TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Older 2016 GT350R versus refreshed 2019 GT350

gt350FAN

So ....I am new here and have yet to buy my Cobra...but will....soon

I have really really going in circles thinking about a few different Mustang options. The truth is, it will be pretty much most (if not all) street driving 

So for about the same money (my limit, 60k tops!),  there are 2 different options....

1) the 2016 GT350R with the electronics options...I assume more rare since it is the R, very cool, and those lightweight wheels are to die for, best spoiler of all the versions IMHO. Tomorrows collectors car?  

However,

2) they say for 2019 and past, the GT350 base has been tweaked and has a lot of very nice things....I assume better stereo option,  "fat boy" heated and cooled seats (I assume better for long rides), and it seems an improved Magnaride suspension over other base 350's from older years (?), and cooler rear spoiler now then the older base (but still not as cool as the R). And I really like the idea of the blind spot monitoring. These too, can be had close to / around the same as the older R (....but there is a strange thought that if I installed more of a street tire on this version, does that defeat the new re-tuning of the Magnaride anyways, since it might of been re-tweaked mostly due to the cup 2 tires they are shipping with now. Maybe thinking it has more grip then it really would have)?

3) Then there is a 2017 model, which in base 350 has the fat boy seat options, still had some cool colors like Avalanche Grey  and had the early Magnaride added to the base but apparently not the same. And...I liked the rims on the 2015-2018 base more then the 2019 and on base. This is nice since it's older, can save another 10k .... which is.... good. But again....love the idea of blind spot monitoring for street use. But that color!!! (blah blah blah) 

Anyone else struggle with these choices, and just curious, what did you decide and why? And maybe I am missing something I don't know about (improved motor parts? or??? ), again I am now A NEWBIE 

Edited by gt350FAN
typos and more

7 minutes ago, gt350FAN said:

Tomorrows collectors car?  

Possibly, not likely within your lifetime.

Don't buy a car like a modern GT350 thinking it will fund your retirement fund (if that's 20 years away) or pay for your grand kids college) if you're already retired.  There are simply too many of them built for major appreciation.  There are recent examples of modern Shelby cars still "wrapped in plastic" (delivery miles, no dealer prep, stored in garages) that sold at auction for basically MSRP.  If you're looking for an investment put the money into the stock market. 

I am sure your right twobjshelbys.

I watched a video where they say with the older R  years you can't let go of the steering wheel or get lazy as car will follow cracks and the road and get jumpy.  But some guy just got a 2020 R and already did his little video and said with the new GT500 front end stuff for 2020 R he could actually let go of the wheel, and it was really easy to drive. Are the "refreshed" (2019 and up) base 350's still that real jumpy, white-knuckle front end some people comment on? I wish I knew someone that owned ANY version of these cars, but I don't 

I don't know that the tracking thing you describe is unique.  I've driven cars on some highways, almost always the rain-grooved concrete, that the car almost becomes self-steering.  It's especially noticeable with my truck and the knobby tread tires, but I've seen it too with my wife's Honda.  There is a section of the 215 Vegas loop that is prone to it.     That said, the GT350 is a road track car so precise steering is to be expected. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 19R and I came from a 16. I love both cars but the 16 base model had to be steered. My 19 has the caster Camber plates and with a street alignment is easy to drive. I still have a little of the tramline but it really is minimal. Many have changed tires and they say it clears up the issue but, I cannot confirm that. I have a set of wheels and tires I use on the street. I have the Carbon Fiber wheels for tracking. That's mostly because I dont want to swap tires for track day use. The Base 19 is a great car and cut the advantage or the R in half but, even the 16 R is faster. A 19 R is supposed to be a bit faster then the previous years and the 20 a bit more so but, that will be a driver issue as usual. As far as investment, forgetaboutit