TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Racing?

StallionRider

I will be competing my first competition race next month. I have rented an SRF car. What I didn't expect was that for whatever reason there is no collision insurance for competition races. Is there a special reason why there is no collision insurance? Because it sounds like there's more to it than saying "to keep people from being reckless in competition racing." I myself is aspiring to be a racer for more than just a hobby. I know it's not easy or cheap, but I have the time and dedication and all I need are the right opportunities. I know being able to acquire things like sponsors etc is going to be a challenge on its own. I plan on getting to as many races as I can, but aside from that thank you for taking the time to read this. 

Your general auto policy will not cover you while racing the car.    You should always ask for what the parameters of what they consider "racing".  For sanctioned events you can buy track insurance.  Google it or someone may have a link handy.  There is one that lists what events they cover and can add others if there are enough participants that request them to do so. 

Racing is often called a rich man's sport.  One of the reasons Corvettes are so popular among the gentleman racing crowd is that a very good high quality Z06 can be had for very good prices, and if wrecked, are often totaled and the driver buys another and just moves on...  Learn on disposable-mobiles you can afford to replace because even the pros have wrecks. 

Good luck!

11 hours ago, Fat Boss said:

I find it hard to believe you're renting a race car without an explicit insurance agreement, or a cash deposit for the value of the vehicle in place.  

Renting an SRF car from Pro Drive Racing School and I get that read and signed the waiver. I emailed the SCCA and Pro Drive a question in regards to track insurances and some of the statements were:

"Cars on track while racing are not covered," SCCA

"The SCCA insurance is supplemental/secondary to personal primary health insurance," SCCA

"There is no collision insurance available for race cars." Pro Drive

Ah, sorry.  You rented a track car.  But still what you said is true.  When I took the driving classes at Bondurant the rules were the same there:  Any damage to a class supplied car are paid for by you.  We were offered track insurance but it was inordinately  expensive so I passed on it deciding to self-insure.  Luckily, no events but we were all lucky.  But while rare, they do happen.

A note on track insurance with your personal car.  Be wary of the terms of coverage/payment.   All limit the maximum to about $100K, so if you're driving your high end ZR1 or Aston Martin or 750K Ford GT the maximum payout is $100K AND THEY GET TO KEEP THE WRECK FOR SALVAGE!!!   So in many cases, you barely recover the cost, and in those cases where the value exceeds the policy you don't even get to buy it back from the insurance company for salvage on your own.

Like I said, best to buy a disposable-mobile.

23 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Your general auto policy will not cover you while racing the car.    You should always ask for what the parameters of what they consider "racing".  For sanctioned events you can buy track insurance.  Google it or someone may have a link handy.  There is one that lists what events they cover and can add others if there are enough participants that request them to do so. 

Racing is often called a rich man's sport.  One of the reasons Corvettes are so popular among the gentleman racing crowd is that a very good high quality Z06 can be had for very good prices, and if wrecked, are often totaled and the driver buys another and just moves on...  Learn on disposable-mobiles you can afford to replace because even the pros have wrecks. 

Good luck!

I understand that racing isn't cheap. I have done my research ever since I started having this passion for racing since I was 18, but couldn't start on it til last year. I've talked to people and have done further research, I have attended a 3 day racing school and got certification and obtained a novice permit. In order to obtain a full competition license I have to complete 1 regionals which is this upcoming one next month. As much as I hate for my favorite sport to be a rich mans sport there are times I tell myself I wish it wasn't a rich mans sport. Having it to be a rich mans sport is part of the problem racing doesn't have much reputation as a sport compared to NFL or NBA . Money can't buy skill and money can't guarantee 1st place. I mean it would be wonderful for I to be that one underdog who doesn't receive as much funding compared to career drivers and taking first place. I have the time and dedication and I will work as hard as needed to get there, I maybe just starting with this regionals, but I need the right opportunities. 

1 hour ago, twobjshelbys said:

Ah, sorry.  You rented a track car.  But still what you said is true.  When I took the driving classes at Bondurant the rules were the same there:  Any damage to a class supplied car are paid for by you.  We were offered track insurance but it was inordinately  expensive so I passed on it deciding to self-insure.  Luckily, no events but we were all lucky.  But while rare, they do happen.

A note on track insurance with your personal car.  Be wary of the terms of coverage/payment.   All limit the maximum to about $100K, so if you're driving your high end ZR1 or Aston Martin or 750K Ford GT the maximum payout is $100K AND THEY GET TO KEEP THE WRECK FOR SALVAGE!!!   So in many cases, you barely recover the cost, and in those cases where the value exceeds the policy you don't even get to buy it back from the insurance company for salvage on your own.

Like I said, best to buy a disposable-mobile.

Lets say in theory I have a 2012 Mustang 5.0 GT. It's an automatic but I should be able to convert it to manual right? I can turn that car into a race car too and use that for racing maybe. But if track insurance is offered in non competitive side why cant it be offered for competition? 

Some quotes from email responses I received.

"Cars on track while racing are not covered." SCCA

"The SCCA insurance is supplemental/secondary to personal primary health insurance." SCCA

"There is no collision insurance available for race cars." Pro Drive

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been around racing all of my life.  I competitively raced motox but never did vehicles.  I saw too much carnage and I just can't bring myself to expose my vehicle to the risk.  I do enjoy open tracking.  I commend you for your aspirations.  I'm not quite sure how to respond to someone wanting insurance in a race.  I am reading that to not mean a track day or club event, but true wheel to wheel competition.  This kind of self-explains itself.  Nobody is going to take that risk in a 100% competition environment.  And if you are wrecked by someone else they aren't going to pay or reimburse you, that is racing.  Have fun with it!

Tom