TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More Horsepower

First I want to be clear that since this is posted in the Shelby GT/GTH topic, that you want to avoid it like the plague.   Virtually every supercharger kit produced for the 4.6L 3V engine pushed the horsepower to the very max that the engine could tolerate, somewhere around 500hp.   More than that and there is a very high chance you WILL explode your engine.  Just ask the several folks there that experienced it.    I just want people to not be misled that might later come along and see this topic thinking the rest of it applies to the 4.6L engine.  It does not.

But you say you have a 07 GT500, which was way overengineered and quite capable of much higher HP.  If you use SEARCH I'm sure you'll find that many did it and even find pointers to the places that offered the pulley/tune kits.

Ford Racing had several that started with pulley/tune to a higher volume Whipple supercharger.  Those even preserved the warranty (at the time) the point being that they were not going to explode your engine.  I don't know if Ford Performance/Ford Racing still has those for that old of a vehicle.

How many miles on the car?   It's not advised to take an engine that has a lot of miles on it and suddenly add a lot of HP without doing a lower end rebuild...   This has also been discussed. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

Given the expense of a new supercharger, a question I have for you is this:  What is the reason you feel you need more power?  I ask only because most supercharged cars have more power than can be used without spinning tires and making expensive smoke.  And any reason is just fine (you can "just want it" and that is a good reason).  I'm curious mostly.  You will get some great advice on Team Shelby, no matter what your question.

Jim Clark

13 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

First I want to be clear that since this is posted in the Shelby GT/GTH topic, that you want to avoid it like the plague.   Virtually every supercharger kit produced for the 4.6L 3V engine pushed the horsepower to the very max that the engine could tolerate, somewhere around 500hp.   More than that and there is a very high chance you WILL explode your engine.  Just ask the several folks there that experienced it.    I just want people to not be misled that might later come along and see this topic thinking the rest of it applies to the 4.6L engine.  It does not.

But you say you have a 07 GT500, which was way overengineered and quite capable of much higher HP.  If you use SEARCH I'm sure you'll find that many did it and even find pointers to the places that offered the pulley/tune kits.

Ford Racing had several that started with pulley/tune to a higher volume Whipple supercharger.  Those even preserved the warranty (at the time) the point being that they were not going to explode your engine.  I don't know if Ford Performance/Ford Racing still has those for that old of a vehicle.

How many miles on the car?   It's not advised to take an engine that has a lot of miles on it and suddenly add a lot of HP without doing a lower end rebuild...   This has also been discussed. 

4400 miles.  If i use SEARCH?  not sure exactly what i should search and are you talking search in Team Shelby?

13 minutes ago, clark17357 said:

Given the expense of a new supercharger, a question I have for you is this:  What is the reason you feel you need more power?  I ask only because most supercharged cars have more power than can be used without spinning tires and making expensive smoke.  And any reason is just fine (you can "just want it" and that is a good reason).  I'm curious mostly.  You will get some great advice on Team Shelby, no matter what your question.

Jim Clark

Just  looking to add some more cheap HP, just because i want to. Gonna put a cold air intake on it also. It has had headers, exhaust, and mufflers added already. It's been lowered and a BMR adjustable panrod added to the rear also, and tuned. And i have kept all original parts that have been taken off. I know i'll need to get it tuned again. Got the idea from Bitchin Rides. 

28 minutes ago, Barry A Schroeder said:

4400 miles.  If i use SEARCH?  not sure exactly what i should search and are you talking search in Team Shelby?

Low enough miles that a power boost shouldn't be out of the question. There are so many versions of which upgrade that you should just start by looking in this subforum:

https://www.teamshelby.com/forum/254-induction-super-chargers/

The reality is that this is a very old topic, so I'd start by scanning all of the topics and reading those relevant ones. You should go all the way back as the discussions for the most part have not had much traffic so would be near the bottom. 

One of the things you might run in to is that many of these mods might no longer be available...   And given the age of these cars, and the non-depreciated cost of a supercharger replacement, you might just find a 2013-2014 for what you it would cost to upgrade the 2007 plus the resale on the 2007.

