TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Radium catch can

KG13GT500

No.  "Catch cans" are one of those things that the only one that gets any benefit is the one that made it and sold it to you for 10x markup.    Think about it.

1.  If it were an essential part of the configuration, manufacturers would include them

2.  If you catch any more than a minor amount, then you've got a much larger problem than the catch can can fix

When I got my Shelby GT/SC the Keene Bell kit included one.  After almost 10000 miles there was barely a teaspoon in it.

The engine by design is more than capable of absorbing any oil blow by caused by it.  Essentially in a supercharged system you are intercepting what would be the PCV.  That return path is designed to re-capture exactly those products. 

Also, two of them are a waste.  One side is vacuum, the other exhaust.  If you get oil in the other side you've got a REALLY BIG problem.

Shelby sold them once.  I had an off line conversation with the person responsible, he agreed with the above, but said "people want to buy it so we'll sell it".

Edited by twobjshelbys

On 12/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, svttim said:

Ford recommends them in the GT350. 

I guess (no, more than guess) that I'd like to see some official Ford communication, ie, something like a TSB, that says so.  Otherwise they'd put one on...  And if so, then they are in a roundabout way acknowledging the oil consumption problem and if a catch can "fixes" it, then it's blow by and they know what the cause and fix is...

In short, Ford recommending a catch can is an admission, once again, to a much larger problem...  It just seems unlikely their lawyers would allow them to do that.

2 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

I guess (no, more than guess) that I'd like to see some official Ford communication, ie, something like a TSB, that says so.  Otherwise they'd put one on...  And if so, then they are in a roundabout way acknowledging the oil consumption problem and if a catch can "fixes" it, then it's blow by and they know what the cause and fix is...

In short, Ford recommending a catch can is an admission, once again, to a much larger problem...  It just seems unlikely their lawyers would allow them to do that.

I can dig it up later but, that is the 350, not a 500. I also used one in the race car and caught a lot of oil. Bot are run hard. I dont think its needed for a street machine

Yes, I understand the advice was for the 350.  The FPC engine has had lots of issues with excessive oil use yet noone has identified where the loss comes from or goes to. If Ford says put a catch can on and it fills then, as I said in my initial post, brother you've got a problem!   And if Ford says to put it there then there is an implicit statement it is part of a solution, then the whole "the Voodoo doesn't use any more oil than normal engines" sort of falls apart...  Sounds like class action suit time to me...   Like I said, find some official statement with a Ford logo on it...

PS.  It's still not a fix.  Noone has shown that the oil from this source feeding back through the PCV system is an issue, and in fact, proves that the PCV system is operating as expected.   If there is too much oil coming back through this path then the emissions would by hydrocarbon rich and they'd have emissions problems... 

My point about other vehicles remains.   With the possible exception that cars under continuous operation near  the redline MIGHT produce enough blow by for the catch can to fill.  That nonetheless is not fixing any problem since the engine is fully capable of absorbing it with no ill effects.  They typically hold only a few ounces so in all, it amounts to drops of oil over a long period of time, and even on the track, amounts to a few drops per gallon of fuel.   Claims of reduced octane etc. are bad science given the actual amount of product involved, less than the actual variation of the octane over different sources which can be as much as 10%. 

There was a good writeup of this in one of the tech journals that I mentioned when I had this discussion with Shelby but I can't find it now... 

Edited by twobjshelbys

The concern started with the 2007 GT500's, oil residue was caking up the supercharger vanes and intercooler, so the oil catch device was born. The new 2020 GT500 has one as standard equipment: 

https://www.motor1.com/news/385580/mustang-shelby-gt500-catch-can/

AED Tuning recommends installing an F150 5.0 PCV valve on 2011-up Mustang 5.0's to limit oil vapor flow into the intake, which I have done. 

I believe the GT350 engines have a wider part-clearance race-engine build tolerance, hence the oil blow-by. 

19 hours ago, 1 Alibi 2 said:

Any one who has seen an intercooler where one wasn't used, knows the results. This was also a big issue on the S197 site, members swapping intakes on their 5.0's found the insides caked with crud..

I had mine off twice and the intercooler was clean as a whistle. The only oil was around the gasket. 

5000   like I said,  if you have that much blow by you've got a bigger problem.  Yes, extended track type operation at the red line could be a different reason (but that use will consume lots of oil too).  But anyone else that is collecting more than barely detectable amounts has something that should be looked at.   Fix the root cause don't apply a bandaid.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Hi,

I have the bobs oil catchers, definitely worth for the passenger side, not at all for the driver side. 

cant see how this can hurt, I get a small amount in passenger side can , ( teaspoon every 3000)  saves it going into engine....

2014 Supersnake

4l whipple

Merry Christmas

7 hours ago, billbgt500 said:

Hi,

I have the bobs oil catchers, definitely worth for the passenger side, not at all for the driver side. 

cant see how this can hurt, I get a small amount in passenger side can , ( teaspoon every 3000)  saves it going into engine....

2014 Supersnake

4l whipple

Merry Christmas

Thanks for the info 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 GT500 with a stock 5.8 and am running Bob's on the passenger side as well.  I enjoy the car but don't beat on it continuously.  I check it every 1,500 miles or so and get a couple teaspoons out.  I would have all of that down in my intercooler so I believe it is worth it and doing a good job.  I wouldn't have one without it.

Tom