TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Getting a little differential clutch noise in turns

moabman

Don't know much about the limited slip differentials in the GT. Getting a very intermittent wah wah when turning corners after the differential heats up a little. Doubt that is normal. I had the stock 3.31 changed out for the 3.73. The drag pack came with a bottle of friction modifier but I can't guarantee that it was used. Any ideas drive train experts?

Don't know much about the limited slip differentials in the GT. Getting a very intermittent wah wah when turning corners after the differential heats up a little. Doubt that is normal. I had the stock 3.31 changed out for the 3.73. The drag pack came with a bottle of friction modifier but I can't guarantee that it was used. Any ideas drive train experts?

It could be that the gear clearance is just a little tight and may eventually go away. If in doubt on the friction modifier, you could add it and see if it solves your noise. I have done it a few times and noticed no ill affects of have 8 oz vs the recommended 4 oz.

If it really noisy, time to go back to the shop?

Thanks guys! It's been whisper quiet after the gear change for about 1000 miles (4 months). I can only hear the wah wah going around corners slow. Coincidently, this happened at the same time I flashed the new torque tune which has given the differential a little more of a workout. :hysterical2:

• 3 months later...

I just encountered this same noise on my GT500. Another local GT500 owner had warned me about the noise during turns - said he had it in both his Mustang GT and just recently in his GT500. The dealer was able to fix this in both cases. I just dismissed it as a non-issue at the time since I had never heard it on my car.

A week later I heard it for the first time while making a right turn into a parking space - the same sound that you describe. I took the car to the dealer to get it checked out and they plan to rebiuld/replace the clutch packs in the limited-slip. The service advisor said that sometimes the differentials aren't quite setup properly at the factory but indicated that it was not a frequent issue. I'll report back after they get my serviced next week.

Don't know on the GT500, but let me give some peripheral info....

1) I have a '69 Camaro with posi-trac. It chatters on turns if I don't add modifier about every 2 years. That stuff I use stinks so bad that if I get it on my clothes I just throw them out.

2) About a month ago my Honda CRV (4 wheel drive) started making funny noises when I'd turn hard at very slow speeds in a parking lot. At first I thought is was the front of the car...so I checked CV joints and other items...found nothing. Then I had my wife drive the car while I sat in the cargo bay. It was coming from the rear. I found out that the rear diff has some type of clutch plates, and I had to change out the fluid. the word on "the street" is that the friction modifiers in my Honda break down and need replaced sometimes. It shows in the owners manual to replace it at 60,000 miles...but I only have 42,000 on it. :redcard: I bought two quarts and did the job in 30 minutes. One trip around the cul-de-sac and the noise was gone.

In summary...try the modifier.

Thanks for the recent posts -Mine is still making the noise but it isn't getting worse. There is a service bulletin out on these but I switched out to a 3.73 and I did so knowing that if the differential goes south, it will be on me. By the way, I would switch out to the 3.73's again in a heartbeat even knowing that I may have to replace the differential.

I'm going to put the FRPP differential cover on and when I do, I'm going to add Royal Purple Synthetic Gear Lube AND a bottle of friction modifier. If the clutch packs get worse, I'm going to switch out to carbon fiber clutches in a new carrier.

I'll just let the dealer figure it out, but I will suggest the friction modifier. My GT500 only has 916 mile on it.

In lieu of repacking the clutch plates, the dealer found TSB 07-22-8, which says to add Friction Modifier. As far as I can tell the noise is gone. :happy feet:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived