TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Side scoop question to super snake owners

08 KR owner here and wondering about the upper/lower side scoops offered by Shelby for the supersnake. Takes me back to my 68 KR days and love those scoops......

Anyway does anyone know how these are mounted as all the aftermarket junk shows them being installed with 3M tape adhesive. I know that they make a great tape product but I cringe at what that will look like years down the road . hoping the Shelby products mount differently . Thanks for INFO ahead of time.

red scoops.jpg

The 2007 and 2008 SGTs have side scoops and they are held on by 3M adhesive.  I have not heard anything about them coming off.  My car is a 2008 SGT that has been up to 172 mph (at the Terlingua high speed run) and mine continue to be firmly affixed.  Don't know if that helps or not.   Good luck.

Jim

Thanks Jim and I'm not concerned about them coming off . It's the long term effect of a 3m Adhesive foam as it ages. Of course I manage a Composite  Materials Research Laboratory where we test just about everything and anything and how materials degrade over time/heat/light/moisture. The foam tape will eventually degrade to some extent and I'm thinking long term down the road. Guess I'll go without. 

6 hours ago, clark17357 said:

The 2007 and 2008 SGTs have side scoops and they are held on by 3M adhesive.  I have not heard anything about them coming off.  My car is a 2008 SGT that has been up to 172 mph (at the Terlingua high speed run) and mine continue to be firmly affixed.  Don't know if that helps or not.   Good luck.

Jim

The CASPCL side scoops used on the 2006-08 GT & GTH cars also have mechanical fasteners besides the adhesive tape.

7 hours ago, krman said:

Anyway does anyone know how these are mounted as all the aftermarket junk shows them being installed with 3M tape adhesive. I know that they make a great tape product but I cringe at what that will look like years down the road . hoping the Shelby products mount differently . Thanks for INFO ahead of time.

Yes the 1/4 window scoops from Shelby are held on using adhesive tape. In my opinion more concern should be placed on how well the scoops were installed. Mounting surfaces prepped,  outside temps during installation, things like that are more important to me.

Steven

I have no fear that 3M adhesive tape when properly applied will last and hold without issue. It's used industry wide on may different applications.

Mine is more a desire to mechanically attach for both long term aging / thermal cycling of the adhesive and to be able to quickly remove if desired without fear of injuring the paint when/if I peel it back off.Of course I don't want to drill any holes in the quarter panels either so I understand this is the way to go but was "hoping" I guess.

In reality though I'll probably be gone by then and the kids will have to deal with it right ?? I still love the look so might be swayed anyway!