TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Looking to buy my first Cobra 427 in Oz

Cobra Addict

G'Day All

I have long been a lover of the AC Cobra 427 and over the years I have owned many various sports cars (even a Bolwell Nagari at one time of which I'm sure you guys have never heard of) mostly Alfa's and over the last 10 years now Ferrari's my current car being a 2004 360 Spider (Manual) which I love dearly.

But I have never faltered in my passion for a really good 'authentic' 427 copy (is that an oxymoron?) and now that I am an old grumpy man with a bit of money for toys I'm looking to add a sibling to my Ferrari (they should get on famously right :)) Just found this site and have been reading this most informative string on understanding the CSX numbering of these cars. The difference between the originals and continuation (another oxymoron?) cars etc.

The big problem in Oz is twofold. Getting a good one (there is allot of real kit car quality crap out here) and getting one that is as authentic as possible in its looks, sound and feel.  There are many great brands out there vying for my money such as Superformance, Factory Five, DAX and even some good local Oz brands such as Absolute Pace and their Pace 427 which has a truly inspiring chassis, a sight to behold, but not what I am looking for !?

I want to have a car with the look and feel of an original 427 as much as possible and not necessarily paying $USD 250,000 for the privilege. We have an agent here in Melbourne for Superformance who are the only licensed manufacturer outside of Shelby themselves who seem to have a good authentic body with accurate dimensions and a good solid chassis under it using typically a selection of Rousch engines. I would be looking most likely at the 427R motor.  What to you yanks (I say that with love and affection :)) think of Superformance? how good are they?

I would love to import a car from the US but this opens up a minefield of shipping costs and compliance issues. I also see that Shelby themselves have the CSX6000 continuation cars but I don’t think they are available in Oz and have no idea on price for them.

So from this vast pool of all Amerian Cobra knowledge what would you guys consider if you were in my shoes here in Oz. Remember I don’t want a 1000 HP supercharged mammoth fire breathing monster, I am looking for authenticity in looks, feel and even sound for a 427 right down to the 15" Good Year Eagle Billboard tyres which I think are an amazing look. 500 to 600 HP will be more than enough :)

Best Regs from Oz

Edited by Cobra Addict

Welcome to Team Shelby. This site and forum is mostly oriented around the Modern era Shelby Mustangs. There are some people on here with Cobra knowledge, but frankly if you are asking Cobra Questions you may get a better array of answers on The SAAC Forums or ClubCobra.

That being said, you are probably going to get a multitude of varying opinion and very little consensus. Based on your input above, you appear to have mostly owned or driven sport cars of what one could say is a more “refined nature”. If you prefer a good balance of handling and performance then I would suggest the CSX7000 series 289 FIA Cobra Roadster or the Super Performance Equivalent of that over a 427 Cobra. Before you go buy, I would suggest you try and get a test drive in a 427 type and a 289 FIA type and then decide. Why? Because a lot of people  have a 427 Cobra fantasy but when they get there they find it more than a handful and not as fun to drive as they thought.

Good Luck in your Quest

Edited by mhr1961

I think you may have already found it, but there are lots of Aussie Cobra owners that hang out at the Cobra site at www.clubcobra.com. Australia brings many specific requirements to replica vehicles that are not addressed by modern US  builds.  Specifically, it is very doubtful any of the current CSX or any other replicas can be  imported without major changes.  You might be able to import an unfinished roller and then address the power train and safety requirements. There are lots of details the other forum.  

Good Luck!

Edited by twobjshelbys

Yes I've driven a 427 Superformance at it was an amazing experience. Your quite right that it is entirely different to anything you experience in the Ferrari however ironically thats why I love it. Both cars are entirely different in every way yet both pure in design and in terms of what the represent. Both very famous and successful in what the were designed to do and this is the attraction.  Love them both for what they are individually.

I'll get onto ww.clubcobra.com and see what I can find. Thanks !

Best regs from Oz

23 hours ago, Cobra Addict said:

G'Day All

I have long been a lover of the AC Cobra 427 and over the years I have owned many various sports cars (even a Bolwell Nagari at one time of which I'm sure you guys have never heard of) mostly Alfa's and over the last 10 years now Ferrari's my current car being a 2004 360 Spider (Manual) which I love dearly.

