TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake lug nut wrench and socket

21 hours ago, gthgary said:

I have a 2017 Super Snake with SAI installed hardened wheel studs. Purchased new from a Ford dealer. Was it supposed to come with a lug wrench and socket because mine did not.

It's been quite a few years that any Mustang has come with a lug wrench. It disappeared along with the jack & spare tire.

Since there is no spare tire that would mean no roadside tire change where you would need a lug wrench. Since your car has the wheel studs I suppose you could put a extra long socket in the trunk if you are concerned that a tire shop wont have a socket long enough to clear the studs.

And of course if you ever add a spare tire in place of the inflator kit, then yes you would want to add both a lug wrench and tire jack.

Steven

Hi Gary (?) - I hope you are enjoying your 2017 SS as much as I love mine.  Here is what I do in case it helps.

Ford only supplied the inflator kit, which for anything other than a very slow leak is useless. Here is what I did...

1) In my trunk always:  I bought a jack from a Ford dealer parts department. You can also find it on fordparts.com.  I cut up a small piece of bicycle inner tube to put between the jack and the car so it never scratches up the pinch welds.  You unfortunately might have to buy the whole spare wheel kit to get the jack.  I keep a plastic tote in the trunk with the jack, a breaker bar, a small tire repair kit available at any auto parts store, a 13/16in socket for operating the jack, and a 19mm socket for the lug nuts.  I don't have the hardened wheel studs, so you may need to check the size for your lug nuts.  I also included a small ratchet with 7mm socket in case I have to remove the front splitter.

2) I bought an extra front and rear Super Snake wheel from Shelby and mounted tires.  Figured it would be good to have down the road in case I clip a curb right after Shelby stops making them.  I keep them in my garage as sort of a "honey come help me" kit in a pinch.  When I take longer trips, the extra front wheel just barely fits in my trunk wheel well as seen in the second picture.  I figure it should clear the brakes on front and back in a pinch, but haven't confirmed yet by mounting the front wheel on the back and driving on it.

My very first fun drive when I got the SS home I cruised up and down California hwy 1.  At one of my road side stops a branch punctured into my tire between the threads.  It didn't go all the way through until halfway home when pressure suddenly dropped and I barely made it to the side of the road.  When I called AAA, they refused to help saying they don't tow modified cars.  Have since read others on forums saying if you just tell them its a Mustang, there is a decent chance the driver that shows up won't care it's a Shelby.  After a couple of hours calling around tow companies, one finally came.  When he saw the car, he said he couldn't get it on his flatbed because it was so low it would scrape even with a few wood blocks underneath.  He told me if I had a way to take off the front splitter, he could have towed me onto the flatbed, thus the 7mm ratchet I now carry.  Instead, he fixed the flat with a kit like I have pictured and I was able to make it home.

Hope that helps.

John

EmergKit2.jpg

Spare2.jpg

On 9/7/2019 at 6:14 PM, T-Bone68 said:

Hi Gary (?) - I hope you are enjoying your 2017 SS as much as I love mine.  Here is what I do in case it helps.

Ford only supplied the inflator kit, which for anything other than a very slow leak is useless. Here is what I did...

1) In my trunk always:  I bought a jack from a Ford dealer parts department. You can also find it on fordparts.com.  I cut up a small piece of bicycle inner tube to put between the jack and the car so it never scratches up the pinch welds.  You unfortunately might have to buy the whole spare wheel kit to get the jack.  I keep a plastic tote in the trunk with the jack, a breaker bar, a small tire repair kit available at any auto parts store, a 13/16in socket for operating the jack, and a 19mm socket for the lug nuts.  I don't have the hardened wheel studs, so you may need to check the size for your lug nuts.  I also included a small ratchet with 7mm socket in case I have to remove the front splitter.

2) I bought an extra front and rear Super Snake wheel from Shelby and mounted tires.  Figured it would be good to have down the road in case I clip a curb right after Shelby stops making them.  I keep them in my garage as sort of a "honey come help me" kit in a pinch.  When I take longer trips, the extra front wheel just barely fits in my trunk wheel well as seen in the second picture.  I figure it should clear the brakes on front and back in a pinch, but haven't confirmed yet by mounting the front wheel on the back and driving on it.

My very first fun drive when I got the SS home I cruised up and down California hwy 1.  At one of my road side stops a branch punctured into my tire between the threads.  It didn't go all the way through until halfway home when pressure suddenly dropped and I barely made it to the side of the road.  When I called AAA, they refused to help saying they don't tow modified cars.  Have since read others on forums saying if you just tell them its a Mustang, there is a decent chance the driver that shows up won't care it's a Shelby.  After a couple of hours calling around tow companies, one finally came.  When he saw the car, he said he couldn't get it on his flatbed because it was so low it would scrape even with a few wood blocks underneath.  He told me if I had a way to take off the front splitter, he could have towed me onto the flatbed, thus the 7mm ratchet I now carry.  Instead, he fixed the flat with a kit like I have pictured and I was able to make it home.

Hope that helps.

John

EmergKit2.jpg

Spare2.jpg

I've had both of my GT500's flatbedded down to my tuner via AAA, never even gave it a 2nd thought.

You do have to be careful & take precautions so the front splitter doesn't get damaged..

On 9/8/2019 at 8:18 AM, gthgary said:

Hi John - thanks very much for all the information. Very helpful. I really appreciate you taking the time. Thanks again  

Gary

I carry one of those tire repair kits they work fine repaired several with tire on the car no problem .