TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Coolant additives

Has anybody put in any additives like Water Wetter or any other product. Also do you know if you can put in the inner cooler reservoir to help lower that temp too?

That's a good question - because as much performance as we lose when the engine heats up on the GT500...would be a good thing to help it run cooler if possible.

I use Water Wetter in the radiator and intercooler in my Lightning. Many L owners do as well. Can't say that it makes a huge difference in performance but it certainly does not hurt. I am under the impression that the loss of timing advance is a function of the intake air temperature, not the temp of the motor or supercharger. I assume the aftermarket will be coming out with a larger intercooler for the GT500 like they have for the L and the Cobra.

I use Water Wetter in the radiator and intercooler in my Lightning. Many L owners do as well. Can't say that it makes a huge difference in performance but it certainly does not hurt. I am under the impression that the loss of timing advance is a function of the intake air temperature, not the temp of the motor or supercharger. I assume the aftermarket will be coming out with a larger intercooler for the GT500 like they have for the L and the Cobra.

Good point Fast...I believe you are correct as I now remember some of the guys with the 99 - 2004's were going to Radio Shack for a different resistor that changed the intake air temp reading and kept the timing from being retarded to such a degree.

Replaceing the intercooler coolant with a mix of distilled water and Water Wetter will actually help a small amount. Not enought that most folks would notice but could be measured as a delay in the rate at which the IA temp rises. The only real solution is a larger intercooler radiator with better air flow across it.

Changing the coolant in the engine cooling loop will not change anything unless your car is over heating. Thankfully we have not heard of many GT500s going there yet. I beat on mine pretty hard at Hallet for 2 days and had no engine cooling issues at all. Intake air.....well you know. Waiting for winter...

If you are concerned about warranty issues, stay with the recommended coolant.

Some additives do not have a lubricant in them. The lubricant is necessary to maintain water pump life.

Some additives do not have enough corrosion protection in them. Lack of corrosion protection can wreak havoc on aluminum heads, radiators, coolers and other metal components.

I just bought today as a matter of fact two bottles of Purple Ice coolant additive. I have been chatting back and forward with their tech. dept. for a few days. I will be adding next week when I have my Stage II installed.

Royal Purple claims to see and reduction in temps up to 15-20F

I just bought today as a matter of fact two bottles of Purple Ice coolant additive. I have been chatting back and forward with their tech. dept. for a few days. I will be adding next week when I have my Stage II installed.

Royal Purple claims to see and reduction in temps up to 15-20F

Give us before and after readings in your intercooler loop. Would be interesting.

Won't make any difference in the engine coolant loop as it is regulated by the thermostat unless overheating.

Well, adding water wetter to the existing coolant likely will not void your warranty as it would be difficult for a dealer or Ford to detect unless lab analysis was done. Not likely unless there is some reason to expect it as a problem. On the other hand, adding water wetter to EG coolant has very little effect. Water wetter mixed with distilled water is FAR more effective and it also a very good anti corrosive agent. But they could tell the difference then.

Just for info, water wetter in distilled water is all I ever ran in several race cars and in computer water cooling systems. Corrosion is unheard of. Provides NO freeze protection though. It works as a surfactant and increases the rate at which heat is transferred between the coolant and the metal objects it contacts.

I am running Half coolent / water and water weter in the IC

FYI, I did this mod over the weekend so when at the strip i could cool it dowm faster it works. To test i beat on the car shut if shut it off, the IC temp was 130* . With the Fan and pump on for ten min. it was down to 90* really does the job

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...amp;#entry49973

I am running Half coolent / water and water weter in the IC

FYI, I did this mod over the weekend so when at the strip i could cool it dowm faster it works. To test i beat on the car shut if shut it off, the IC temp was 130* . With the Fan and pump on for ten min. it was down to 90* really does the job

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...amp;#entry49973

Unless you know how long it takes to cool the same number of deg. with only coolant/water, you can't know if the water wetter did you any good at all. It does, but when mixed with EG based coolant it will be a very small improvement.

Archived