TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boost - how much does your GT500 show

tomi.omni

Hi there,

as mentioned in another topic, I just received my GT500 and now have only about 400 KM on the odo meter.

I feel the car is somewhat sluggish, as also mentioned in the other post, I am presently living in Dubai, and we have temperature this season up to 115 F (sea level).

When accelerating in 1st, 2nd and 3rd the boost gauge does not pass 8 or max. 9 psi - is that normal? What is the standart boost of the car? Did the dealer / plant maybe install a bad air filter (read something like that on a Test).

Please let me know where your boost gauge reaches (stock car), or what the normal figure should be.

The temperature furthermore should not have any effect on boost pressure, just on the efficienciy of the mixture right?

Thanks and reagards,

Tom

Hi there,

as mentioned in another topic, I just received my GT500 and now have only about 400 KM on the odo meter.

I feel the car is somewhat sluggish, as also mentioned in the other post, I am presently living in Dubai, and we have temperature this season up to 115 F (sea level).

When accelerating in 1st, 2nd and 3rd the boost gauge does not pass 8 or max. 9 psi - is that normal? What is the standart boost of the car? Did the dealer / plant maybe install a bad air filter (read something like that on a Test).

Please let me know where your boost gauge reaches (stock car), or what the normal figure should be.

The temperature furthermore should not have any effect on boost pressure, just on the efficienciy of the mixture right?

Thanks and reagards,

Tom

Mine read 7 on guage, but had 8 actual when read on the Dyno. Sounds like heat is going to be a possible issue for you. Mine actually pulled a couple degrees of timing on the dyno, temp was low 90's.

good luck

mike

There shouldnt be a problem with the air filter... that was a problem with cars built pre september 06... mine was built in august 06... but i havent experienced the problem and still running stock air filter.

As far as the thermal efficiency goes... the warmer the air (115 deg) the less actual air you can get into the engine. Because the volume of air and pressure of air going through the blower into the engine remain the same but the temperature increases... the amount of air molecules that can be crammed in decreases.

Hi there,

Thanks and reagards,

Tom

Dude: I live in Fort Mohave AZ. which is the hottest part of the Sonoran Desert Area of the Southwest U.S. Temps here right now many days in the low 120's F. On my GT500 in cool 70 deg. weather, I get 7-8 maybe a touch to 9 lbs. Right now in this hot time of year, 5 lbs. at best. If you're getting 8-9 and you have the high temps. I do, your boost is extrodinarily high, be happy or maybe your gauge is inaccurate.

AZbud.

Hi Guys,

many thanks for the many reply, so I can stay calm, I was just surprised that the gauge just reades approx. the middle of the scale, and that combined with the sluggsh feeling. Maybe I was expecting too much, will need to take a look at the Stage 1&2.

BTW, late yestday there was a 335 3-series, eventhough much underpowered, he seemd similar fast of the light (not a full start just starting of slow and then once I saw he wanted to race we hit it). At least I did not loose him till 3rd. Is that normal?

Tomi

Hi Guys,

many thanks for the many reply, so I can stay calm, I was just surprised that the gauge just reades approx. the middle of the scale, and that combined with the sluggsh feeling. Maybe I was expecting too much, will need to take a look at the Stage 1&2.

BTW, late yestday there was a 335 3-series, eventhough much underpowered, he seemd similar fast of the light (not a full start just starting of slow and then once I saw he wanted to race we hit it). At least I did not loose him till 3rd. Is that normal?

Tomi

If you didn't start racing him right off, and he got you off the line, then yes that would be normal. When you lose that first couple seconds, that is vital - He already has momentum and is in his powerband, you are just gaining it and getting into yours.

From a stop, if you were getting on it and getting traction, you should have pulled him pretty easily. Those cars are lighter than yours but you should still walk him. They have about 300hp rated, which from BMW usually means about 330ish - it's a twin turbo V6.

-DC

Stage II at sealevel ... 12.85

Hi Guys,

Tomi

Ya if he got a bit of a jump on you, then you wouldnt catch him right off. He was probably right in the sweet spot for those turbos to kick in and up the HP and TQ. If you both get off the same time and you dont loose traction, you will easily pull away with your much larger power band. The twin turbos will take a while to kick in where as the supercharge doesnt.

Archived