TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lemans Stripes

Mustang5

Hi Guys,

Well I just washed my baby last night for probably the 8th time. As I was working my way around the rear of the car drying, I noticed that my Vista Blue stripe was starting to come off. It's the piece that runs past the fake gas cap. It almost looks like someone got a big thumb nail under the edge and then lifted up. The raised area is about the size of half a dime. Has any one else noticed any thing like this? Does any one know if applying heat will reactivate the adheasive or will that just loosen it up even more?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Guys,

Well I just washed my baby last night for probably the 8th time. As I was working my way around the rear of the car drying, I noticed that my Vista Blue stripe was starting to come off. It's the piece that runs past the fake gas cap. It almost looks like someone got a big thumb nail under the edge and then lifted up. The raised area is about the size of half a dime. Has any one else noticed any thing like this? Does any one know if applying heat will reactivate the adheasive or will that just loosen it up even more?

Thanks,

Rob

That is very poor form if someone did it on purpose. It is also a pain to take off the faux gas cap but you can do it yourself to replace the stripe if needed. If the stripe is stretched or wrinkled then I would just replace it. Those stripes come as a pair and will cost between $60-$90. You will most likely need some new adhesive tape to reapply the emblem. I bought a piece on ebay for about $10.

Good luck.

Hey Rob,

My car had an issue very similar to this. I picked the car up from the dealer on Thursday. On Saturday when I was washing it for the first time, I noticed the stripe on the rear deck, just above the faux gas cap, had lifted a bit just about the size of a nickel. This was at the edge of the stripe, not in the middle, like you could actually look under the stripe. I smoothed it back down and it stuck for a few minutes but then lifted back up.

I suspect what happened is the stripe did not get smoothed out firmly at the factory and some water got under that area between then and when I got it, so the adhesiveness was no longer there. I took it back to the dealer and they ordered the new stripe piece (two actually since the affected stripe is laid under another one) and a new gas cap since the adhesive pad on the back of the original one wasn't in the best shape after taking it off.

Good luck!!

Kelton

Hey Rob,

My car had an issue very similar to this. I picked the car up from the dealer on Thursday. On Saturday when I was washing it for the first time, I noticed the stripe on the rear deck, just above the faux gas cap, had lifted a bit just about the size of a nickel. This was at the edge of the stripe, not in the middle, like you could actually look under the stripe. I smoothed it back down and it stuck for a few minutes but then lifted back up.

I suspect what happened is the stripe did not get smoothed out firmly at the factory and some water got under that area between then and when I got it, so the adhesiveness was no longer there. I took it back to the dealer and they ordered the new stripe piece (two actually since the affected stripe is laid under another one) and a new gas cap since the adhesive pad on the back of the original one wasn't in the best shape after taking it off.

Good luck!!

Kelton

Thanks Kelton, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I thought about trying to fix it myself, but if I screw it up the dealership may not take responsiblily for it.

Archived