TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pro Cal Ii Tool

duns

Are the Pro Cal 2 tools available for  07 SGT?

Im thinking I may need one after installing FP Hot Rod Cams.... But would also be able to have and save the original 07SGT tune that Shelby had loaded in.

Where can I find this tool?

The canned tunes that come with those tuner boxes tend to be pretty tame.  I doubt you'll find a stock tune that will just work with the cams. The reason is that the Shelby GT already comes with a custom tune matched with the cold-air intake system.  You'd need to build on top of that.   Most likely you'll need a custom tune.   You might want to consider this before going too far down the cam path.   John Lund comes to mind as a place to start but I haven't seen much about him lately.

Edited by twobjshelbys

11 minutes ago, SAI-Steven said:

Yup you definitely need a custom tune now. Once you have a custom tune loaded onto a tuner tool you will be able to save the Shelby tune to the same tool.

Steven 

A custom tune, meaning i have to bring it in to have it dyno'd?

Where can i get this pro cal 2 tool? I thought i had read that ford performance has keys for the pro cal tool? Keys meaning pre installed tune on the pro cal tool for certain mods for the vin on the car.

Im new at this, clearly im missing something.

Edited by duns

25 minutes ago, duns said:

A custom tune, meaning i have to bring it in to have it dyno'd?

Where can i get this pro cal 2 tool? I thought i had read that ford performance has keys for the pro cal tool? Keys meaning pre installed tune on the pro cal tool for certain mods for the vin on the car.

Im new at this, clearly im missing something.

Well a custom dyno tune would be optimal but is not really necessary. Custom tunes are built around what modifications have been done to the car.

I'll let others give recommendations on who to use as to avoid any conflct of interest.

Steven

40 minutes ago, SAI-Steven said:

Well a custom dyno tune would be optimal but is not really necessary. Custom tunes are built around what modifications have been done to the car.

I'll let others give recommendations on who to use as to avoid any conflct of interest.

Steven

Thank you. What i would really really like to do is have the original shelby tune right now just to have.... saved in a computer for safe keeping before the hot rod cams are installed. I dont know if that is possible or not.

This tunning stuff is new to me...

18 hours ago, duns said:

Thank you. What i would really really like to do is have the original shelby tune right now just to have.... saved in a computer for safe keeping before the hot rod cams are installed. I dont know if that is possible or not.

This tunning stuff is new to me...

Yes that is easily done but only if you have experience. Most tuners use a laptop computer with an obd-ii cable instead of a tuner tool but in your case I would suggest you just save the SGT tune to the tuner tool that will come with your new custom tune.

Its best to first choose who you want to do your custom tune and then work with them on your wants & needs.

Steven

On 9/4/2019 at 10:29 AM, SAI-Steven said:

Yes that is easily done but only if you have experience. Most tuners use a laptop computer with an obd-ii cable instead of a tuner tool but in your case I would suggest you just save the SGT tune to the tuner tool that will come with your new custom tune.

Its best to first choose who you want to do your custom tune and then work with them on your wants & needs.

Steven

Ok, so where can I get the original 07 shelby gt original tune file to download and save for safe keeping.....

Edited by duns

1 hour ago, duns said:

Ok, so where can I get the original 07 shelby gt original tune file to download and save for safe keeping.....

You can't get it on line.   The action taken by any of the tuners like SCT etc. that I've used is to exchange, ie, swap, a custom tune for the factory tune.  That is, it will first save the existing tune and then replace it with another.  You can't just find the factory tune sitting around somewhere.  As far as I know tunes cannot be copied from the tuner device either.  They can be emailed to you and loaded to the tuner, but cannot be copied from the tuner device to a laptop.  This is to prevent tunes from being copied and unauthorized distribution.

Ford does have the standard Mustang tunes, of course, but also has the Shelby/Ford Shelby GT tunes as part of their inventory.  Early on there were reports of Ford dealers incorrectly putting the stock Mustang tune onto Shelby GTs but that seems to have become an uncommon event nowadays. 

