TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 super snake value

Joseph Trivison

First, you really don't need to post the same topic more than once...   Hopefully the discussion will continue in one place.

Let me give you some personal experience advice on a "in the wrapper" car.   When I bought my Ford GT it had 1300 miles on it and it was already 5 years old.  The paperwork trail showed it had sat for about 5 years, one of those "museum pieces".  

First thing I did was replace every liquid in the car.  Oil, transmission fluid, coolant, clutch. If it ran, it got changed.  About $3000 bucks in labor and materials.

Every belt.  Another 2000

New tires (unsafe at speed after date stamped on tire).  Another 2000

Got it home, fun drive.  Started making funny noises from engine compartment.   Warned by place that did all the above services that a small amount of oil was noticed around supercharger.   Indeed, bearings at pulley had gone flat from belt tension.  Another $2000.

So these "zero miles" cars, while they look pretty, are perhaps best left as museum pieces.  

Expect to pay some to recover it from improper long term storage.   Basically, it's not worth a premium over any other used 2009 Supersnake.  Indeed they are a premium automobile, but unless it was properly curated, it's not worth any more than any other.  And that goes double if you are actually going to drive it and not just park it in your living room. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

IMHO a 605 base package and with way to low mileage.....the asking prices are usually to high.

Purchasing a 07-09 Super Snake you are better off getting a Kenne Belll 725/750 hp car.

im guessing very few US citizens are ok paying above 50k for a 605 hp base Super Snake.

New cars are way better and more hp.

Just my 2 cents

2 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

First, you really don't need to post the same topic more than once...   Hopefully the discussion will continue in one place.

Let me give you some personal experience advice on a "in the wrapper" car.   When I bought my Ford GT it had 1300 miles on it and it was already 5 years old.  The paperwork trail showed it had sat for about 5 years, one of those "museum pieces".  

First thing I did was replace every liquid in the car.  Oil, transmission fluid, coolant, clutch. If it ran, it got changed.  About $3000 bucks in labor and materials.

Every belt.  Another 2000

New tires (unsafe at speed after date stamped on tire).  Another 2000

Got it home, fun drive.  Started making funny noises from engine compartment.   Warned by place that did all the above services that a small amount of oil was noticed around supercharger.   Indeed, bearings at pulley had gone flat from belt tension.  Another $2000.

So these "zero miles" cars, while they look pretty, are perhaps best left as museum pieces.  

Expect to pay some to recover it from improper long term storage.   Basically, it's not worth a premium over any other used 2009 Supersnake.  Indeed they are a premium automobile, but unless it was properly curated, it's not worth any more than any other.  And that goes double if you are actually going to drive it and not just park it in your living room. 

Really good advice... Thank you!  What do u think its worth?  I do plan on driving it....

I won't wager a guess since I don't follow this market.  Just like any market you need to find comparable sales.  Look at actual sales on ebay (not expired auctions, but SOLD listings and the high bid on others),  and listings on Bring A Trailer for completed sales.  The usual places like Auto Trader have sales but only asking prices and you never see what (if ever) they sell for. 

I'll reiterate that if you're going to drive it it's not worth materially more than one with miles.  Then adjust for the services that haven't been done that would have had it even 4000 or 5000 miles and that you will need anyway.  Unfortunately "starting it" can't be verified since the ECU doesn't keep track of "engine operating hours" (like farm and other heavy equipment!)  Make offer accordingly. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

1 hour ago, Joseph Trivison said:

In the end, I suppose, is what someone is willing to pay.

Exactly.  You won't get a word from Shelby American - they are a builder not a broker/seller.  And the best anyone here can do is comb the recent sales, apply the standard include-exclude criteria (ie, a salvage car would be excluded no matter what the price), ie, criteria similar to a real estate appraisal, and come up with a price range.

The problem with cars like this is they are thinly traded so a real market is hard to determine since it is purely willing seller/willing buyer.   All of the places that give prices (like Kelly Blue Book) do so based on dealer numbers and grades where the volume is high enough to be statistically meaningful. There aren't enough SS numbers to do that.

Good luck with your search.