TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2020 GT500 HP and Torque Released

This might have me finally moving on from my Shelby GT/SC, but I’ll wait out the ADM’s.  I thought about the GT350, but the Oil Issues aren’t something I want to deal with.  I’m guessing $75K will get you a decent GT500, time will tell.  Hopefully pricing comes soon.

I’m loving this Car!!!!

Edited by carnut12

6 hours ago, Secondo said:

Thanks for posting. Ford has done a heck of a job on yet another Mustang. They were smart to be a bit conservative on the hp number initial release. Coming out at 760 hp will leave plenty of room for higher hp in a  possible future KR model and leave plenty of room for upgrades and power adders while still providing a factory warranty.

6 hours ago, carnut12 said:

This might have me finally moving on from my Shelby GT/SC, but I’ll wait out the ADM’s.  I thought about the GT350, but the Oil Issues aren’t something I want to deal with.  I’m guessing $75K will get you a decent GT500, time will tell.  Hopefully pricing comes soon.

I’m loving this Car!!!!

I would agree the base version Target is probably being set just around $75k...and like the 350, the “track” version could push 25% increase over the base and put it past the $100k mark.  As you said, only a matter of time.

The 2019 GT350 has a base MSRP of 59,140

The 2019 GT350R has a base MSRP of 67,135…..that works out to about a 13.5% premium for an R “Track ” version.

I think the 2019 GT500 base MSRP will come in around $77,000 with a similar percentage premium for a “Track” version making it come in at about $87,500 base MSRP for the "Track" version.

I believe they are leaving room for a 800++ hp KR vehicle that will be in the $93 to $98k range.

Then of course it remains to be seen if SAI does something "Super Snakey" with it...which will probably be 900'ish hp and in the 100k+ range.

The new 2020 GT500 is a beast no doubt about it.

Good to see some people making some discussion about the new 2020 GT 500 in the 2020 GT500 topic area.

Edited by mhr1961

+1 MHR, this car is going to be a beast, no matter the price. People are paying $120K for a Demon that can't turn and is the slowest 800+HP car on the planet. I can see the Mopar heads laughing at the shortfall in HP compared to their top-dawg sleds but they are forgetting that the GT500 is about 400lbs lighter and can compete with the best on the Nurburgring. 

7 hours ago, 66GT350PS said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28098897/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-horsepower/

Same car formula:  higher horsepower equals higher market value.  Real pricing will be based on market value, if you are patient to wait for the prices to come down as the market is filled.

Fixed it for you.

Thanks.

So what will the projected dealer markups be?  Based on the first 2007 GT500 prices and then the 2016-17 GT350/350R, I would project the first editions at the dealerships to have a $35K to $50K added bite.  And they will still sell out quickly.

Edited by 66GT350PS

23 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

The 2019 GT350 has a base MSRP of 59,140

The 2019 GT350R has a base MSRP of 67,135…..that works out to about a 13.5% premium for an R “Track ” version.

I think the 2019 GT500 base MSRP will come in around $77,000 with a similar percentage premium for a “Track” version making it come in at about $87,500 base MSRP for the "Track" version.

I believe they are leaving room for a 800++ hp KR vehicle that will be in the $93 to $98k range.

Then of course it remains to be seen if SAI does something "Super Snakey" with it...which will probably be 900'ish hp and in the 100k+ range.

The new 2020 GT500 is a beast no doubt about it.

Good to see some people making some discussion about the new 2020 GT 500 in the 2020 GT500 topic area.

I had no idea the base GT350 price has crept up that far from the base starting at just under $48k when release just 3 years ago, but I see it has.  That is a 20% increase just to get into one.  When you think about it that's pretty incredible.  (Yes, STV dropped some base options and did some updates over the years and ADM is long gone).  I guess the numbers made sense. 

It it will be interesting to see what SA does with the Super Snake. The current 2019 already “starts” north of $113k.

2 hours ago, mfield2a said:

I had no idea the base GT350 price has crept up that far from the base starting at just under $48k when release just 3 years ago, but I see it has.  That is a 20% increase just to get into one.  When you think about it that's pretty incredible.  (Yes, STV dropped some base options and did some updates over the years and ADM is long gone).  I guess the numbers made sense. 

It it will be interesting to see what SA does with the Super Snake. The current 2019 already “starts” north of $113k.

Yeah, when I started looking at the numbers I was a bit shocked that the gt350 price had crept up so much in only 3 years. …..but I guess that is a testament to just how good the GT350 really is. Ford certainly has their finger on the market pulse in regard to the Mustang and are extracting good dollars from the consumer with the Mustang. Now if they could just do that with the rest of their product line their stock would go through the roof!

16 hours ago, mfield2a said:

14 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Yeah, when I started looking at the numbers I was a bit shocked that the gt350 price had crept up so much in only 3 years. …..but I guess that is a testament to just how good the GT350 really is. Ford certainly has their finger on the market pulse in regard to the Mustang and are extracting good dollars from the consumer with the Mustang. Now if they could just do that with the rest of their product line their stock would go through the roof!

Comparing the base 2015 GT350 without adding in the $7,500 tech or $6,500 track packages to the 2019 GT350 is not a fair comparison in my opinion.

That would be like comparing a '08 GT500 Super Snake MSRP of $27,995 in 2009 to a '08 GT500 Super Snake MSRP of $46,995 in 2019 and claiming that its just a price increase without acknowledging all the additional content in 2019.

