TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Headers and exhaust help to comply with California

Denstang65

I am acquiring an 08 SGT from Tennessee and found out it has long tube headers and no cats. Anyone know where I can acquire CA legal exhaust and how much it will run? 

I'm assuming you bought it from a dealer.  Check with him to see if the original owner might have the original exhaust components.  If you bought it private check with them directly.

I recall the exhaust was an H-pipe configuration that was a Ford Racing component.  I'm pretty sure it is not available any more.  Your choice would be to go back to a standard Ford configuration through your local dealer's parts department.

Sorry you got caught in the CA mess...

Edited by twobjshelbys

Used car dealer, so no original components. 4 previous owners, only 2 of the registered the car through Shelby’s registry. I am just going to have to drive it home and get the exhaust taken cared of out here when it’s home. 

On 6/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, Denstang65 said:

I am acquiring an 08 SGT from Tennessee and found out it has long tube headers and no cats. Anyone know where I can acquire CA legal exhaust and how much it will run? 

Denstang, glad the purchase worked out and if you recall my gut feeling about the long tube headers was correct ;)

Being in California you have several problems. First problem is that you can not just go to a junkyard and purchase what you need from a wrecked Mustang GT. While you can purchase the exhaust manifolds CA law prohibits the sale of the cats & the 02 sensors.

Second problem is that if you try and go with an aftermarket replacement cats, CA once again is not your friend. Replacement cats must be certified as CARB complaint along with needing to have a CARB compliant SERIAL NUMBER that will be cross-checked. Thats not part number but an actual unique serial number on the cats.

Best suggestion is to find a low mile wrecked Mustang GT out of State and have the parts shipped to you. To save on shipping you could always purchase the exhaust manifolds locally.

Also keep in mind that the computer tune most likely has the 02 sensors turned off because of the long tube headers so be prepared to purchase a new tune.

Best of luck sorting it out but it will be worth it once its done.

Steven

1 hour ago, Denstang65 said:

How can I purchase the exhaust manifolds locally? Do you know of a place? Can I buy new cats and manifolds to replace them? 

Try contacting your local Ford dealer.  Or, go online to the various parts places, Tasca Ford has the best online prices I've found. For something like headers shipping might be your enemy.  They may be able to arrange drop ship to your local dealer.

54 minutes ago, Denstang65 said:

Is there any way to contact the owner who had the exhaust modded and might have the old exhaust? 

You can try contacting the dealer that sold you the car.  If he bought it at an auction the chances of you ever chasing down the original owner are practically nil.   They improve if the dealer took the car in trade - but the dealer would have to make the contact to the owner who would either contact you or give permission for the contact.  Those nasty privacy laws you know.

19 hours ago, Denstang65 said:

How can I purchase the exhaust manifolds locally? Do you know of a place? Can I buy new cats and manifolds to replace them? 

You can purchase new cats & manifolds at your local Ford dealership but in my opinion that is not a realistic solution considering dealership prices.

Used manifolds can be purchase locally or online from car dismantlers.

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

Depending on the tune, it could run you several hundred to over a grand.

Just depends on the tune, who installs the tune and if you need a tuner tool or not.

Would a Ford dealer restore the original Shelby GT tune?  Especially if you sourced the parts from them (think of total cost).

Edited by twobjshelbys

• 2 weeks later...

Go with a Carb compliant set of shorty headers JBA Headers.  These headers are legal in Calif and bad ass compared the stock headers.  Pertronix Performance Products. Executive Order D-57-33.  I do have a set of factory exhaust headers if you want to go in that direction.  They will bolt up to factory exhaust.

Edited by Lynno