TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shifter Bush.

Hi,

Last Friday while driving I noticed my shifter had stopped being so direct, shifting from 1st to 2nd felt allot further and there was allot less resistance then going from 2nd to 3rd it felt very odd getting across the "H" pattern.

A friend who has been heavily into Mustangs for many years said it feels like the bushes as I can shift from 1st to 6th it just feels like a spoon in a pudding.

So my question is do I have to drop the transmission to get to them??

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:09 PM, Alex Ewers said:

Hi,

Last Friday while driving I noticed my shifter had stopped being so direct, shifting from 1st to 2nd felt allot further and there was allot less resistance then going from 2nd to 3rd it felt very odd getting across the "H" pattern.

A friend who has been heavily into Mustangs for many years said it feels like the bushes as I can shift from 1st to 6th it just feels like a spoon in a pudding.

So my question is do I have to drop the transmission to get to them??

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

If you are asking if the transmission needs to be dropped, like the complete assembly removed or lowered, I would say no, there are many owners who have changed their shifters in the 2007-2014 GT500 and none that I know of require the transmission to be dropped. There may be a case where lowering the rear may help with removal and install, but I don't think it has to be done for all shifter R&R.

The biggest pain in the butt is getting the pins out of the left and right sides where the front of the shifter attaches to the trans., there is very little room to work in this area of the transmission tunnel, but it can be done.

I recently watched a video on the internet of a MGW2 shifter install, it goes through the process and is what you will have to do to get your shifter out for repair......if you choose not to upgrade your shifter while you are there.

If it is the front rubber bushings that are the issue, there are vendors who make alum. replacements for the rubber.

R

Edited by Robert M