Steven

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

Comparing the base 2015 GT350 without adding in the $7,500 tech or $6,500 track packages to the 2019 GT350 is not a fair comparison in my opinion.

That would be like comparing a '08 GT500 Super Snake MSRP of $27,995 in 2009 to a '08 GT500 Super Snake MSRP of $46,995 in 2019 and claiming that its just a price increase without acknowledging all the additional content in 2019.

Steven

I completely agree with what you are saying.  I was trying to convey how much the cost to get into one in just 3 years has changed.  Certainly there is a reason Ford optioned the car to be under $50k when it came out and why now they have removed that from the program.  Heck, it could even have something to do with the release of the GT500.  Increase your base GT350 and it’s a smaller gap to whatever the GT500 base will be. 

Edited by mfield2a

On 6/21/2019 at 11:05 AM, mfield2a said:

Heck, it could even have something to do with the release of the GT500.  Increase your base GT350 and it’s a smaller gap to whatever the GT500 base will be. 

While I'm not speaking for Ford but in my opinion it would be a mistake to price the GT350 close to the GT500. What buyer would choose a 5 year old, less performing GT350 if for just a little more they could purchase a brand new, higher performance GT500? And no I'm not believing that hoards of buyers will choose the GT350 because of a m/trans.

The GT350 is sticking around for the enthusiasts who are not able to swing a GT500 purchase, especially a GT500 with ADM's. Instead of Ford losing that customer the dealership can steer them towards the GT350. Kind of a win-win situation and posibly a win-win-win if the GT350 buyer trade in the GT350 for a GT500 in a year or two.

Steven

• 1 month later...

With the extra weight, although I know it has the fast shifting DTC, I’m not sure this is going to be much faster than the 13-14 GT500 And we already know it’s top speed is 180 versus 202mph on the 13-14. If what I’m saying is correct the 0 to 60 is also about the same. Is anyone else disappointed about paying almost 100 K for similar performance of the previous generation? 

Edited by Gabed1972

25 minutes ago, Gabed1972 said:

With the extra weight, although I know it has the fast shifting DTC, I’m not sure this is going to be much faster than the 13-14 GT500 And we already know it’s top speed is 180 versus 202mph on the 13-14. If what I’m saying is correct the 0 to 60 is also about the same. Is anyone else disappointed about paying almost 100 K for similar performance of the previous generation? 

Top speed does not mean that much to me unless doing a mile run on a air strip none of us needs to get above 180. I like the look and stance I also think the motor and supercharger will be way more efficient at making the HP a lot has changed in 5 years. The DCT is a game changer for speed especially on track. I know we have no numbers yet but my 2013 with an I1 pro charger easily eats the 2013 GT500 not because it’s got a whole bunch more HP but just better at producing it through the RPM bands. I’m getting the new GT500 because I like it, not to be the fastest there will always be someone faster. 

Straight line performance may be similar to 60 but with an extra 98HP it will be quicker to 180. It is designed to be a track beast and will handle much better and quicker around a track. That's what is included in the price. 

Agreed but for the difference in price, you could get a used 13 and with 50 grand make it a much more track capable and faster vehicle. Just my two cents. It’s all preference. I like the new car as well I just think it’s way overpriced.

The base 2020 GT500 was designed for the Muscle/Buoulevard Cruiser Crowd and for the Drag Strip crowd. The track package option available for it is more oriented towards people who want to use it as a track beast. The beauty of the Mustang/Shelby platform is that it can fill the “steed for every need” mantra very well…it has a wide range to offer….every thing to get the young or entry level buyer on board with an entry level 4cylinder Ecoboost,  all the way to the GT500. Then of course you have SAI to add to all that  with their offerings, as well as tons of aftermarket parts if you just want to take a  Mustang and “build your own” to suit your vision of what you want.

The money spent on a properly engineered "upgrade" S197 with the special brakes, transmission, engine, suspension and proper body and engine tune to match the 2020 GT500 would probably not be that much cheaper.  You can get as much power, but the handling and braking characteristics might not be as good.  I have not seen the prices for the Ford Performance  catalog parts needed to do this kind of build but suspect it is quite pricey.  Then add in all the special exterior and interior Shelby model upgrades plus labor and price of the S197 Mustsng and would it really be cheaper?  Just wondering.

1 hour ago, 66GT350PS said:

The money spent on a properly engineered "upgrade" S197 with the special brakes, transmission, engine, suspension and proper body and engine tune to match the 2020 GT500 would probably not be that much cheaper.  You can get as much power, but the handling and braking characteristics might not be as good.  I have not seen the prices for the Ford Performance  catalog parts needed to do this kind of build but suspect it is quite pricey.  Then add in all the special exterior and interior Shelby model upgrades plus labor and price of the S197 Mustsng and would it really be cheaper?  Just wondering.

It will most likely be a little cheaper but one thing for as I have done both your modified Mustang will be a beast but you get zero dollars back for any mod you do it’s a sunk cost, have fun with her show her off but don’t expect a dime back for anything you do to her. 

11 hours ago, Jeffrey Duncan said:

It will most likely be a little cheaper but one thing for as I have done both your modified Mustang will be a beast but you get zero dollars back for any mod you do it’s a sunk cost, have fun with her show her off but don’t expect a dime back for anything you do to her. 

Good point.