Edit:  Follow up to Steve's comments.   The person doing the tune does indeed use a laptop to make the adjustments to the existing tune.  "Tunes" are really just a bunch of tables that drive the outputs of fuel, spark, etc, based on inputs like RPM, altitude and temperature.  When a tuner creates a new tune he has a fancy editor that allows those items to be adjusted.  The one I used presented it much like a spread sheet.   After the table data has been created it is saved in a format that is compatible with the tuner device and the actual engine hardware.  The "tuner box" (SCT, Pro Cal) is an INSTALLER.  It knows how to chat over OBDII to the ECU and replace those tables.  Like I said above, it will most often, for your own convenice, swap the tables saving the old one first.

Edited by twobjshelbys

2 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

You can't get it on line.   The action taken by any of the tuners like SCT etc. that I've used is to exchange, ie, swap, a custom tune for the factory tune.  That is, it will first save the existing tune and then replace it with another.  You can't just find the factory tune sitting around somewhere.  As far as I know tunes cannot be copied from the tuner device either.  They can be emailed to you and loaded to the tuner, but cannot be copied from the tuner device to a laptop.  This is to prevent tunes from being copied and unauthorized distribution.

Ford does have the standard Mustang tunes, of course, but also has the Shelby/Ford Shelby GT tunes as part of their inventory.  Early on there were reports of Ford dealers incorrectly putting the stock Mustang tune onto Shelby GTs but that seems to have become an uncommon event nowadays. 

So if the file is emailed to me i can save it on my computer? 

2 minutes ago, duns said:

So if the file is emailed to me i can save it on my computer? 

Note I added content while you were replying, but, sure, you could save the attachment, but what to do with it?  I think you're trying to make this much more complicated than it is.  You would only be working with half of the equation, and if you get a cam and it comes with a tune, that device will save and restore THE TUNE IN THE ENGINE which is the version you want, not some emailed copy that has no chain of custody. 

7 minutes ago, twobjshelbys said:

Note I added content while you were replying, but, sure, you could save the attachment, but what to do with it?  I think you're trying to make this much more complicated than it is.  You would only be working with half of the equation, and if you get a cam and it comes with a tune, that device will save and restore THE TUNE IN THE ENGINE which is the version you want, not some emailed copy that has no chain of custody. 

Well i though that if i received the file email i could transfer it to a cf card and install it into the tool. I guess not. Thanks for the replies.

All of the tuner devices (that I know of) become married to a VIN when you install a tune.  Part of that wedding is the saving of the tune that was there before you install the new one.  I don't know if the tuner and car get divorced if in fact you restore the tune to the original factory tune (which would theoretically allow you to move the tune to another vehicle).  I don't know if they work like that or not, never tried...   I also don't know how well behaved these devices are if you start off with custom tunes from a different device. 

17 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

All of the tuner devices (that I know of) become married to a VIN when you install a tune.  Part of that wedding is the saving of the tune that was there before you install the new one.  I don't know if the tuner and car get divorced if in fact you restore the tune to the original factory tune (which would theoretically allow you to move the tune to another vehicle).  I don't know if they work like that or not, never tried...   I also don't know how well behaved these devices are if you start off with custom tunes from a different device. 

Yes tuner tools can be "divorced" from the original car. This is usually done by the tool manufacturer for a fee but just like smart phones I'm sure there are individuals out there who could "jail break" the tool although I would not suggest going that route.

As Tony mentioned Ford service departments have the SGT tune on file but they are not going to just sell the tune to someone over the counter. You would need to take a SGT into the dealership and have them upload the tune onto the car.

In my opinion you are getting in over your head here. You already have the oem SGT tune on your car so if you do not have the experience/knowledge to move that tune to a computer or SD card I would suggest you leave this job to a professional tuner.

Quoting Clint Eastwood in the movie Magnum Force, A man's got to know his limitations.

Best of luck

Steven