TEAM SHELBY FORUM

what should i do

Guys i have been on here a while. You all seem like great guys .

I have a problem. I have a 2008 gt500 on order with no build date as of yet. It is for $5000.00 over sticker which i am ok with.

I got a call from a dealer that i called before looking for an 07 at the time.

He called and said that he has a 07 new 3 miles for sale. He told me he would sell it for 52000.00 .

I told him no because i can get a 08 for less then that and he asked how much would i pay . I tried to get it for Sticker but said no. So then i said 48000.00 and he said let me bring that info to his guy and call be back tonight.

Should i wait for the 08 at 5 over which i have i writing or if he calls and tells me they will take 480000. should i get the 07.

P.S. are they really anything diff about the 08 except the headlights .

Thanks guys

I have a problem. I have a 2008 gt500 on order with no build date as of yet. It is for $5000.00 over sticker which i am ok with.

He called and said that he has a 07 new 3 miles for sale. He told me he would sell it for 52000.00 .

I told him no because i can get a 08 for less then that and he asked how much would i pay . I tried to get it for Sticker but said no. So then i said 48000.00 and he said let me bring that info to his guy and call be back tonight.

Should i wait for the 08 at 5 over which i have i writing or if he calls and tells me they will take 480000. should i get the 07.

Thanks guys

Since the new 2007 Shelby GT500 is the first time in fourty years that Ford and Carol Shelby have gotten back together to build cars. It is felt that the 07 are the year to have for collectability. The Rob report says this car will be of value in the furture. Rember you can always modify a car to your likings. If you can get what you want in an 07 with colors and options and a low ADM, you'll be able to enjoy the car much sooner.

Personally I prefer the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 over the 2008 model.

For one thing it looks much nicer, a more conservative look.

The 2008 may have a little more HP but what the 2007 offers is more than enough for me, that is why I decided to buy mine this year.

I think the question goes back to you and what you are looking for in a Shelby GT500, to include the price.

What you are being quoted sounds REALLY good! Is there a catch?

I paid $55,000 for my car and most are selling between $55,000 and $65,000.

$10,000 to $20,000 over the listed MSRP!

You can do a “Google” search on both models and learn more about the details.

Personally I prefer the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 over the 2008 model.

For one thing it looks much nicer, a more conservative look.

The 2008 may have a little more HP but what the 2007 offers is more than enough for me, that is why I decided to buy mine this year.

I think the question goes back to you and what you are looking for in a Shelby GT500, to include the price.

What you are being quoted sounds REALLY good! Is there a catch?

I paid $55,000 for my car and most are selling between $55,000 and $65,000.

$10,000 to $20,000 over the listed MSRP!

You can do a “Google” search on both models and learn more about the details.

A little more HP on thje 08???? Where did that come from?

Looks much nicer??? They look identical! There was no change in looks. Only a new color added which was vapor that replaced tungsten. Some new stripe colors. A couple more options added like HID Headlamps and ambeit lighting.

Other than that everthing else remains the same. Same look, same HP.

:banghead: i say take the 2007 model.heck i waited over 2 years to get mine and life is to short.the faster you have one the faster you can enjoy a great car like most of us are doing right now. why drive a gt500 next year if you can drive one right now? if the dealer calls you back and says done deal at a matching price or lower go for it!!

It is felt that the 07 are the year to have for collectability. The Rob report says this car will be of value in the furture.

Not this again... :banghead:

Can I borrow that crystal ball you have, I'd like to see what the future looks like. :headscratch:

:hysterical2:

If you can get what you want in an 07 with colors and options and a low ADM, you'll be able to enjoy the car much sooner.

I agree. The 2008 could be built next month, or June 2008. You don't know.

How much is that worth?

Bird in the hand you know...

If the 07 is in the color and options you want and is still in good condition (u never know with a car sitting in a show room for a long time with kids touching it and people brushing up against it) the go for the 07! The wait for me would be too much cause u never know how long it could take to get ure car built. Make sure u see the 07 before u commit tho!