In any case this topic is misplaced and maybe a mod can move it to the appropriate location. 

57 minutes ago, clark17357 said:

Jim Clark

There is more than a shred of truth to this.   Many who upgraded found that the weak link was the suspension due to more pronounced wheel hop, and other issues that basically prevented the horsepower from finding its way to the wheels/tires/ground, some even so with the base car.   That begat a whole cottage industry of aftermarket suspension bits.    Clutches then proved to be a weak point...  And then people found that with the extra HP the rear end would break loose and so people had to get better tires.  And so on.  The mods forum probably picks at this piece by piece, but I doubt anyone ever rolled up the entire 2007-generation GT500 "gotta have" list that makes the whole package perform. 

Additionally, Ford closed the gap over the years.  They took the accumulated mod list and incorporated them later. I think it was 2010 and then the 2013-2014 was about as good as it got.   As I alluded to before, by the time you mod your 2007 you could probably get most of by trading up to a 2010-2012.  Go too far and a 2013-2014 would do it. 

By the time  2013/2014 platform which by all measure is as good as the GT500 got.  Save perhaps now for the 2020 :)   Follow the mod forum and you'll see a pretty steady decrease in both what people did and what was available in the aftermarket.

Good luck.

Edited by twobjshelbys

On 12/17/2019 at 4:17 PM, twobjshelbys said:

My experience was totally different I tracked the living heck out of my GT/SC with a 550 whipple from SA, it dyno'd  at 497hp at the wheels.

Never even a hiccup in the drivetrain, not one. There were some tricks I did but nothing complicated. 

I also street drove it way hard, ask anyone I travelled with on Shelby runs. I also 1/4 mile tracked many times it's  best was a 12.077 on street tires.

I had the car for 7 years the S/C installed at SAI at 10k miles or so and sold it with about 30k miles on it on the STOCK clutch still.

Never have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel in a GT/SC car or they suck lean and bad things happen. ;)

52 minutes ago, SGT/SC#0471 said:

My experience was totally different I tracked the living heck out of my GT/SC with a 550 whipple from SA, it dyno'd  at 497hp at the wheels.

Never even a hiccup in the drivetrain, not one. There were some tricks I did but nothing complicated. 

I also street drove it way hard, ask anyone I travelled with on Shelby runs. I also 1/4 mile tracked many times it's  best was a 12.077 on street tires.

I had the car for 7 years the S/C installed at SAI at 10k miles or so and sold it with about 30k miles on it on the STOCK clutch still.

Never have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel in a GT/SC car or they suck lean and bad things happen. ;)

Agreed, there were very few issues with the tried and true Shelby/Ford offerings (mine was a 500+ HP Kenne Bell and I got 485hp at the wheels but that was also at 6000', and the convertible was supposedly detuned).   Shelby later adopted the FRPP Whipple.  But both pushed it to the limit of the 4.6L3V.  Those that went beyond had mixed luck, but even a mild-boost Paxton exploded Jeff's engine.  But we all know that and this was really asking about a GT500 which had a lot more margin built in.

2 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

(and the convertible was supposedly detuned)

Ok, now I’m hijacking this thread, because I find this very interesting.  My SGT 5spd feels like there is a giant hole at about 2200rpm at 1/2 throttle or so.  I have never put this car on a dyno, but I’m sure if I did there would be an ugly dip in the graph. My original thought was there was never a tune installed and with the more air coming in through the intake it caused this.  So was there a tune installed at SIA all in the SGT’s, or is it the standard GT tune?  

50 minutes ago, mfield2a said:

Ok, now I’m hijacking this thread, because I find this very interesting.  My SGT 5spd feels like there is a giant hole at about 2200rpm at 1/2 throttle or so.  I have never put this car on a dyno, but I’m sure if I did there would be an ugly dip in the graph. My original thought was there was never a tune installed and with the more air coming in through the intake it caused this.  So was there a tune installed at SIA all in the SGT’s, or is it the standard GT tune?  

