TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAI should know this

David Hawkins

I sure hope to get an answer to this question...……………….

In 2020, we will see a Ford Shelby GT 350 and a Ford Shelby GT 500.  Will that be a one time thing?

Will we continue to see a Ford Shelby GT 350 and a Ford Shelby GT 500 in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025?

How many Years will the Ford Shelby GT 500 be built? 

4 hours ago, tesgt350 said:

I sure hope to get an answer to this question...……………….

In 2020, we will see a Ford Shelby GT 350 and a Ford Shelby GT 500.  Will that be a one time thing?

Will we continue to see a Ford Shelby GT 350 and a Ford Shelby GT 500 in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025?

How many Years will the Ford Shelby GT 500 be built? 

Why do you say “SAI should know this”?. ….Just because SAI (CSBI or Carroll Shelby Licensing, Foundation , etc) may have some kind of licensing agreement with Ford does not mean they know all of Ford’s future plans in detail for using the Shelby Moniker….and even if they did,  they probably are not interested in telegraphing it to competitors or obligated to broadcasting it to the public.

Additionally, it is not 1967 or 1968,  a modern Shelby GT350 and a Shelby GT500 can co-exist in the market today in dealer showrooms because they are designed and developed for two different market segments and wont cannibalize the sales of each product.

I'm sure they do know since the use of the "Shelby" name implies some kind of royalty/license payments for which there is certainly a contract.  However, it is Ford's business and SAI would be under a rock solid non-disclosure agreement to not discuss those plans.  Ask Ford.  I'm sure they will tell you nothing.

Note the presence of both is a strategy change since when the GT350 was announced by Ford, Ford said there would only be one Shelby branded product at a time in showrooms.  The reason (from a usually reliable source) was exactly my Total Available Market logic.  Obviously Ford believes there is enough market for EACH product so as to not cut too much into the TAM for either product.  (The discussion of TAM and market bifurcation says that if a similar product is announced then to a large degree both will end up with half of the market.  Like I said, Ford must believe they are now distinct products and I agree.)

Edited by twobjshelbys

I think Ford will continue the GT350, beside the GT500, indefinitely.  If they remove the GT350, that would leave quite a gap between the Mustang GT/Bullitt and the GT500.  They need a model priced to fill that gap.  Further, I suspect Ford wants to further amortize the cost of the Voodoo engine, that's specific to the GT350.  I hope they offer the new DCT from the GT500, in the GT350, as an option to the manual.  That would make a great track even better.

It will all depend on demand and if there is enough to keep production going.  Keep in mind that Ford is investing heavily into electric and autonomous cars and truck research and development, so there wil be a consolidation of the the performance models eventually.