TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Headlamp Condensation issue

bill0754

OK....first issue with my Shelby since new (11 months). The passenger side headlamp started getting condensation in it. I took it to the Ford dealership nearest to me, and they gave me a difficult time. They said Ford will not replace it. I told them forget it, and took it to the dealership I purchased from. They ordered a new headlamp for me. Well now the fun starts......they not only chipped the front bumber, but the new light has started to condensate in less than a week, and it's loose!! They also used 1/4 tank of gas, and I know they were beating on it as my instant fuel econmy dropped from 19.2 to 18.8....and since I haven't reset in several weeks, it takes forever to move up or down. I called the service manager and had a nice talk to him. Now, I have to take the car back on Monday, wasting another day and more fuel. Anyone else go through any problems with the headlamp condensation or lousy service where they end up with a new issue?? Just venting

OK....first issue with my Shelby since new (11 months). The passenger side headlamp started getting condensation in it. I took it to the Ford dealership nearest to me, and they gave me a difficult time. They said Ford will not replace it. I told them forget it, and took it to the dealership I purchased from. They ordered a new headlamp for me. Well now the fun starts......they not only chipped the front bumber, but the new light has started to condensate in less than a week, and it's loose!! They also used 1/4 tank of gas, and I know they were beating on it as my instant fuel econmy dropped from 19.2 to 18.8....and since I haven't reset in several weeks, it takes forever to move up or down. I called the service manager and had a nice talk to him. Now, I have to take the car back on Monday, wasting another day and more fuel. Anyone else go through any problems with the headlamp condensation or lousy service where they end up with a new issue?? Just venting

I'm STUNNED to read this happening and they won't warranty it. This has been a chronic problem with Mustangs for the last 4 years now? You would think they would have solved it by now. My 04 had a factory recall for that very issue, though I never had the problem. I think the 03's had it too. If your Ford dealership gives you the run around, ask why previous year Mustangs had the issue fixed without complaint, and this year is getting the middle finger.

Sucks they chipped your bumper - fucking monkeys working at dealerships.

On a side note, I'd push for a new set of rear tires. I'd love to hear the explanation for driving your car when you are getting the freaking headlight fixed.

That's why I have a form that has to be signed by the head of maint. and the mechanic taking full responsibility for it. I would find the name and number for your regional Ford rep and send them this info along with a copy to the owner of the dealership.

I wouldn't ask for new tires...I would tell them I'm looking into legal action. You don't know what they did to your car.

A car this special has no place being in the hands of freakin idiots, monkeys and kids.

I would not back down at all on this.

Dealerships have to be accountable for the monkeys they hire. And trust me, if it were mine, I'd be a the owners front door of his house.

If this dealer is in Texas, please PM with the name, so I never go there.

Thanks for the info.

I always write the mileage down on the service form and let the service manager see me write it. I always discuss these things with them. You can say something like this: "I know you run a professional service department so you appreciate me jotting down my mileage on the ticket to protect you from me claiming that you drove the car unnessesarily while servicing it and I can be sure an unauthorized person has driven the car while you are servicing it." get him and you to initial the mileage. A good service department won't mind and would actually appreciate you doing this.

I will be meeting the Dealer's Service Manager on Monday to discuss this. I appreciate all the input you guys are giving me. I am more upset about the damage and driving the car than the condensation issue. Oh, the dealer is here in Central Florida, Don Reid Ford.

I will be meeting the Dealer's Service Manager on Monday to discuss this. I appreciate all the input you guys are giving me. I am more upset about the damage and driving the car than the condensation issue. Oh, the dealer is here in Central Florida, Don Reid Ford.

Hey Bill0754....ItalianStallion here.. What a bunch of crap on the service guys dogging your Shelby.

I would have sent Guido and Vito over to check things out to make sure this shmuck doesn't do this

again. I gotta tell ya...about 2-3 years ago a buddy of mine had his Chevy in for repairs and the mechanic decided to take the car for a quick spin. Well, after punching it around the corner of the dea;er, he spun out and took out the whole right rear quarter panel. Needless to say, the next day, this mechanic was fired.

These guys at the Ford dealer are lucky the same didn't happen to them on your car.

I have had 5 Mustangs and have similar problems with condensation. Engineers at Ford tell me although

it is not very apparent, small cracks will form on the plastic components, naked to the eye, but present

enough to cause condensation within. Kinda like the old distributor cap and the sluggish start thing.

