TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500KR 8.8 Explorer/Mountaineer cover question....

Not all KRs got an ugraded cover, but the ones that did (the later cars) all had the black cover, as pictured.

Jer

6 hours ago, Jer said:

Not all KRs got an ugraded cover, but the ones that did (the later cars) all had the black cover, as pictured.

Jer

Hi Jer, good to see you post.

There is a KR out there that is missing it's Shelby installed Black cover, the one shown in my picture was purchased from a Dodge dealership a few years ago where a KR was traded in and the cover was in a FRPP G2 cover/girdle box in the trunk. Apparently the owner changed to the low profile FRPP G2 cover and the G2 box with the original KR cover were included with the trade-in KR. I bought it  from that Dodge dealership.

Wouldn't it be crazy if an owner on here saw this post and knew they had bought their KR from a Dodge dealership and their KR had a FRPP G2 cover???

Thanks for your input Steve.

.........and Joe (FiaCobra), your axle assembly looks beautiful!! Is it bare steel cleared (after de-rust) or sprayed a similar color Silver to replicated the bare steel look? It looks great!

It is always nice to look up under a 2007-2010 GT500 and not see rust as the first thing that catches your eye.

R

Edited by Robert M

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. As for my axle, when I first got the car, I painted the rear axle assembly with "Hammered" by Rust-Oleum. It taped the stickers and took my time doing the entire assembly. Took me 3 days but the results came out great. I used the brush on paint as opposed to spray paint. I don't like working with spray paint.

silver-rust-oleum-stops-rust-protective-enamels-7213502-64_1000.jpg

19 hours ago, FiaCobra said:

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. As for my axle, when I first got the car, I painted the rear axle assembly with "Hammered" by Rust-Oleum. It taped the stickers and took my time doing the entire assembly. Took me 3 days but the results came out great. I used the brush on paint as opposed to spray paint. I don't like working with spray paint.

silver-rust-oleum-stops-rust-protective-enamels-7213502-64_1000.jpg

That Silver Hammertone gives a Very Nice look.

You may have seen it before (or maybe not), but I did the 8.8 in my 2008 also, it was very time consuming and half way through I let the project lay for a few weeks, I don't think I would do it again, but I completely de-rusted my axle assy., even inside the coil spring perches, and then used 00 steel wool to completely buff the bare metal at first and the 0000 for the finish and then cleared the complete assy. with Eastwood Diamond Clear Satin. All assy. line markings were documented as the axle was de-rusted and then replicated in the correct colors with the correct Markal paint markers as are used on the Ford assy. line. It took a few different sprays of clear to get the right look, I bought multiple cans from Flat Clear to Gloss Clear to see what would look right and provide "the look" that I was looking for. It turned out good IMO, but what a time consuming project!!!

As I was rolling it under my Super Snake......

0019-1.jpg

Before - It wasn't terrible, the car was 5 years old and had 600 original miles on it, but the longer the rust was ignored, the more pitting that would occur......Once the bare metal is pitted, there is no making it look new with clear, the pits will always show.

006-5.jpg

Picture1943-2.jpg

The finished differential housing.......

0012-2.jpg

..........and as it looks today.........

023-1-zpsd0dea3de.jpg

I did have decals and labels replicated, unlike the GT500KR, where you have an axle reservoir to keep axle fluid (and vapors) from coming out of the axle tube mounted vent next to the all important VIN seq. number label wrapped around the right axle tube, mine had started to deteriorate because of exposure to the gear lube vapors, it actually was "sticky" to the touch. <<<That axle wrap label is the only "numbers matching" identifier for the axle assy., so if it gets ruined (or sprayed over with paint), before the correct information (and text font) can be documented for replication, that "numbers matching" info. is gone. Unlike the old days when the VIN seq. number was stamped into the axle tube for a matching number axle assy., that axle wrap barcode decal/label is the axle specific information on these newer cars.

R

Edited by Robert M