TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil consumption

19Keith78

I have a 2009 Shelby with 32,000 Miles on it. I bought it last year so do not have a lot of time with her. What I do know is that it has had the 5.8 L super charger put on it, as well as 127 MM air intake. I am not the most knowledgeable guy out there with cars, and can not seem to find any good answers.

Is oil consumption "normal" with those upgrades? I am using about 1 Qt every 1k miles. Seems excessive to me. I can say that it does not blow smoke out the back, and certainly not leaking it. I do catch a whiff of smoke some times. I don't beat her up, but I do have fun with her. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:38 PM, 19Keith78 said:

I have a 2009 Shelby with 32,000 Miles on it. I bought it last year so do not have a lot of time with her. What I do know is that it has had the 5.8 L super charger put on it, as well as 127 MM air intake. I am not the most knowledgeable guy out there with cars, and can not seem to find any good answers.

Is oil consumption "normal" with those upgrades? I am using about 1 Qt every 1k miles. Seems excessive to me. I can say that it does not blow smoke out the back, and certainly not leaking it. I do catch a whiff of smoke some times. I don't beat her up, but I do have fun with her. Any ideas?

It depends upon what you consider "oil consumption"? If you consider oil leaving the crank case as oil consumption, then yes, that is why there are oil separators offered for these S/C'ed cars. The oil gets sucked into the intake system (and burned through the engine), especially on the passenger side of the PCV system, the separator collects the oil that is sucked out of the engine, 1 quart per 1000 miles seems a little bit excessive for what is considered "normal".

If the engine in your 2009 has not replaced with a 2013/14 engine, it is a 5.4 DOHC, not 5.8.

R

Edited by Robert M

Robert thank you so much for responding!

Sorry let me clarify. The 5.8 L trinity super charger from the 2013 models. 

Also, to my understanding, is the oil separator does not stop the oil from being consumed... it just catches it. Still would be an "oil consumption" issue... Right?

4 hours ago, 19Keith78 said:

Robert thank you so much for responding!

Sorry let me clarify. The 5.8 L trinity super charger from the 2013 models. 

Also, to my understanding, is the oil separator does not stop the oil from being consumed... it just catches it. Still would be an "oil consumption" issue... Right?

Yes, the separator catches the oil and minimizes oil being sucked into the intake system.

It is my opinion that "if" a vehicle looses oil from the crank case between oil changes, it is considered to be "using oil", it is as simple as that. There would be some who would argue this point, but the bottom line is...........the oil level in the crank case goes down (a little or a lot) between oil changes during use of the vehicle, that is "using oil". <<<This seems to be normal for the S/C'ed engines, I see oil separators offered for many different S/C applications.

Usually the harder the car is driven, the greater the crankcase pressure, the more oil gets into the PCV system, the more ends up on and through the intercooler in the intake system.

R