TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My 2009 Super Snake idle at 8.50 after warm up, adjustments? To lower a little???

SS730HP

That's about where mine idles...typically between 750 and 850 RPM.  Its a 2007.  If you are looking for service you can reach out to Shelby and see if there is a Ford dealer near you that sells the current Shelby line up.  If they sell the up-fitted cars/trucks they will typically service them as well.  Shelby did not deliver a tuner with the car.  If you have a tune issue typically you will need to contact Shelby and they will work with your service rep to diagnose the issue.  

GT

I think my idle is close to just barley below 1000 it’s definitely to high, Austin from Shelby told me to go to a place called JDM, he recommended I adjust a screw on the supercharger, right away I don’t want to take to him because ken bell said no screw can adjust idle, I hope the dealer can help me. No codes, only 3800 miles, runs smoothly, just idle to high, not comfortable to drive.

Have you updated your KB tune? I received my 725 back from Shelby in early 2009, Up until this past year I have had high idle issues also, not all the time but sometimes. I also had high idle issues at a traffic light, the rpms would stay at about 1500 for a little bit after I pushed in the clutch, and then drop after about 20 seconds. I contacted KB directly and they asked when my car had been tuned and what revision of T.B. that I had? I told Ken (at the time) that my car had never been touched since early 2009, he said that there had been a couple of tune revisions for the 2.8 725 and that the T.B. had also had some updates. I bought an entry level tuner from KB (with the newest update) and also sent a spare Dual 75MM T.B. (from a 2011 Super Snake) that I owned to them, it was a Version 6. They updated the Version 6 T.B. to  Version 9 and I requested the updated T.B. parts so I could also update the original T.B. that was on my car.

I updated the tune and installed the updated T.B. (and also installed the KB "GIMME 5" 5" C.A.I.) and I have not had the high idle issues since those updates and the idle rpm is usually 850 or so.

Also, if you install the newer update, the Dioblo/Mafia will not be compatible. <<<I removed it along with my original Black rubber Ford GT C.A.I. 

One other thing to mention............If you followed the Super Snake production through the years you noticed that the 2.8 KB S/C option changed from 725HP on the earlier cars to 750HP in around 2010 (maybe 2011), I believe the 750HP tune in what KB provides as the tune update for our 725's.

R

Edited by Robert M

So this is the situation now, I never received my tuner from Shelby when I paid $46000 for my super snake upgrade back in 2009, I called Shelby performance parts, they always send me to Austin at Shelby , he is no help at all!!!!!

he recommended going to JDM performance because I’m northeast, they recommend turning screws on super charger, NO CLUE THERE, I called Kenne Bell superchargers, about 6 times to help me getting a tuner, also sending 10 emails with pictures of super charger, vin number , serial number, super snake number, picture of the super charger, Rick finically answered the phone after multiple attempts of calling them , with the answer machien always picking up, finically Rick answering, says there still trying to figure out what to do, said he was going to get back to me? It’s been 3 days with no email, no returned phone call, he did mention that I might have to change my air box system, upgrade my throttle body before they will send me a tuner, WTF. 

I also called evolution performance , the first word out of the guy on the other side of the phone, we change the fuel ejectors, upgrade the pulley, do a tune, up selling me. 

I really wish I didn’t have to go through all this trouble , it’s funny I spent $46000 at Shelby on my super snake alone, and they don’t want to help me, they are the one that never sent my tuner with the car. So if anyone know what I can do? I’m all ears. 

Edited by SS730HP
Mistake on $4600 was supposed to be $46000

9 hours ago, SS730HP said:

So this is the situation now, I never received my tuner from Shelby when I paid $46000 for my super snake upgrade back in 2009, I called Shelby performance parts, they always send me to Austin at Shelby , he is no help at all!!!!!

he recommended going to JDM performance because I’m northeast, they recommend turning screws on super charger, NO CLUE THERE, I called Kenne Bell superchargers, about 6 times to help me getting a tuner, also sending 10 emails with pictures of super charger, vin number , serial number, super snake number, picture of the super charger, Rick finically answered the phone after multiple attempts of calling them , with the answer machien always picking up, finically Rick answering, says there still trying to figure out what to do, said he was going to get back to me? It’s been 3 days with no email, no returned phone call, he did mention that I might have to change my air box system, upgrade my throttle body before they will send me a tuner, WTF. 

I also called evolution performance , the first word out of the guy on the other side of the phone, we change the fuel ejectors, upgrade the pulley, do a tune, up selling me. 