Looks much nicer??? They look identical! There was no change in looks. Only a new color added which was vapor that replaced tungsten. Some new stripe colors. A couple more options added like HID Headlamps and ambeit lighting.

"ambient" lighting. (-5 spelling)

Thanks guys

Get the 07

Guys,

Thanks for the input. You are all great!

Dealer called back and the price will be a little cheaper for the 07 but have to have it shiped so the price will be the same really. only diff is the the 08 will have hid lights.

They are closed now so he said to call him tomorrow with a answer. Guess i will sleep on this till tomorrow morning.

Thanks again for the input its been a long wait.

I would also go for the '07. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about being able to enjoy the car instead of waiting a few months more, maybe longer. The '07 is available NOW; there is no way to know for sure when the '08 you ordered will arrive.

Thanks guys

You have not provided enough info to help. You must give a complete breakdown of each car with all the options so that the exact price difference can be easily seen.

The '08s are the same except for different options and a new color choice (Vapor). The HIDs are one option, but the ambient mood lighting and Nav system are others. Do you highly value any of these options?

Dave

My mistake, yes, I was refering to the 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR:

"The 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR is scheduled for release in the spring of 2008, is powered by a (estimated) 540 horsepower 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 variation with a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack. Production will be limited to 1,000 units. The GT500KR will be the fastest production Mustang ever. However, Shelby released that there will be a Super Snake option in 2008."

"Starting in 2008, previous 2007 Shelby GT500 Mustangs could be sent to Carroll Shelby's Special Performance Plant in Las Vegas to be rebuilt into a Super Snake, which resembles the 2008 GT500KR, for an additional cost of $27,995. The Super Snake will offer a 600 hp version with warranty or a 725 hp version without warranty and a 0-60 time of under 4 seconds, faster than the Dodge Viper."

If you are talking about a regular 2008 Shelby GT500 than go with the 2007.....

Cheers!

If you really want the other options the 08 has, wait. If the 07 is the same color combination and you don't mind it not having the options get that one. Thats the bottom line. I spent probably $25,000.00 more than I should have for a car so when I found mine less the shaker 1000, navigation the sticker price was also less, so that was good for me. I was happy at 5 over but felt guilty on the drive home. Think about it thats a lot of money for a mustang.

There have been others who have even had a contract for a car and still got duked by there dealer. This is not a easy car to get and especially a new one the color you want. My advice is to get the 07 now, while you can.

My mistake, yes, I was refering to the 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR:

"The 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR is scheduled for release in the spring of 2008, is powered by a (estimated) 540 horsepower 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 variation with a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack. Production will be limited to 1,000 units. The GT500KR will be the fastest production Mustang ever. However, Shelby released that there will be a Super Snake option in 2008."

"Starting in 2008, previous 2007 Shelby GT500 Mustangs could be sent to Carroll Shelby's Special Performance Plant in Las Vegas to be rebuilt into a Super Snake, which resembles the 2008 GT500KR, for an additional cost of $27,995. The Super Snake will offer a 600 hp version with warranty or a 725 hp version without warranty and a 0-60 time of under 4 seconds, faster than the Dodge Viper."

If you are talking about a regular 2008 Shelby GT500 than go with the 2007.....

Cheers!

You can get another 40 hp at the crank simply by using Zaino on your car. Buy the '07.

bj

I did not know about the Super Snake option for 2008! Also, I read that the 2006 Viper had 510HP, why would a Shelby need 725HP to beat it?

I also read that the regular 2008 Ford Shelby GT500s were going to be an even smaller production than the 2007. Anyone know anything about that? What will the MSRP be for the 08s?

And don't forget you can do the 40th package to the 07 only. The whole SS package is for both 07 and 08. You could also do as I'm doing. The 40th with SS power upgrades. That package will cost less than the full SS and will be unique, but - you can only do that with 07.

