TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best way to have my gt350 towed in case of a breakdown?

Hello, I'm new to the forums and I just purchased a 19' gt350. Knowing now how low these cars are to the ground in the front, I'm just curious what the easiest way is to tow a Shelby without damaging the front end in case of a breakdown? 

Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin O. said:

Hello, I'm new to the forums and I just purchased a 19' gt350. Knowing now how low these cars are to the ground in the front, I'm just curious what the easiest way is to tow a Shelby without damaging the front end in case of a breakdown? 

Kevin

Flatbed truck. 
Welcome aboard! 

Yes, right-on and welcome too.  I just wanted to mention one other thing that would be very important to me if this scenario happened.  A very experienced driver, ( no rookie) who takes great care in hooking up a very low profile car in exactly the right place without any damage to any low hanging spoilers or any other parts on the car.  One other thing that deserve’s mentioning is for the (Driver / Loader) not to cinch down the car with to much force because this could and does sometimes cause a little damage, especially when it just might end up hooked up in the wrong place, just saying!   It’s your “Big Boy Toy” and worth some $$$ so there’s no being to careful when all is said and done.   :thumbsup:

P.S.  Almost forgot to congratulate you on buying a great handling car in the 19 GT-350, one of Ford’s best!   :peelout:

Edited by Mongoose
Add text

I was with a friend that had his 350R towed with a flat bed and it would NOT go on the flatbed from the ground.  The wrecker guy had to get some rubber pads he had that were about 2'x3' and a couple inches thick.  He used a few on each side to minimize the angle from ground to bed and even then the front spoiler scraped a little going up.  It was a lot of work and took him a while to get up.  Off was just as much hassle.

Tom

4 hours ago, DrHawkeye said:

Someone needs to create a levitator so it can just be lifted up and put on the flatbed, rather than be dragged.  But don't the 350Rs have a tow hook in the front, so wouldn't that save hooking up underneath?

Like this...…….

Tow Lift Truck.jpg

4 hours ago, DrHawkeye said:

Someone needs to create a levitator so it can just be lifted up and put on the flatbed, rather than be dragged.  But don't the 350Rs have a tow hook in the front, so wouldn't that save hooking up underneath?

I would prefer the China Rollback...……………….

China Roll Back.jpg

How about getting this back on topic.  That kind of stuff does little to answer the original question. 

You need a flatbed to move any of these cars.  If you have AAA you can request a transport vehicle that can take a low clearance sports car.  I had my GT brought to the dealer for the air bag installs (Ford paid for transport) and the transport had some 2x12s that he put under the ramps to lengthen the approach (which is the same thing I did with the Mustangs and Cobra when I loaded them onto the U-Haul when I moved them around).   If you get an experienced hauler he will know what to do.     Come to think of it he also brought it onto the truck rear end first since he couldn't get the winch on the front and the ramps on the 2x12s kept the chin splitter enough clearance going up.    He had moved enough similar vehicles to know what he was doing.   It did take a couple of hours for him to come though but AAA knew what I meant when I said "low clearance". 

Mongoose is also right about securing the vehicle to the transporter.  You can't use the chassis tie downs as they will also be hit by the low front splitter and/or rear diffusers.  The transporter I used had the wheel based baskets.  He even had the right ones for the wider rear tires. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

5 hours ago, DrHawkeye said:

The enclosed transporter trucks (ie, for cross country moves) all have a flat drive on lift surface and then raise that entire platform to the first or second level.   No local "wrecker" is going to have that though. 

Thanks for getting the topic back on topic.

OP,

When you call a tow service some of the responsibility is on yourself. If you call a tow company and just say “I need a flat bed” or a “rollback”, then you may be screwed. You need to provide the tow company the year make and model of your vehicle and ask them if their flatbeds are equipped with a set of race ramps(or a set of 2x10/2x12 boards) to assist with low ground clearance vehicles and they also need to have wheel baskets. The frame/body/chassis should not be cinched. If the tow company you call are not so equipped,  then then call somebody else. Also it doesn’t matter whether your tow truck driver is a rookie or not. All they need to do be careful and follow the instructions that are provided in the  2019 Ford Shelby GT350 Owner’s Manual Supplement. Towing is all clearly explained as well as clearly illustrated as to how to properly tow the vehicle. It’s not rocket surgery.  If you don’t have a copy of the 2019 GT350 Owner’s Manual Supplement you can download or print it from the following handy-dandy  link below:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2019-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350-Supplement-version-1_sg_EN-US_12_2018.pdf

Explicit and detailed towing Instructions, proper hook up points, and how to secure the vehicle are on pages 21 through 25. If you just want to print pages 21 thru 25 you can do so and keep a copy in your trunk or dash.

Ps: In addition, All 2019 Ford Shelby GT350s are shipped from the factory to the dealer with a set of front and rear suspension spacers. Make sure you keep them in the trunk. If you don’t have them you can order a set. If you plan to tow or transport your 2019 GT350 they can be reinstalled for additional underbody clearance.

It never hurts to read the manual..............