TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Alternative fog lights for bezel

The PIAA 520’s are still available. That’s what they were.  You will need to make brackets.  (I just used “l brackets” and drilled holes into them). I also spliced in a set of plug ends so they fit right into the stock.  Use red loctite on everything as the adjustment on the lights themselves don’t stay put so well. 

Mfield2a,

Which 520 series PIAA are we needing to look at?

There are several different models. 5213, 5296, 5294 just to name a few.

Also where did you get the wiring harness plug ends to use our existing connections?

Clarence

Correction on the lights. The correct ones that were sold through Shelby are:  510 Series SMR Xtreme White Plus Driving Lamp Kit:  

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/78-510-SMR-Driving-XTreme-White-Plus-Halogen-Lamp-Kit.aspx

(You can find them for a lot less $$ on other sites).

The wire harness is HB4 male connectors.  I soldered and shrink wrapped these into the PIAA’s:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F191270555559

As I was “mocking up my own” light kit, but wanted then to look correct, I did quite a bit of research before I did the install.  All the parts listed above will give you that result.  The bracket may take a bit of time because it’s DIY a custom make.  I looked at the bracket from the original install instructions (link below) and I decided to go with a heavier “L” bracket.  First drilled a hole, mounted the light to the bracket and put them where I wanted them to sit in the bezel.  Then I marked on the car where to attach them.

http://info.shelbyamerican.com/Instructions/bezel_lowershelbygt.pdf

Edited by mfield2a

I never turned mine on other than to check them out. The color and intensity didn’t match the headlights and looked all wrong.  I kept them installed for looks but as lights, especially with their habit of slightly tilting up or down over time made for a less than ideal situation. 

I still have to take and posted pics...But the bulbs that come in them are a good match to the HID lights.  Case  - The new XTREME bulbs (replaced mine last year) are much improved.  

Switching  to a standard halogen bulb would do the trick for color.  

Changing the bulbs - the trick is to just put a dab of red lock-tight on the backers - I can’t stress enough red lock tight everything on the PIAA’s! 

On 7/14/2019 at 12:13 PM, JeffIsHereToo said:

I never turned mine on other than to check them out. The color and intensity didn’t match the headlights and looked all wrong.  I kept them installed for looks but as lights, especially with their habit of slightly tilting up or down over time made for a less than ideal situation. 

Agree with Jeff, more for looks than functionality. I still have my originals that are now 12 years old. Turned them on the other day and they both still worked :) 

2 hours ago, ChicagoChris said:

Appreciate all the feedback on the driving lights. 

My next question:  Do the brake coolers have any noticeable effect on increasing the factory rotors/pads stopping power? 

Have you ever experienced brake fade except maybe at the track?  (Note, I've never, in 50+ years of driving all kinds of vehicles, experienced it.  Even in the old days of mountain driving with people burning their brakes out, it never happened to me.) If not then they are essentially eye candy. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

The one time I tracked my SGT was at the Indianapolis Speedway during the MCA open track event, I babied the brakes so I didn't experience brake fade. 

I find the stock brakes to be average or below.  Thought the coolers may increase braking during spirited street driving?

On 7/22/2019 at 4:08 PM, ChicagoChris said:

Appreciate all the feedback on the driving lights. 

My next question:  Do the brake coolers have any noticeable effect on increasing the factory rotors/pads stopping power? 

Unless you track your car this again is for looks. Nothing wrong with that! But the old brake duct install wasn’t a walk in the park by any means so unless you’re hitting the track I just don’t see it being worth the effort. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I spoke to a rep at PIAA I was told the direct replacement for the 510 SMR extremes were the PIAA LP530 white driving light (LED).  He told me they are discontinuing all halogen lights as they run out of stock and all will be LED going forward.  He said these should be the same size and should bolt up and fit like the 510's.  Not sure about wiring harness.  The 520's are a lot bigger than the 510's in size.  You can go the PIAA site and still look at both the 510 and 520.  One of the pics is the dimensions of the lights, big difference.

I Do remember when I installed mine I used the stock pigtails that came on the car and spliced them in so that when I turn on my parking lights and pull the switch out they come on just as the OEM fogs would have.  If I remember correctly Shelby just ziptied the original fog light pig tails under the car after they removed the grill and original fog's (08's not sure about 07's).

I haven't ordered them yet, but I do need to cause I have a chip in one of my lenses and they no longer make replacement parts as well.  When I get them I'll post up info about them.

Jeff

Edited by MyBlueHeaven