TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New tires?

JHawk

Mine appear to be about 6 years old according to the sidewalls. And there is some cracking. It is certainly more about age rather than mileage with the current set of tires. I would prefer some type of all-season performance tires. Michelins, Bridgestones or ????? I won't be taking this to the track or driving hard and fast. Just need decent all seasons. Recommendations anyone?

Edited by JHawk

16 hours ago, Secondo said:

Highly recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Plus tires. All season tire with as much or more grip than many summer performance tires and double the treadwear! Very smooth and quiet, too. 

Thank you! That was the one tire that kept surfacing when I did the Tire Rack search. I think I will go with those! Appreciate it.

Probably late to your need, but I second the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ recommendation. Haven't run them on my Shelby, since it sits in storage during inclement weather, but they're phenomenol on my wife's BMW. If I needed A/S tires on the Shelby, they would be MPSAS3+.

7 hours ago, Norton said:

Probably late to your need, but I second the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ recommendation. Haven't run them on my Shelby, since it sits in storage during inclement weather, but they're phenomenol on my wife's BMW. If I needed A/S tires on the Shelby, they would be MPSAS3+.

Mine will not go outside for rain or snow. Ever. I just feel like the all-season tires will better suit what i will do with the car. It won't do track time. Short drives, occasional longer drives or trips, but to have all-season tires "just in case" makes the best sense for me. I believe my brother-in-law's AMG GT came with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and he loves them. But he also takes his to the track (Heartland Park in KS, and Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX).

7 hours ago, JHawk said:

Mine will not go outside for rain or snow. Ever. I just feel like the all-season tires will better suit what i will do with the car. It won't do track time. Short drives, occasional longer drives or trips, but to have all-season tires "just in case" makes the best sense for me. I believe my brother-in-law's AMG GT came with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and he loves them. But he also takes his to the track (Heartland Park in KS, and Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX).

If yours will never see inclement weather, you should conisder Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I migrated to those last year, when Michelin began phasing out Pilot Super Sports in favor of them. Not as aggressive as your brother-in-law's Sport Cup 2 tires, but an excellent choice for the type of service you describe.

Edited by Norton

1 hour ago, Norton said:

If yours will never see inclement weather, you should conisder Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I migrated to those last year, when Michelin began phasing out Pilot Super Sports in favor of them. Not are aggressive as your brother-in-law's Sport Cup 2 tires, but an excellent choice for the type of service you describe.

Ok, thanks I will check that out. That AMG GT is one bad vehicle. To me it sounds more like a Shelby GT350 type of engine. - guttural exhaust sound, more like an American car. But it is a fine automobile. He is definitely a Mercedes man, but the good thing is, he loves our GT500!