But I have never faltered in my passion for a really good 'authentic' 427 copy (is that an oxymoron?) and now that I am an old grumpy man with a bit of money for toys I'm looking to add a sibling to my Ferrari (they should get on famously right :)) Just found this site and have been reading this most informative string on understanding the CSX numbering of these cars. The difference between the originals and continuation (another oxymoron?) cars etc.

The big problem in Oz is twofold. Getting a good one (there is allot of real kit car quality crap out here) and getting one that is as authentic as possible in its looks, sound and feel.  There are many great brands out there vying for my money such as Superformance, Factory Five, DAX and even some good local Oz brands such as Absolute Pace and their Pace 427 which has a truly inspiring chassis, a sight to behold, but not what I am looking for !?

I want to have a car with the look and feel of an original 427 as much as possible and not necessarily paying $USD 250,000 for the privilege. We have an agent here in Melbourne for Superformance who are the only licensed manufacturer outside of Shelby themselves who seem to have a good authentic body with accurate dimensions and a good solid chassis under it using typically a selection of Rousch engines. I would be looking most likely at the 427R motor.  What to you yanks (I say that with love and affection :)) think of Superformance? how good are they?

I would love to import a car from the US but this opens up a minefield of shipping costs and compliance issues. I also see that Shelby themselves have the CSX6000 continuation cars but I don’t think they are available in Oz and have no idea on price for them.

So from this vast pool of all Amerian Cobra knowledge what would you guys consider if you were in my shoes here in Oz. Remember I don’t want a 1000 HP supercharged mammoth fire breathing monster, I am looking for authenticity in looks, feel and even sound for a 427 right down to the 15" Good Year Eagle Billboard tyres which I think are an amazing look. 500 to 600 HP will be more than enough :)

Best Regs from Oz

Greetings Cobra Addict!

I am very happy to help you with your questions.  I have been involved with Cobras since the 90's and very knowledgeable of the leading replicas.

Superformance (SPF) and Backdraft (BDR) Cobras stand out as they are manufactured replicas in South Africa and not an owner-assembled kit.  As a result there is consisent and high quality standards applied by the factory.

As pointed out in another response SPF is a Shelby licensed Cobra replica.  And the only brand with that privilege. It does however come at a cost.  Backdraft Cobras are very similar in quality and a great option.  In some cases BDR excells such as comfort, ride and handling.

351W based motors are the most popular as builders can get upwards of 600hp, gobs of torque and rpm without going to a big block.  Most of our orders are either the 480 or 550 carb'd versions.

I am happy to help you directly.  Please feel free to drop me a note to jeff@nostalgicmotoring.com or call 586.589.5990.  Also feel free to check out our inventory: https://nostalgicmotoringltd.com/vehicles and we can build a BDR to your specs.

Stay Healthy

Jeff

G'Day Jeff

Thanks for getting back to me. I have so many questions.  Yes BDR are a good option however when you say you can build me a car does that include a RHD that can pass Australian compliance when its shipped over here!?  Do you have a distributor here in Oz?  This is one of the big plus for me at the moment with Superformance as their official distributor is a 30 minute drive from my house here in Melbourne.  Essentially they bring in the completed boddy and add the crate engine and drive trin here locally so that way can deal with the compliance requirements.

I'm confident I can get the body trim, wheels/tyres, interior etc looking pretty authentic to a 65/66 427 AC but Some questions about the following;

Colour 

I love the royal blue and indigo blue however again I want to be period correct. What were the official blue's used on the 427s at the time? What was the most popular? Can you still get the same colour?

Engine

Of course a key element and where possible I want to try to stay true to the marque.  Fair to say I can't get a genuine small block 427 FE side oiler nowadays however there seems to be a plethera of suppliers offering 'crate engines' said to be built to original 60's style.  Short of buying a 'continuation car' from Shelby with its shelby motor Roush seems to come up as the best option (please corerct me if wrong). I am aware of the Shelby ALUMINUM 427 FE; 468CID (550HP) but it an all aluminium motor (not period) and rather pricy!  

Any suggestion for a good engine?

Transmission

All I know is they used a 5 speed top loader and that everyone seems to like Tremec boxes.  Is that true and what model would be best? Again happy to stay true to 5 speed.

What are your thought on transmissions?:)

Differential

The original car used a salisbury 4HU differential and rear axle and as far as I can see you can still get them relatively easily. So I guess my thoughts are on that for now! Your thoughts?

