TEAM SHELBY FORUM

07 Black SGT built with polished wheels

noac

I bought a 400 mile 2007 Shelby GT last summer.  It was special ordered and sold new at Jacky Jones Ford in Georgia.  I have lots of paperwork with the car, one being a Target Product Offering Vehicle Order sheet indicating my car left Shelby in Vegas with the Polished 18" SGT wheels.  Has anyone else ever seen a 2007 Black SGT leave Shelby back in the day with those wheels?  The printout I believe is an internal document at Shelby and it says in bold letters INFO: 64W SHELBY GT POLISHED ALUM WHL ADDED.  The polished wheels are still on the car and the date coded tires were removed last summer so I could safely drive the Shelby.  The original tires are still with the car and in storage.  Just trying to see if another car like mine was built with the polished wheels or if anyone at Shelby remembers the car.....Thanks Tom

• 1 month later...

That is interesting.  I remember when they first announced the 2007 Shelby GT, they showed the white and black cars both with polished wheels. Then when the black SGT actually came out it had black wheels. Surpise. The black wheel craze had just started and I did not like the look then. I always wondered if you could order the polished rims on a black car or if some customers did not know their new SGT's were coming with black rims. I would say your paperwork proves that you could order (keep) the polished rims.

Hopefully someone can still answer your original question about actually seeing one leave the Shelby plant.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:22 PM, noac said:

I bought a 400 mile 2007 Shelby GT last summer.  It was special ordered and sold new at Jacky Jones Ford in Georgia.  I have lots of paperwork with the car, one being a Target Product Offering Vehicle Order sheet indicating my car left Shelby in Vegas with the Polished 18" SGT wheels.  Has anyone else ever seen a 2007 Black SGT leave Shelby back in the day with those wheels?  The printout I believe is an internal document at Shelby and it says in bold letters INFO: 64W SHELBY GT POLISHED ALUM WHL ADDED.  The polished wheels are still on the car and the date coded tires were removed last summer so I could safely drive the Shelby.  The original tires are still with the car and in storage.  Just trying to see if another car like mine was built with the polished wheels or if anyone at Shelby remembers the car.....Thanks Tom

Ok here's what we know. Your SGT left Ford's Flat Rock Michigan plant with black wheels. Shelby American's internal production build log contains no comments about a wheel change and shows the original black wheels being reinstalled and torqued to spec. The Ford Monroney label lists the black wheels installed at Flat Rock. The Shelby Monroney label for your SGT has no notation nor any additional charge for polished wheels being added which indicates a black car with black wheels.

Now with that said, in the car business one can never say never. You mention that you have a document from Shelby stating that Polished wheels were added to the car. Are you sure that document is from Shelby and not something from the selling dealership?

For the polished wheels to be installed by Shelby means that Shelby purchased a set of polished wheels for $1500 to $2000 and just 'ate' that wheel money as it was not recouped on the Monroney label OR that Shelby took a set of polished wheels off a white car and swapped them with your cars black wheels. A wheel swap sounds easy enough except how could Shelby explain to another dealership why the white car they ordered arrived with black wheels? Shelby could be on the hook if that dealer complained and demanded their white car be sent a replacement set of wheels.

If a car to car wheel swap took place it more likely took place at the dealership.

I'd be glad to take a look at the document you say is from Shelby to see if it contains anything pointing to its origin. My email is: stevent@shelby.com

Steven