TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pull the Pin

duns

Ok... so we have hood pins on our SGT's.

Inserting the hood pins from the outside or from the inside. 

Which do you prefer and why?

What is the correct placement?

Do your hood pin lanyards match same as left and right?

Lets see some pics! 

Edited by duns

1 hour ago, mhr1961 said:

here is an old topic about hood pins..........

Thanks but this post is "from which direction do you slide your pins in" from the outside in or do you slide your pins in from inside to out.

Not about rust.

I don't think there really is a correct placement, I typically run the pins in from the outside, If I am feeling wild and crazy,  I run them from the inside........if you want to be really kooky you can rotate the hood mount base 90 degrees and run the pins in from the front, or the rear.........some of the factory advertisements show the pins inserted from the outside, some show the pins inserted from the inside.........doesn't really matter, its personal preference.

Image result for dare to be different

Edited by mhr1961

3 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

I don't think there really is a correct placement, I typically run the pins in from the outside, If I am feeling wild and crazy,  I run them from the inside........if you want to be really kooky you can rotate the hood mount base 90 degrees and run the pins in from the front, or the rear.........some of the factory advertisements show the pins inserted from the outside, some show the pins inserted from the inside.........doesn't really matter, its personal preference.

Image result for dare to be different

Curious how they came from Shelby...

I also put mine outside-in.

But I have a different doubt. What about the pin notch? Do you use it up or down?  If I put mine up, the pin slides loose. So I put it down, then the pin hood covers get all scratched...

I'm considering to adjust the height of the vertical pin, putting some (little) pressure on the horizontal pin so it stay locked in place. What do you think?

My concern is that I just take a brand new pair of pin covers (from Shelby Auctions on eBay, nice transaction) and don´t want to see it  scratched like the old ones...

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8724.jpg

IMG_8723.jpg

38 minutes ago, Amadeu said:

I also put mine outside-in.

But I have a different doubt. What about the pin notch? Do you use it up or down?  If I put mine up, the pin slides loose. So I put it down, then the pin hood covers get all scratched...

I'm considering to adjust the height of the vertical pin, putting some (little) pressure on the horizontal pin so it stay locked in place. What do you think?

My concern is that I just take a brand new pair of pin covers (from Shelby Auctions on eBay, nice transaction) and don´t want to see it  scratched like the old ones...

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8724.jpg

IMG_8723.jpg

Yes adjust the actual pin lower, about a quater inch by the looks of it. Might take a few tries before you find the sweet spot. I'd leave the old ones on till you get the pin at the right level, then replace the plates. BTW, you should also replace your stainless screws with aluminum if you haven't already.

The pins need to be lowered, they're set too high. Loosen and adjust the two nuts that attach the pins to the radiator frame and lower the pins about a quarter inch.  You might have to tweak them a few times up or down to get everything snug. Use your old plates to get the pins right before you put the new plates on,. Your lanyards should be up, not down like you show in your photos.

1 hour ago, BlackSGT said:

The pins need to be lowered, they're set too high. Loosen and adjust the two nuts that attach the pins to the radiator frame and lower the pins about a quarter inch.  You might have to tweak them a few times up or down to get everything snug. Use your old plates to get the pins right before you put the new plates on,. Your lanyards should be up, not down like you show in your photos.

Great! That what I was thinking to do. I will try, thanks!

BTW, good ideia, make it first with old covers. :)

7 hours ago, BlackSGT said:

Yes adjust the actual pin lower, about a quater inch by the looks of it. Might take a few tries before you find the sweet spot. I'd leave the old ones on till you get the pin at the right level, then replace the plates. BTW, you should also replace your stainless screws with aluminum if you haven't already.

I will look for aluminium screws. It isn't something readily available around here. In any case, my hood already has signs of galvanic corrosion, so this is something I will have to address in the (hopefully near) future.

Edited by Amadeu
Typos

On 9/6/2019 at 1:43 PM, BlackSGT said:

Yes, put a little tension by adjusting the height of the vertical pins to prevent the pin from sliding/moving in the pin plate cradle. It will require several opening and closings of the hood. My recommendation is to remove the hood latch bar, so it doesn't catch, then you can open and close the hood without having to pop the latch every time from inside the car.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:11 PM, Amadeu said:

A quick photo showing the after! :) Still struggling with the ring.... it loses from the pin when I lift it, but way better than what was before.

IMG_8932.jpg.873766e28efbb6e36df576e3bc793f15.jpg

You now have it installed correctly. The Ring is designed to sort of "snaps" down, you do not have to adjust the pin height to keep it in place, That is what the ring is for.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:11 PM, Amadeu said:

A quick photo showing the after! :) Still struggling with the ring.... it loses from the pin when I lift it, but way better than what was before.

IMG_8932.jpg.873766e28efbb6e36df576e3bc793f15.jpg

Once those "rings" lose their shape its almost impossible to get the rings to stay with the pin. Best to just replace the pin lanyards with new ones.

Steven

10 hours ago, SAI-Steven said:

Once those "rings" lose their shape its almost impossible to get the rings to stay with the pin. Best to just replace the pin lanyards with new ones.

Steven

Steven,

Thanks for the info. I went through the Shelby Store online and didn't manage to find replacements to the pins and/or lanyards. Do you know if they have this item?

Many thanks!

14 hours ago, Amadeu said:

Steven,

Thanks for the info. I went through the Shelby Store online and didn't manage to find replacements to the pins and/or lanyards. Do you know if they have this item?

Many thanks!

Give SPP a phone call to see if they have any loose lanyards. Odds are they wont as the lanyards are the weak link of the hood pin kit.

You might have to purchase the full hood pin kit or look around the internet to see if anyone sells just the lanyards.

• 2 weeks later...

I go outside in (first photo of the passenger side pin), but because they move around (will try tightening up the post next week) I've always tucked the cord between the pin and the "ring", as seen in the second photo of the pin on the drivers side.

These are both still the original parts that came with my SGT. The little bit of rubber that is still left slides down the cord all the time.

I usually try to get the "loop" the cord makes going to the inside, or center, of the hood.

Which way do you prefer?

hood pin 2.jpg

hood pin1.jpg

2961.jpg

• 4 weeks later...