I really wish I didn’t have to go through all this trouble , it’s funny I spent $46000 at Shelby on my super snake alone, and they don’t want to help me, they are the one that never sent my tuner with the car. So if anyone know what I can do? I’m all ears. 

I didn't received a tuner with my Las Vegas Super Snake back in early 2009 either. The updated tune that I recently loaded into my 725 came in a tuner that I bought from KB a couple of years ago, the new tune went in, the original tune is now captured in that KB purchased tuner and I have labeled  it "Original Shelby installed Super Snake tune".

It is a simple tuner, nothing fancy and it was easy to use........

002.jpg

003.jpg

.............and in the future, if there are other updates I can either send that tuner back to KB for the updated tune, or have them send it to me the file and I can move it from my PC/Laptop to this tuner for installation in my cars PCM. I am not sure if this tuner has the capability to store multiple tunes? or if the original Shelby installed Super Snake tune would be deleted if I were to download another tune in this tuner?

Also, that adjustment screw? That screw is adjusted/set when the T.B. is built and tampering with that screw can cause REAL problems. It is factory set for that specific T.B. and the T.B. motor is what controls the amount of close and how quick it closes. That screw has a spring under it and that spring is one of the items that is changed/updated as part of the updates for the dual 75mm T.B.

R

Edited by Robert M

This is the original 2.8 KB Dual 75mm from my 2008 725..........

004.jpg

.............and this is the "infamous" screw.........

007.jpg

"If" that screw is tampered with, and it causes the car to run incorrectly, I was told by a tech at KB that the T.B. would need to be sent back to the vendor who makes them for KB and it could be up to $200 to go through the T.B. and readjust it to its original specs.

Also, and this is a disclaimer.......................The KB Dual 75mm shown above, the original from late 2008 - early 2009? It may not be able to be updated to the most recent Version 9 specs. I just happened to have a Dual 75mm from a 2011 Super Snake was sold to my by the original owner when he changed to a Mono Blade, that original 2011 Dual 75mm was a Version 6 as stamped in the rear of the housing by the throttle blades. That V6 Dual 75mm (now updated to a Version 9) is what is currently on my 2008 725. My original Dual 75mm shown above........it has no Version identifier and that is an indicator that it "possibly" would not be able to be updated..........Just an FYI.

R

Edited by Robert M

First I like to say thank you for all the information, I do have an update, I waiting for Kenne belle to do my tune, I sent my data sheet, my 4 digit code from  my PCM catch code, you were correct about everything you said, it’s going to be $1200 , the old throttle body can not be updated to new tune, I going to receive a new polished throttle body, new filter, new piece between filter and throttle body , I don’t know plastic or rubber? He also told me that I couldn’t adjust anything will be locked out of tuner, that this should fix high idle, he said normal idle 690-730, also 750 hp, I not really sure if I can ever do any adjustments In future, I just want to be normal idle and have my tuner in case something happen in the future. The car is very rare due to color grabber orange, and is a 427 pace car edition, with the pace car decals. I am relieved with talking to rick at ken belle and your response, thank you, I post my results when I install throttle body, filter , reconnect map sensor and tune.

4 hours ago, SS730HP said:

First I like to say thank you for all the information, I do have an update, I waiting for Kenne belle to do my tune, I sent my data sheet, my 4 digit code from  my PCM catch code, you were correct about everything you said, it’s going to be $1200 , the old throttle body can not be updated to new tune, I going to receive a new polished throttle body, new filter, new piece between filter and throttle body , I don’t know plastic or rubber? He also told me that I couldn’t adjust anything will be locked out of tuner, that this should fix high idle, he said normal idle 690-730, also 750 hp, I not really sure if I can ever do any adjustments In future, I just want to be normal idle and have my tuner in case something happen in the future. The car is very rare due to color grabber orange, and is a 427 pace car edition, with the pace car decals. I am relieved with talking to rick at ken belle and your response, thank you, I post my results when I install throttle body, filter , reconnect map sensor and tune.

You will probably be installing the GIMME 5 5" CAI (Cold Air Intake) as part of this upgrade, I did that also. <<It is nice and shiny in comparison to the original Black rubber Ford GT unit. One other mention..............that GIMME 5 now comes with a Blue air filter.........I have requested a special order for a Red KB filter for mine through Rick, my car is Torch Red and I really wanted to keep the Red filter look, Blue to me would stick out like a sore thumb in an otherwise Red, Black and Silver/Polished engine compartment............But that is just me.......