Thanks guys

I would go for the 07. Recall how desirable the 1964 Mustang is today. Well.....I believe the 07 GT500

will one day attain the status the 1964 Mustang does today....first year production run !!!

The 1965 Mustang didn't gather the attention that the 1964 did.

Go for the 07. Its here, no waiting, enjoy now !!

On 7/13/07 I took home my Black 07 GT500 with Red Stripe Appearance Package. I too thought of going for the 08 but the Red Stripe edition got my attention as well as the "first production run" fact.

Let me know what you decide. Aren't these tough decisions fun !!

ItalianStallion

I did not know about the Super Snake option for 2008! Also, I read that the 2006 Viper had 510HP, why would a Shelby need 725HP to beat it?

I also read that the regular 2008 Ford Shelby GT500s were going to be an even smaller production than the 2007. Anyone know anything about that? What will the MSRP be for the 08s?

Yes, Ford announced they are only building 8,000 for 08 plus the 1,000 KR's.

Base MSRP will be a $1,000 more plus the cost of the new options available if you go with any of those.

Dealer called back and the price will be a little cheaper for the 07 but have to have it shiped so the price will be the same really. only diff is the the 08 will have hid lights.

Who are you using for shipment?

I went with DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) and they did a great job in transporting my vehicle from Illinois to Oklahoma.

You can check their web page for shipping estimates. They are also recommended by eBay Motors.

Phone: 1-866-327-8060

Page: http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

I would go for the 07. Recall how desirable the 1964 Mustang is today. Well.....I believe the 07 GT500

will one day attain the status the 1964 Mustang does today....first year production run !!!

The 1965 Mustang didn't gather the attention that the 1964 did.

There was no 1964 Mustang.

They called the first few months of production "1964.5", which had generators instead of alternators and some other small differences vs. the "1965", but all are actually 1965 models. 1965 Model year for both. 1965 on the title for both.

"1964.5's", unless totally original, don't garner more than a similar "1965" with the same options (GT, 2+2 etc).

Now be honest, tiger, did you really sleep last night? :shades:

The 2007, assuming it's the color (or a color) you like. The GG Tax is lower on the 2007 as is the MSRP. As someone else said, go over it with a fine tooth comb (look for any evidence of repainting or repairs) despite the low mileage. It is a good deal if everything is OK. And you can have it now as others have also said.

How much is that combo package???

It will be less than $28k. It depends on what options you'd get. I'll get the blower, CAI and 3.73 rear for sure. Still thinking about the 6 piston brakes. The car would say 40th in every other aspect. JW wouldn't quote for me since they hadn't finalized the labor and pricing for the brakes, but I said I figured in the $20k range and he concurred.

This is s crap shoot. If the 07 and 08 are exactly what you want, then it does not matter. However, the GG tax was the same, the MSRP is 1K more for an 08, and other than the lighting, HID, and a few color combo's, they are the same. I would just make sure to get the EXACT car I wanted! I could have had dozens of 07's but not one matched exactly what I wanted. I liked the fact that 'I' ordered my 08, to my spec, and it will be built for me, my way. I loaded it up with ONLY what I wanted. So for me, the 08 was the way to go. As for a first year or second year run, I do not see a difference... some will say the first year will fetch more as a collectible, you can say the same thing for the limited number for the 08 (if Ford keeps their word). A collectible is what a market will bear... just like paying ADM's here, some will, some will not... well in 30 years, some will want an 07, others an 08... but if you are buying this for a collectible, wrong investment. Take the 50K and invest in the market for a better return. Ok, so there you have, no real answer to your issue, just another opinion! :finger:

I was faced with this very same dilema this past week. I had an 08 on order for $5K over, but had a dealer call me and offer an 07 for $5K over, plus 0% financing. The 07 was the exact color I was looking for and had the options I wanted. Easy decision, I am now driving, and enjoying, the 07 while I would have no idea when the 08 would be built. The issue of collectiblity never came up for me, it was about getting and enjoying the car now. When I'm driving the car, any afterthought on the 08 is loooooong gone!!!!

Archived