Brakes/Suspension

Unless I'm prepared to pay big $$ for a continuation car I have to be realistic in terms of my bid for 'authenticity'.  I'm not so fussed with this part as I accept it has to be of a modern standard however not looking for 6 pot Brembo with machined/drilled ventillated discs or carbon fibre for that matter !  Again Superformance seem to have a good solid chasis and brakes/suspension offering as standard.  What do you think?

I appreciate your taing the time to give me some of your learned thoughts

Best Regs from Oz

Andrew

4 hours ago, Cobra Addict said:

G'Day Jeff

Thanks for getting back to me. I have so many questions.  Yes BDR are a good option however when you say you can build me a car does that include a RHD that can pass Australian compliance when its shipped over here!?  Do you have a distributor here in Oz?  This is one of the big plus for me at the moment with Superformance as their official distributor is a 30 minute drive from my house here in Melbourne.  Essentially they bring in the completed boddy and add the crate engine and drive trin here locally so that way can deal with the compliance requirements.

I'm confident I can get the body trim, wheels/tyres, interior etc looking pretty authentic to a 65/66 427 AC but Some questions about the following;

Colour 

I love the royal blue and indigo blue however again I want to be period correct. What were the official blue's used on the 427s at the time? What was the most popular? Can you still get the same colour?

Engine

Of course a key element and where possible I want to try to stay true to the marque.  Fair to say I can't get a genuine small block 427 FE side oiler nowadays however there seems to be a plethera of suppliers offering 'crate engines' said to be built to original 60's style.  Short of buying a 'continuation car' from Shelby with its shelby motor Roush seems to come up as the best option (please corerct me if wrong). I am aware of the Shelby ALUMINUM 427 FE; 468CID (550HP) but it an all aluminium motor (not period) and rather pricy!  

Transmission

All I know is they used a 5 speed top loader and that everyone seems to like Tremec boxes.  Is that true and what model would be best? Again happy to stay true to 5 speed.

Differential

The original car used a salisbury 4HU differential and rear axle and as far as I can see you can still get them relatively easily. So I guess my thoughts are on that for now! Your thoughts?

Brakes/Suspension

Unless I'm prepared to pay big $$ for a continuation car I have to be realistic in terms of my bid for 'authenticity'.  I'm not so fussed with this part as I accept it has to be of a modern standard however not looking for 6 pot Brembo with machined/drilled ventillated discs or carbon fibre for that matter !  Again Superformance seem to have a good solid chasis and brakes/suspension offering as standard.  What do you think?

Best Regs from Oz

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Hi Andrew

All really good questions

In terms of colors here are the original colors that can be ordered:

Guardsman Blue A-1630
Charcoal (Lincoln Charcoal Frost) A-1786
Ivy Green (Custom) A-1738
Raven Black A-946
Maroon (Custom)
Silver (1965 Lincoln Silver Mink) A-1784
White - A-1347
Rangoon Red A-1440-R

On engines, 15 years ago big block motors were the choice.  Even if 390/460 and not period correct.

Now, most cobras are 351w bored/stroked to 427.  Yes, they don't look period correct (as in a BB) but they are easier to work on, improved weight distribution and can produce nearly the HP/TQ of BB so you get the loping cam, the rumble, the feeling of pulling like a freight train with high revs and weight distribution for handling.

On transmissions the period correct would be a 4 speed.  Most replicas are using tremec 5 speed and many the 6 speed

Superformance suspenion is their own design and very good.  Backdraft using BMW suspension and having driven both handles and rides much better

Brakes, I prefer the brembo but candily is not necessary for street.  Comes standard on Superformance and an option on Backdraft.

Happy to help..keep the questions coming.

Jeff

8 hours ago, Cobra Addict said:

G'Day Jeff

Colour 

Engine

Transmission

Differential

Brakes/Suspension

Best Regs from Oz

Andrew

Honestly, you will get a much better set of answers to these questions on the Cobra forum.  There are many people with this experience and at least half a dozen competent and honest engine builders over there. 

6 hours ago, Cobra Addict said:

Thanks for all who drop me a line. Will now move over to the 'Cobra Club' site and leav you Shelby Mustang boys in peace 

Best Regs from Oz 

Andrew,

WIth or without Club Cobra please consider me a resource.  

I am happy to answer questions here or on Club Cobra.

OR better yet hit me up: email is jeff@nostalgicmotoring.com or call 586.489.5990

Jeff