Original KB CAI install from Shelby Las Vegas in early 2009......

015.jpg

Kenne Bell upgrade/updates installed a couple of months ago.......

001.jpg

002.jpg

.............and below, just a small detail item....Every time I would look at my CAI I would see those big Stainless hose clamps!!!! I FINALLY found a company who sells Black hose clamps for the turbo charger world, so I spec'ed out the diameters required for this KB GIMME 5 install and stealthed the CAI clamps so they do not "also" stick out like a sore thumb against the Black rubber boots.......Years (decades) ago I worked on appliances, and those large stainless hose clamps always reminded me of....."Washing Machine!!"

003.jpg

It is all about the detail.......even the little things.....

R

Edited by Robert M

• 4 weeks later...

I did install the throttle body, chrome tube the air filter, but the idle is better, but A little high, the said that it’s 850 which they said is normal ,would really like to be 700, I was told to call John Lund racing , I did talk to John Lund senior ,he said may be able to get 800, because of the large throttle body, I guess that may be ok, better then 900 Or 1000 rpm

3 hours ago, SS730HP said:

I did install the throttle body, chrome tube the air filter, but the idle is better, but A little high, the said that it’s 850 which they said is normal ,would really like to be 700, I was told to call John Lund racing , I did talk to John Lund senior ,he said may be able to get 800, because of the large throttle body, I guess that may be ok, better then 900 Or 1000 rpm

What did you have and now have for a throttle body? If a maximum-HP effort monoblade type, they are difficult to tune for a smooth idle so the idle speed is turned up to compensate due to low air flow speed through the larger, single venturi. Change to a dual or twin-type throttle body for increased drivability.  

I just talk to rick on the phone from Ken Bell , I have daul blade 75mm throttle body with the GIMME 5 5" CAI (Cold AirIntake) chrome tube , it came with a 5” chrome tube and blue filter, car runs smooth , just idle a little high

idle on car 850 , they says it’s normal?

6 hours ago, SS730HP said:

I just talk to rick on the phone from Ken Bell , I have daul blade 75mm throttle body with the GIMME 5 5" CAI (Cold AirIntake) chrome tube , it came with a 5” chrome tube and blue filter, car runs smooth , just idle a little high

Ok well that's good you have a dual blade throttle body. If it idles smooth with those mods I'd trust that the tune is a good one. My Ford Racing tune idles at 700rpm and I think it's too low, sounds like it's barely running and think it should be around 850- but my motor is stock otherwise. If yours is 850, it's because your motor is modded with larger MAF plenum, CAI, fuel injectors, supercharger, probably a freer flowing exhaust, etc; all of which together lower some of the drivability and comfort. The 330ci 5.4 is using very little air at idle and all the mods you have contribute to the higher idle speed. IMO, 850 isn't that high. Remember, it's not a luxury car, it's a modded Shelby with very high HP parts. Remember the old days before computer controls? My 1970 351c idled at 1200.

8 hours ago, SS730HP said:

I think that is about where my idle is with the dual 75mm and the GIMME 5.

One thing I did recently is change to the TR7IX NGK plugs, but I may go back to the TR6IX NGK's. The TR6 heat range is what KB recommends for their 2.8 blower in my configuration and the TR7's are one full heat range colder according to VMP's "GT500 Spark Plugs 101" information sheet. My car runs ok, but it does not seem to rev as crisply as it did with the correct TR6 heat range that has been tested and recommended for my car by KB. I also noticed that it seems that I have picked up a little more popping upon deceleration when free revving my car to about 3-4K in neutral. I did not need to change to the TR7's for any specific reason other than just trying them because they were the hype on another forum that I frequent.

I have the full 3" Shelby/JBA optional Super Snake 700 exhaust system that was available through Shelby Perf. Parts in the earlier days so my car is louder than most because of that large system. A couple of weeks ago I had my local/trusted exhaust friend change out the JBA X-pipe which gave a higher pitched revving sound for a MAC Prochamber which now gives the car a lower tone out the back......

BEFORE........

20191014-085556.jpg

AFTER........

20191014-142451.jpg

MAC claims the Prochamber is worth 30-40HP? IDK?........

I know that changing the oem 2.5" exhaust system with the Shelby installed Super Snake Borla catback to the full 3" Shelby/JBA with Ford Racing shorty headers made a heck of a difference in the way my car performs.

R

Edited by Robert M