.

i believe you said it correctly 3 times. marketing. EVERYONE knows what a GT500 is, but how many know what a SGT is. you can call any ford dealer and ask any salesperson about a GT500 even if they dont have one they can tell you alot about them. try that with the SGT, i have heard a ton of horror stories on here about the lack of knowledge of sales folks. i wish Ford would have spent more money on advertising this car. to good a car to go unknown.

just my 2 cents and if you ask my wife i do have much cents anyways to give away. :)

michael

I agree with both statements. MARKETING would have probably helped with the Shelby GT to my knowledge so far their is over 2500 close to 3000 that are made maybe even more but will they all sell that Is the real question. For a long time I wanted a 500 but I never could get my hands on one when I was able to get my hands on Shelby GT I took it. Is the Shelby GT worth it? I think it is and I can not wait till productiion is finished and we see just how many were made.

Ben

I agree that the problem is marketing. I didn't even know about the SGT until I walked into the Ford showroom. However, being the eternal optimist, the less people know about the SGT, the less they will sell, and the less they sell, the less they'll make, and the less they make, the more valuable our little black (and white) beauties will be.

I was at a Mustang after market store last Saturday to buy some hood struts and there was a Mustang show going on. There were 4 GT500's, 4 Roushs, several Steedas and a couple of other modifieds. When I can out, there was about 30 people gathered around my SGT ignoring all the others. None of them had ever seen an SGT before.

Kinda makes me happy I didn't wait on the Challenger.

What do you mean marketing? WHAT marketing? The SGT and the Ford 500 (soon to be the new Ford Taurus) are the nicest cars NOBODY knows about! No wonder they are going broke. Let's advertise the sold out GT500, the Ford GT, and the Hybrid (which is about 5-10 pct of the Escape build) on the superbowl and forget about the bread and butter product!

I agree with both statements. MARKETING would have probably helped with the Shelby GT to my knowledge so far their is over 2500 close to 3000 that are made maybe even more but will they all sell that Is the real question. For a long time I wanted a 500 but I never could get my hands on one when I was able to get my hands on Shelby GT I took it. Is the Shelby GT worth it? I think it is and I can not wait till productiion is finished and we see just how many were made.

Ben

Shelby kept saying 6,000 maybe ford has commited to them that 6k will be built and they just keep sending them gt's till the nhumber is hit

marketing is def. the problem and it is a disappointing one at that. I also agree that they should have given it another 30 hp and called it a GT350. Putting that 350 on the name would have boosted the all around image of the car. B)

and sorry for not knowing...what is PSDS?

What do you mean marketing? WHAT marketing? The SGT and the Ford 500 (soon to be the new Ford Taurus) are the nicest cars NOBODY knows about! No wonder they are going broke. Let's advertise the sold out GT500, the Ford GT, and the Hybrid (which is about 5-10 pct of the Escape build) on the superbowl and forget about the bread and butter product!

LOL, this makes me remember the Tbird when it came out, most dealers only got one or two, but every commerical adverstised the car. the 500 (taurus) is an awesome car. if anyone drives it they love it, but ford likes to keep things like that very quiet. i didnt even get a GT, but they advertised the fool out of that car and most folks havent ever seen one in person. im alittle confused on how to run a car company i guess?

michael morris

LOL, this makes me remember the Tbird when it came out, most dealers only got one or two, but every commerical adverstised the car. the 500 (taurus) is an awesome car. if anyone drives it they love it, but ford likes to keep things like that very quiet. i didnt even get a GT, but they advertised the fool out of that car and most folks havent ever seen one in person. im alittle confused on how to run a car company i guess?

michael morris

hey you have to remember who is running ford now he was head of Boeing not sure why he was worth all the money they paid him to leave Boeing

Unless someone reads this board, they might not know that one could be bought at a reasonable price (including other dealers). Mine was originally marked up $7k over, but thanks to this board I was able to negotiate a much lower price.

Another dealer near me has one (SGT) that he is asking $17k over MSRP (at least he was a few weeks ago).

The general public probably thinks they are all heavily marked up.

I'm thinking that with more advertising these SGT's also might have been less affordable to the average enthusiast, due to higher dealer markups.

A good product (like the SGT) should sell. Hopefully a little time will prove this out.

Archived