TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1966 Paxton Supercharger ID help

Hello All,

I have acquired a Paxton supercharger that was taken off of a 1966 mustang gt350.  The car was my fathers, when he sold the car in the mid 1980’s the future owner had specific plans for racing the car and didn’t want the blower.  I have read that only 11 gt350’s were factory equipped and it is believed that only 9 still exist.  I am trying to find out the history for mine.  

Every other one that I’ve seen has COBRA etched into the manifold that goes over carb, mine has SHELBY etched in that location.  

So - who can tell me some info on this piece? 

thanks

Mike

F7A5DBF9-C903-42B5-9DE4-4A8A419B1037.jpeg

Shelby001 is correct.  This forum is mostly about the modern generation Mustangs.  While legacy discussions are welcome, the place with the expertise and most likely interest in your Paxton will be at the SAAC forum at www<dot>saacforum<dot>com.   (Note, this forum suppresses the SAAC site so I spell it out...)

While your fathers car may have been supercharged, are sure it was originally produced as a supercharged car?...or was it a standard Shelby GT350 that may have been supercharged later?. The reason I point this out is that Shelby also sold Paxton supercharger kits that many people fitted to their Shelby GT350’s and the Shelby Paxton Kits  were also fitted to a number of Mustang owners cars who had “K” code engines. Some of the aftermarket Shelby Paxton Kits  had “Cobra” on them and some had “Shelby” on them. And as Shelby001 and Twobjshelbys mentioned the SAAC guys are a good source of information and you will likely find a buyer over there if you are selling.

Thank you all for your help!

A few at SAAC have identified this unit as most likely an over the counter kit that was added onto my fathers GT350.  I was not sure if the blower came on car or not, looks like not.

Edited by Birdley

Birdley,

Thank you for stopping back in to lets us know what you found out. I used to own a K code and had friends with Shelbys and K code Mustangs and had seen both the Cobra and the Shelby name on the Carburetor enclosure of supercharged 66/67 cars. I was kind of thinking what you pictured was from a Shelby Kit, but couldn’t say for sure. If you are selling it you will probably have the best luck over on the SAAC forums. There is also a Mustang “K “code website and forum called hipo-mustang dot com. They also have a place to buy and sell vintage parts. Those K code guys are pretty fanatical about period correct stuff so you may get a good offer over there as well. Good Luck with your sale.

One of experts is Craig Conley of Paradise Wheels.  When Paxton Industries was split up and sold, Caig got all the early year parts, tools, machinery, design information, etc. from the Santa Monica shop.  Paxton equipment for the later 5.0 Mustangs and Camaros of the 1980s and beyond went to Vortex.  If you do nt have a complete system. Craig has the correctparts.  Your photos show an over the counter '68 to '70 blower box and pulley or small block Ford.  

Do you have the blower?  Check the serial number and color.  A ire at the Paxton Industries shop destroyed all the individual records, but by recolection, a lot of information was redeemed.

http://paradisewheels.biz/power/

😎

3 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

One of experts is Craig Conley of Paradise Wheels.  When Paxton Industries was split up and sold, Caig got all the early year parts, tools, machinery, design information, etc. from the Santa Monica shop.  Paxton equipment for the later 5.0 Mustangs and Camaros of the 1980s and beyond went to Vortex.  If you do nt have a complete system. Craig has the correctparts.  Your photos show an over the counter '68 to '70 blower box and pulley or small block Ford.  

Do you have the blower?  Check the serial number and color.  A ire at the Paxton Industries shop destroyed all the individual records, but by recolection, a lot of information was redeemed.

http://paradisewheels.biz/power/

😎

No argument here, just curious how you ID'ed it as a 68-70 kit?  I had a friend who had a 66 K code that he supercharged. and the carburetor enclosure pictured above looked like a 66/67 type that fit the 289. Admittedly its been a while since I wrenched on any 1965 to 68 models though.

66-67 had a "Cobra" carb. box with switch to "Shelby" was made in 1968.  Also the "Mustang" on the blower bracket was added around the same time.  A number o owners of 65-70 Mustangs and Shelby GT350 cars have added the Paxton units at later times.  I found an early correct Paxton set up for my 66 GT350 and added it in 1987.  The set up had reportedly (by the seller) originally been used on s stock 289 67 Mustang,  It had been set up incorrectly with the wrong pulley back in 1967 and they blow the engine (rod) with too much pressure and poor installation.  It was removed and sat on the shelf in his garage for decades before he sold it.

With the advent of the bigger block engines in the Shelby GT500 and Mustangs at the same price ($400.00 then) as a Paxton unit for a small block, few supercharges were sold at the time.  In later years, owners with smaller engines (289 and 302) decided to add the system or more power.  The Paxton does give the small bock the power feel and performance of the larger V8.

There are a number of older magazine articles and books on supercharging about the Paxton system and its use and development.

You did not mention if you have all the rest of the Paxton set up which included the blower, crankshaft pulley, tension pulley and spring, air intake canister, pulley belt, etc.  The bl;ower cradle bracket that is in the picture looks like the one for a non-/ac or power steering system. system.

Craig Conley can give you more accurate details.

😎

8 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

66-67 had a "Cobra" carb. box with switch to "Shelby" was made in 1968.  Also the "Mustang" on the blower bracket was added around the same time.  A number o owners of 65-70 Mustangs and Shelby GT350 cars have added the Paxton units at later times.  I found an early correct Paxton set up for my 66 GT350 and added it in 1987.  The set up had reportedly (by the seller) originally been used on s stock 289 67 Mustang,  It had been set up incorrectly with the wrong pulley back in 1967 and they blow the engine (rod) with too much pressure and poor installation.  It was removed and sat on the shelf in his garage for decades before he sold it.

With the advent of the bigger block engines in the Shelby GT500 and Mustangs at the same price ($400.00 then) as a Paxton unit for a small block, few supercharges were sold at the time.  In later years, owners with smaller engines (289 and 302) decided to add the system or more power.  The Paxton does give the small bock the power feel and performance of the larger V8.

There are a number of older magazine articles and books on supercharging about the Paxton system and its use and development.

You did not mention if you have all the rest of the Paxton set up which included the blower, crankshaft pulley, tension pulley and spring, air intake canister, pulley belt, etc.  The bl;ower cradle bracket that is in the picture looks like the one for a non-/ac or power steering system. system.

Craig Conley can give you more accurate details.

😎

Thanks for the clarification reply and for sharing that additional info. It’s part of what TS should be about......:salute:

Hope the OP can get top dollar for his vintage Blower or Blower parts.

Checking the information on the other site will continue to give more of the answers that you require.  Lots of knowledgeable people that have these systems.  Also, look at the photos on the Paradise Wheels site as it may show all the parts.

😎