TEAM SHELBY FORUM

waiting for the paint to dry...

ford4v429

well, took the scotchbrite to my paint a little while ago- wasnt easy...even just blacking out the lower trimline on the bumpers, still seems wrong to start scratching up the paint we all worry so much about. Basecoat should be ready to overcoat in a little bit, supposed to be semigloss, hope it looks right- want it dull, but not so much as to turn white if waxed. waiting sucks...man if the basecoat was durable, I'd just leave as-is, just a nice low gloss...that and the clear is so darn easy to run. just got a hvlp gun, better be careful...probably no fingernails left in a couple hours!

well got it all back together, even pushed the 69 back in the garage, by 10pm...long day. Need a bigger garage...got the new(takeoff) rockers dulled out, and went ahead and did the wing while I was at it. Hardest decisions were where to mask the trimline...in the back had went up around the arch above the tailpipes, but looked wrong...instead just did the edge and broke at the lower line.With the black, now it REALLY nees exhaust tips. In the front, I kinda chickened out in front center- to me the california specials had kinda a 'missing teeth' look with the entire center black, so I left 1/2 inch of blue between the black splitter and lower grille. Just cant wait to see it in daylight tomorrow with the wing/rockers back on- hope it aint all screwed up, as its kinda hard to see in the garage, and installing stuff at night aint fun.

post-1452-1147056803_thumb.jpg

post-1452-1147056803_thumb.jpg

Wife dont see it that way...she said it looked fine when it came off the truck, and shes tired of me messin with it...shes gonna be real happy that I just got ANOTHER eliminator scoop(first one from mustang depot was packed wrong, messed up in shipping- let alone a poor glass piece. the one I just got is an old mercury piece- so at least the holes will be straight). I can see the supercharger Idea is gonna be a battle... :)

also noticed when I got it out in the sun, somehow got overspray on the hood and windshield...man I had the car wrapped up tight too...musta been a gap somewhere...luckily its waxed, rubs right off the paint, but its stuck on the glass- like a foggy stripe right across the center...just thinkin, probably should go wipe down with reducer tonight, letting it sit will just make it harder to do tomorrow...back outside...

I think the new look will grow on her. Here's an example........

I told my husband how much I *loved* flames on cars. Not my own car, just cars in general. Well, while I was working the night shift, he painstakingly taped off a SWEET set of seaweed flames, and sprayed them as a birthday present.

The initial shock was intense..........I saw my once solid green car become a dark green with silver flames ride. I mean, I loved it, and I was super grateful, it just took a few days for the look to actually set in. It was totally unexpected, hence it took some time for me to settle into the new transformation, LOL.

As far as your glass, Meguiar's clay bar works just as well on glass as it does on painted panels. If all else fails, give it a try. :)

I look forward to even MORE pics!

well, the paint ended up a bit glossier than what I wanted- still get a dull reflection in it, but still shouldnt show dirt as bad as glossy black...I dont quite get it- I used deltron, 'flexed and flat' clear bumper paint that was supposed to dry flat to semigloss- if you give a wetcoat, its very glossy...ended up just dusting the clear on , to dull it out, but still a little reflection...was hoping for like 50% gloss, Id say this is more like 75%...oh well I aint gonna mess with it for a while- my son reminded me he wants to build that bigblock this year- so maybe I'll leave well enough alone and get started on that...I'd love to hear that 429 fire up again- but next time I wont be tempted to crack the throttle while not bolted in a car- I rebuilt it when I was 16, fired it up, got it running- hit the throttle and got a little reminder of that 'equal and opposite reaction' thing. luckily not too bad, but I wont be tempted to do that again...still need a distributor from that days lesson :)

heres a couple more pics the first one is of the galaxie my neighbor gave me- took out where he's buried- we were out there tonight, figured a nice sunny spot to grab another mustang pic too...hard to tell from these angles/shadows, but the wings black too. was tempted to leave the mudflaps off, but theres so much construction/gravel/coldpatch on the roads around here...

post-1452-1147144588_thumb.jpg

post-1452-1147144626_thumb.jpg

post-1452-1147144642_thumb.jpg

post-1452-1147144588_thumb.jpg

post-1452-1147144626_thumb.jpg

post-1452-1147144642_thumb.jpg

Nice effect on those rockers/bumpers. I think you've accomplished the same effect that they went for on the GT500. It "slims" down the body lines somewhat; it makes the car look sleeker, particularly from the side. I haven't been following along, but was that your intention? At any rate, well done! I also like the four door. It looks like it's in great shape.

And Evil95GT... got pix? I wanna see those flames! :yup:

Nice effect on those rockers/bumpers. I think you've accomplished the same effect that they went for on the GT500. It "slims" down the body lines somewhat; it makes the car look sleeker, particularly from the side. I haven't been following along, but was that your intention? At any rate, well done! I also like the four door. It looks like it's in great shape.

And Evil95GT... got pix? I wanna see those flames! :yup:

thanks for the comments-

yeah- I thought it would 'shorten up' a pretty fat car...like the v6 look with black rockers- but on the gt, the black rockers looked out of place without doing the matching trim lines on the bumpers...

Archived