The 64 million dollar question is why Ford Cannot prevent these small openings from happening, Drilling

a small hole will air out and let drain, but its cracks/smallholes that cause this problem. The only solution is to replace the headlamp assembly. You may alredy know this....

ItalianStallion

This is the reason I don't go to dealerships for service....sorry to hear about your experience!

The headlamp condensation issue is not strictly a Ford problem; I've had the same thing happen to three different Volkswagen models I drove in the past, and they say imports are better than domestic!

My experience with dealerships service depts. (Chevrolet, Volkswagen, and Ford) has been mixed. Some where great, others terrible. I would shop around and get a second opinion of who is and isn't good.

My best service, believe it or not, has been the corner Phillips 66 and Texaco gas station. You can use them for minor issues such as the headlamp issue or oil change.

I avoid dealership service departments at all costs whenever possible for just the reason you mentioned above!

With smaller service stations or independent service depts. you can sit there and watch them work on your car.

Of course if it is a major warranty issue like the transmission there is no way around it.

Definitely run this issue through the senior manager of the outfit and never return there again!

Good luck......

All the more reason to get to know your dealer, the manager, service guy, etc. on a first name basis. People tend to be less of JACKASSES with other peoples property if they know the person. As far as the head light goes, ive had other cars that are under the ford ownership that had the eventual problem of condensation in the head lights and they were replaced under warrenty. Its bullshniz if they dont do so especially after the F#@ked ure car up the way they did.

PS: i do whatever i can to make sure the car never leaves my sight when at the dealership for service. Its much easier to accomplish this when you know the people there well.

Hey Bill,

Its Roger. Sorry about your luck. Don Reid sponsors the local svtoa chapter so I am suprised at that. I can help you out with someone who does all my warranty work if you would like. PM me and I will let you know. As far as the headlight issue I have never had a problem. THis is my fourth mustang as well 99, 2001, 2003, 2006 and haven't had any problems.

Roger

Hey Bill0754....ItalianStallion here.. What a bunch of crap on the service guys dogging your Shelby.

I would have sent Guido and Vito over to check things out to make sure this shmuck doesn't do this

again. I gotta tell ya...about 2-3 years ago a buddy of mine had his Chevy in for repairs and the mechanic decided to take the car for a quick spin. Well, after punching it around the corner of the dea;er, he spun out and took out the whole right rear quarter panel. Needless to say, the next day, this mechanic was fired.

These guys at the Ford dealer are lucky the same didn't happen to them on your car.

I have had 5 Mustangs and have similar problems with condensation. Engineers at Ford tell me although

it is not very apparent, small cracks will form on the plastic components, naked to the eye, but present

enough to cause condensation within. Kinda like the old distributor cap and the sluggish start thing.

The 64 million dollar question is why Ford Cannot prevent these small openings from happening, Drilling

a small hole will air out and let drain, but its cracks/smallholes that cause this problem. The only solution is to replace the headlamp assembly. You may alredy know this....

ItalianStallion

Thanks for the info...they ordered a new headlamp assembly and put it in...but the new one condensated in less than a week! Plus it moves when you touch it! Talk about halfass mechanics! I am very upset about the chip in the bumper too....I don't feel comfortable with it, but am afraid to have them do any paint work.

All the more reason to get to know your dealer, the manager, service guy, etc. on a first name basis. People tend to be less of JACKASSES with other peoples property if they know the person. As far as the head light goes, ive had other cars that are under the ford ownership that had the eventual problem of condensation in the head lights and they were replaced under warrenty. Its bullshniz if they dont do so especially after the F#@ked ure car up the way they did.

PS: i do whatever i can to make sure the car never leaves my sight when at the dealership for service. Its much easier to accomplish this when you know the people there well.

Sadly, I do know the Service Manager as I have purchased 17 cars from this dealership. Hate to think what happens to new customers! I'll see what happens when I meet with him on Monday since he wasn't informed of this incident in person yet.

Hey Bill,

Its Roger. Sorry about your luck. Don Reid sponsors the local svtoa chapter so I am suprised at that. I can help you out with someone who does all my warranty work if you would like. PM me and I will let you know. As far as the headlight issue I have never had a problem. THis is my fourth mustang as well 99, 2001, 2003, 2006 and haven't had any problems.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I appreciate everyones suggestions and help. Alway a nice group on this site.