Shelby GT's had the Ford Racing ProCal tune installed along with the Ford Racing Cold Air intake.  Pretty much every time a car has a cold air kit of any brand installed a tune is required.  There are a few exceptions to that rule.  The Ford ProCal tune is a very safe/moderate tune.  These cars are dogs in stock form.  I did 4.10 gears in my SGT with a manual trans, along with a Brenspeed tune to correct the speedo and a Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft.  These few mods made the Shelby much more enjoyable to drive.  It feels much stronger at all RPM's.  While the 4.10's really woke the car up, there is zero downside to them.  It feels and acts like it came from Shelby this way, and it should have.

26 minutes ago, noac said:

Shelby GT's had the Ford Racing ProCal tune installed along with the Ford Racing Cold Air intake.  Pretty much every time a car has a cold air kit of any brand installed a tune is required.  There are a few exceptions to that rule.  The Ford ProCal tune is a very safe/moderate tune.  These cars are dogs in stock form.  I did 4.10 gears in my SGT with a manual trans, along with a Brenspeed tune to correct the speedo and a Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft.  These few mods made the Shelby much more enjoyable to drive.  It feels much stronger at all RPM's.  While the 4.10's really woke the car up, there is zero downside to them.  It feels and acts like it came from Shelby this way, and it should have.

Thanks. Apologies, to clarify my SGT is a 08 vert.  TwoShelby’s referenced speculation that the verts were possibly de-tuned, and I was wondering if that was simply no tune.  I agree it makes zero sense, but I often wondered.  My 08 SGT is not tuned all that well, it’s not old gas or gummed up injectors or bad plugs.  Sounds like that is just the way they were, with a dip at 2200 when delivered?  Keep it above 2500 and it’s a blast to drive. Just a great balanced car even in vert form.

The Shelby GTs had the tune that came with the Ford Racing Cold Air Intake kit.   Civilians that ordered the kit got a tuner.  Shelby bulk ordered the kits in groups and when they were installed returned the tuner box to Ford for re-use on the next batch.  That is why the Shelby GT did not include a tuner box.  

So...   It is possible that a dealer somewhere along the way put back the original Ford tune.  There should have been instructions to the contrary in OASIS, but the old-wives-tales were some dealers did it anyway.   A dealer can tell you which tune is installed and the only place where you can get the CAI tune is your dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 7:47 PM, mfield2a said:

Thanks. Apologies, to clarify my SGT is a 08 vert.  TwoShelby’s referenced speculation that the verts were possibly de-tuned, and I was wondering if that was simply no tune.  I agree it makes zero sense, but I often wondered.  My 08 SGT is not tuned all that well, it’s not old gas or gummed up injectors or bad plugs.  Sounds like that is just the way they were, with a dip at 2200 when delivered?  Keep it above 2500 and it’s a blast to drive. Just a great balanced car even in vert form.

To be clear Two Shelbys was referring to the Kenne Bell S/C tune. All SGT's got the same tune. I found mine without the SC to be a blast. With the SC it was nutty. I have found the KR so far to be barely working to haul the mail on the street like the SC is rarely in boost, but it is winter too, in Seattle, LOL.

The convertibles I think did not have the full suspension upgrade however, look in old posts there was a difference between coupe and vert but not in the engine tune. I autocrossed and road coursed my SGT before it was whipped, it was a blast.

Edited by SGT/SC#0471
added info

I do

12 hours ago, SGT/SC#0471 said:

To be clear Two Shelbys was referring to the Kenne Bell S/C tune. All SGT's got the same tune. I found mine without the SC to be a blast. With the SC it was nutty. I have found the KR so far to be barely working to haul the mail on the street like the SC is rarely in boost, but it is winter too, in Seattle, LOL.

The convertibles I think did not have the full suspension upgrade however, look in old posts there was a difference between coupe and vert but not in the engine tune. I autocrossed and road coursed my SGT before it was whipped, it was a blast.

I am fairly certain that the Convertible GT/SCs yielded slightly less HP than the coupes.  There was something about body stiffness.