TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is the Shelby GT Kenne Bell "2.6L" Supercharger compete or more parts needed?

Redrock

I have become increasingly more inspired to supercharge my 2007 Mustang GT after reading posts here on the forum. Can anyone advise me if the Shelby GT Kenne Bell "2.6L" setup Shelby sells on their site  https://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Z16-SHE-KB-46-TSS&CartID=1is complete other than the gauges, or will I need more, like a intercooler ect? 

Z16-SHE-KB-46-TSS-2.jpg

I would call Shelby directly for a shopping list.

I have the same setup. The boost-a-pump suffices but I would suggest a GT500 dual pumps. You'll need an intercooler, and bigger brakes for safety. Gauges are a nice touch but not required.

I think this is the unit that SAI used in the early days of the 08 GT/SC program but I don't remember a boost-a-pump so maybe it was different.  I don't see anything about plugs and don't remember if they were included.  Sometimes they get a cooler rated plug.  Maybe the 4.6 can't get enough extra boost to warrant it. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

18 hours ago, Redrock said:

I have become increasingly more inspired to supercharge my 2007 Mustang GT after reading posts here on the forum. Can anyone advise me if the Shelby GT Kenne Bell "2.6L" setup Shelby sells on their site  https://www.shelbystore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Z16-SHE-KB-46-TSS&CartID=1is complete other than the gauges, or will I need more, like a intercooler ect? 

Yes it is a complete kit. And yes it includes a heat exchanger.

Anyone supercharging a 4.6 should go with the GT500 fuel pumps from FRPP. Booster pumps are a cost saving part that is not optimal.

And as Tony mentioned, how many miles on your GT? Your 4.6 does not have forged internals so unless you have a low mileage GT I'm not sure supercharging a 12 year old vehicle is the right way to go at this time.

Steven

2 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Also before venturing into the Superchrger world, how many miles are on your engine?  The 4.6 can't take a lot of boost to begin with (as some members here can attest) and an engine with lots of miles might not tolerate the extra stress well. 

I didn't know that, I had been under the impression that doing a compression test on all 8 cylinders to make sure they all are still running strong, I'd be good. So if my car has right at 100k miles on it, its too much and I shouldn't consider supercharging?

Edited by Redrock
correction

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

Yes it is a complete kit. And yes it includes a heat exchanger.

Anyone supercharging a 4.6 should go with the GT500 fuel pumps from FRPP. Booster pumps are a cost saving part that is not optimal.

And as Tony mentioned, how many miles on your GT? Your 4.6 does not have forged internals so unless you have a low mileage GT I'm not sure supercharging a 12 year old vehicle is the right way to go at this time.

Steven

Ok, thanks Steven. If it were you where would i look to get good (100+hp) gains with a car with 100k miles?

1 hour ago, Redrock said:

Ok, thanks Steven. If it were you where would i look to get good (100+hp) gains with a car with 100k miles?

100hp from a 100,000 mile 4.6 is asking too much in my opinion. What good is the 100hp increase if the engine grenades 5 days later?

Cold air intake, cat back exhaust and a mild custom tune will get you around 25hp and a lot better seat of the pants feel. Anything more without an engine rebuild or engine swap is just a waste of money & effort. Others may disagree but its not their money & time that would be wasted.

Steven

On 9/23/2019 at 1:43 PM, SAI-Steven said:

100hp from a 100,000 mile 4.6 is asking too much in my opinion. What good is the 100hp increase if the engine grenades 5 days later?

Cold air intake, cat back exhaust and a mild custom tune will get you around 25hp and a lot better seat of the pants feel. Anything more without an engine rebuild or engine swap is just a waste of money & effort. Others may disagree but its not their money & time that would be wasted.

Steven

I've done that, Bama tune, Steeda cold air intake w/ a working ram air induction, Borla S Type catback, 4-10 gears ... would hotrod cams help, or will I need a rebuild with forged internals? 

Thanks again, Red

Good suggestion to just get a 13/14 GT500,

The OP could also consider yanking the 4.6 and storing it away, and then drop in a coyote. There are dozens of write ups about doing it on mustang websites. Some people order a Ford Performance crate engine and have it professionally installed, others buy a low mileage coyote engine out of wrecked vehicles and do it themselves quite inexpensively.