Sadly, I do know the Service Manager as I have purchased 17 cars from this dealership. Hate to think what happens to new customers! I'll see what happens when I meet with him on Monday since he wasn't informed of this incident in person yet.

I suspect HEADS WILL ROLL if you know the service manager as well as it sounds you do :superhero: . I hope all is resolved in your favor!

Hey guys, 500 miles and I noticed some condensation forming on the lower part of passenger headlamp, but nothing at all objectionable, yet!

Stay away from Ford!!!!!!

I take my car to my local gas station and exotic car dealership, both know me well and treat my cars as if it were there own. I feel for you as I don't think I could sleep if I were you :( sorry

Well.....as I expected, they claim it wasn't driven....so warning to all members. Write down your mileage when leaving at any dealership and check it again when you get the car back. As for the lamp and chip, they are ordering another headlamp and a bumper striping kit. When they remove the headlamp, they have to remove the bumper. At this time, they are planing to repaint and restripe the bumper. Not thrilled with this, but really don't want a big nick in my bumper.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I just imported a 2007 Shelby GT500 Cobra into the UK and having parked it outside my house on the drive I was amazed to see both headlights completely full of condensation as soon as the weather stopped being dry and sunny.

I read the handbook and followed instructions to run the headlights for 30 minutes but the although it cleared just a little there is clearly a LOT of water in there!

I have now had the car inside in a dry enviroment for 24 hours and there is STILL condensation in both lamps. I simply cannot believe that Ford can get away with selling a premium vehicle with such an obvious fault.

If you look very closely the headlamps have minor scratches on them which could be minute cracks and I guess this is not helping. THe car has only covered 150 delivery miles and over here we have no Ford warranty on imported cars!!!

Any sensible tips appreciated and does anybody know how long it takes from them to dry out indoors?

Many thanks

Hi,

I just imported a 2007 Shelby GT500 Cobra into the UK and having parked it outside my house on the drive I was amazed to see both headlights completely full of condensation as soon as the weather stopped being dry and sunny.

I read the handbook and followed instructions to run the headlights for 30 minutes but the although it cleared just a little there is clearly a LOT of water in there!

I have now had the car inside in a dry enviroment for 24 hours and there is STILL condensation in both lamps. I simply cannot believe that Ford can get away with selling a premium vehicle with such an obvious fault.

If you look very closely the headlamps have minor scratches on them which could be minute cracks and I guess this is not helping. THe car has only covered 150 delivery miles and over here we have no Ford warranty on imported cars!!!

Any sensible tips appreciated and does anybody know how long it takes from them to dry out indoors?

Many thanks

If water gets in then air should get it.

Perhaps a nice little cruise at about a 100 MPH for a few hours might do the trick! :happy feet:

Hi,

Many thanks

I would use a dehumidifier and dry the girl up a bit. Seriously.

If water gets in then air should get it.

Perhaps a nice little cruise at about a 100 MPH for a few hours might do the trick! :happy feet:

He is in the UK, he can't go 200 yards without hitting a speed camera :(

Welcome to the forums shelbygt500svt, the M25 still the worlds largest parking lot? :)

He is in the UK, he can't go 200 yards without hitting a speed camera :(

Welcome to the forums shelbygt500svt, the M25 still the worlds largest parking lot? :)

Stanfan,

The M25 is still a nightmare although its four lanes now and a little better most days. We do have some fast roads as well if your prepared to look for them!

I have already heard the Supercharger whine lets put it that way....

Shelby Dude,

Mine is also a Vista Blue with LeMans stripe but I have added C-Pillar Louvres which I think make it look more like the original GT500. THanks for tha advice I am planning a 3 hour burn at 100mph plus!

The Vista & the White car are considered the best "Shelby"colours over here.

Blayne9067,

Thats good advice and I will check the bulb seals. In the UK we have to change the light bulbs a little to pass the SVA test and this means drilling an extra bulb holder into he top of the light casing. It has been done very professionally and appears to be sealed perfectly.

Problem with any drying solution is that it will happen again as soon as its in a damp enviroment. F***** Ford.

Stanfan,

The M25 is still a nightmare although its four lanes now and a little better most days. We do have some fast roads as well if your prepared to look for them!

I have already heard the Supercharger whine lets put it that way....

Yeah I used to play "hide and go :censored: yourself" with the cops on the north circ and the a/M 40 but I hear they are all camera's now.

Archived