TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Side Scoop Falling Off

Hello,

Has anyone had a problem with the side scoops falling off? I noticed the other day that mine was coming loose and upon closer inspection realized that both the retaining clips had failed. The only thing holding the scoop on was the double sided tape along the perimeter of the scoop. I can probably figure out how to tear into the interior to access the clip holes, but I am having difficulty determining where to find replacement clips and also what double sided tape I should buy.

I ripped the scoop off so that I don't lose it on the freeway, but now I need to find these parts in order to replace it. Any ideas where the correct clips and tape can be found?

I think I have the tape figured out. Just use 3M automotive tape and cut pieces to fit along the sides of the scoop. The actual retaining clip is proving more difficult and I might have to visit the dealer to see if they have it.

I would take it to a body shop, but I bet it would cost at least a couple hundred dollars just to remove the trim and I'd rather put the work in myself to save money.

I don't have a problem with mine, and haven't heard of this issue before.

Do some research. Search for California Special side scoops clips x2. A local autostore might have what your looking for, just use the broken clip to compare sizing.

Tedious to clean off the adhesives (a must do), but easy to put back on with new clips and 3M double sided. Peel the corners of the 3M out an inch or two on each strip so the remaining doesn't stick, line up the two clips and press until almost all the way in. Pull the strips off the 3M. Press lightly and squarely for contact and make sure its correct, then press hard for full stick. 

So using your information about California Special side scoops I was able to find the actual scoops on various websites (Part SKU is XT2060) such as the following:

https://www.donexgoods.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=788552

The clips in the picture look correct, but I can't find anywhere that sells just the clips.

I'll check an auto parts store to see what they have and worst case I'll go to the dealer.

I think for the tape I can just use:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38582-Exterior-Attachment-Tape/dp/B00JR4D70K/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2QUIYMN3ZHL9V&keywords=3m+automotive+double+sided+tape&qid=1583111693&sprefix=3m+automotive%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-3

Yep that's the right tape. You'll need activator too.

You don't necessarily need pins. I replaced my side scoops with Cervini's and added upper scoops, both only attached by 3M tape, and I've had my car up to 130 several times and nothing came off.

Take a screen shot of the clips and take it to autozone or a similar store. Shouldn't cost but a few bucks.

That might be an easier solution rather than taking the interior apart. The broken clips are at least intact enough to align the scoop properly. Honestly, the tape has probably held it for several years now. I'm just speculating, but the clips were probably broken by a body shop that I took the car to years ago when someone backed into the driver side.

Agreed, I think your good to go with just tape. And if I'm not mistaken, the pins are push in. You don't need to access from the interior. Which is what I thought when I replaced them with the Cervini scoops.

Just thought I would post a follow-up in case anyone else encounters this problem.

I went to both the dealer and two local auto part stores looking for the clips. Unfortunately, the dealer only sells it as a kit along with the side scoop and I could not locate anything similar enough from the part stores. I decided that just using the broken clip was good enough since the tape provides 99% of the hold strength anyway.

I bought simple 3M automotive tape and 3M adhesive remover. Getting the old tape and gunk off the car and scoop was quite a PITA, but an hour of spraying and scrubbing eventually removed it all. One thing I was cautious of was not getting it on the side stripe decals along the side since I didn't want to ruin those in the process. Luckily, applying the new tape and reinstalling was super easy and only took a couple minutes.

• 3 weeks later...