TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baer Extreme brake upgrade

Yup I have them all around on my 40th. They clear fine. It’s also helpful to use ring centric hub spacers with the Razors if you don’t have them yet. Helps to center the wheel on the hub.  Should be some old threads on the correct size to use. 

If you are buying a full set (front and rear) new, keep in mind that the front 15" Baer Extreme 6S fronts and 14" rears work well, especially on these heavy nosed GT500's. I upgraded the original 14" front Baer 6S Extremes that Shelby installed on my 2008 Super Snake and the 15" front filled the area behind the Alcoa's better and does not look small like my 14" did. <<<This would be for 20" wheels.

I also know of a 2013 GT500 owner who installed 15" Extreme's on all four corners, but I remember some mention of being "grabby". Since the majority of the braking is done with the fronts, the 15" front - 14" rear works well.

First picture is the original 14" front that Shelby installed in Las Vegas........

Picturedownload5-2-09028-2.jpg

Below is the 15" rotor upgrade.......

004-zps22f0a775.jpg

^^^^It is not a huge difference, but those 14" rotors do look small inside of a 20" wheel. 15" is the largest that Baer offers that will still fit without caliper contact.

******DISCLAIMER***** NOT all 20" wheels will clear Baer Extreme 6 piston calipers. Below is a set of 20" Super Snake wheels that were brought into production after the Alcoa's were discontinued, 2013+ 2007-2014 Super Snake builds. The front wheels fit the Baer 6 piston calipers fine with 14" or 15", but the rears wheels are designed for the smaller Wilwood calipers and the rear wheel spokes hit the larger Baer 6 piston calipers..........Just an FYI.........

0064-zps612f3b9a.jpg

Not sure how much Baer shopping you have done, but at one point, and maybe still today, Baer offered a Nickel plated option for the 6S Extremes, it is a pretty cool look. <<It was an upcharge from the standard PC color calipers.

007-zps857fc971.jpg

ALSO.......I don't know if they are offered both ways, but if they are, you will want the Zinc coated rotors, they stay nice looking and don't rust. <<Like I said, if they are offered Zinc coated or not Zinc coated. It would suck to spend a lot of money, do a rotor or brake upgrade and then the rotors start to rust.......

R

Edited by Robert M

While looking through my brake upgrade pictures, I came across a rear comparison. Shown below is the oem 2008 GT500 (probably the same as Mustang GT?) rotor at the top, then the Baer Eradispeed rear rotor upgrade (lower left) that Shelby installed on my Super Snake when it was upgraded in late 2008 early 2009 (this was before the Shelby/Baer rear brake upgrade was available) and then the Baer Extreme 6S upgrade rotor (lower right).

Notice the difference in pad contact surface on the 6S rear upgrade.........

041.jpg

There are many who questioned the need for 6 piston calipers on the rear when the majority of braking is on the front? Looks is a large factor, and Baer has designed those big/nice looking 6 piston rear calipers to work properly with the fronts. Below is a closer look at the front caliper pistons (lower caliper) and the rear caliper (standing on its side). The pistons are sized accordingly for the braking needs front and rear and it is not just a big piston front caliper adapted for the rear............

008-zps637fe67d.jpg

Once Shelby made available the matching Shelby/Baer 6S rear brake kit, that was my first priority upgrade........

0063-zpsfb08ff58.jpg

..........and then after talking to a rep. at Baer, that 15" front upgrade was a "have to" item and all of it has worked very well together over the last few 6+ years.

R

Edited by Robert M

3 hours ago, Robert M said:

While looking through my brake upgrade pictures, I came across a rear comparison. Shown below is the oem 2008 GT500 (probably the same as Mustang GT?) rotor at the top, then the Baer Eradispeed rear rotor upgrade (lower left) that Shelby installed on my Super Snake when it was upgraded in late 2008 early 2009 (this was before the Shelby/Baer rear brake upgrade was available) and then the Baer Extreme 6S upgrade rotor (lower right).

Notice the difference in pad contact surface on the 6S rear upgrade.........

041.jpg

There are many who questioned the need for 6 piston calipers on the rear when the majority of braking is on the front? Looks is a large factor, and Baer has designed those big/nice looking 6 piston rear calipers to work properly with the fronts. Below is a closer look at the front caliper pistons (lower caliper) and the rear caliper (standing on its side). The pistons are sized accordingly for the braking needs front and rear and it is not just a big piston front caliper adapted for the rear............

008-zps637fe67d.jpg

Once Shelby made available the matching Shelby/Baer 6S rear brake kit, that was my first priority upgrade........

0063-zpsfb08ff58.jpg

..........and then after talking to a rep. at Baer, that 15" front upgrade was a "have to" item and all of it has worked very well together over the last few 6+ years.

R

Thank you very much as this is some great information!  If the 15s fit with the Razors, I am now considering them for the front. 

2 hours ago, SNKBITE said:

Thank you very much as this is some great information!  If the 15s fit with the Razors, I am now considering them for the front. 

If you notice the Razors have spokes that are formed to accommodate the Baer Extremes to start with, the 15" upgrade incudes new/longer studs and spacers to put the caliper out further to accommodate the 1" larger diameter 15" rotor which in reality should only move the caliper out 1/2" closer to the inside of the wheel. If there is enough room outward in the rear of the spokes as there is with the Alcoa's, it will be as easy to install the 15" rotors as would be the 14's. The 15" Extreme rotor upgrade from Baer was $1000 or so all by itself, so if it could be worked in with the original purchase, it "may" save you some original investment dollars.

You will also need to decide Drilled/Slotted? or just Slotted. I recently priced a set of 15" front and 14" rear Slotted replacement rotors for my car, just to have both options, and they were about $1000 for the four rotors Not including the hats, I would change my hats and hardware at my house. For my use, I will never have any issues with the Baer Extreme 6S Drilled/Slotted.

"Back in the day" Shelby only offered Drilled/Slotted on the Super Snake builds, so as I upgraded to the Extreme rears I chose Drilled/Slotted to match what was already on the front............Then when I found out that a 15" Extreme front upgrade was available, I matched what was already on the rear.............

One other nice thing about the big Baer 6 piston calipers front and rear...........the pads interchange front and back........Nice!!

I have Extreme 6S on my car, there is also a 6R, I am not sure what the difference(s) are, the calipers look the same physically, but one has 6S and the other 6R. <<<The rotors also interchange between the 6S and 6R, so that may be something to inquire about.

R

Edited by Robert M

Here is some 6S/6R information from Baer......I will never need the 6R set up for my use, but the "Standard in a Nickel Finish" is interesting and those Nickel calipers that I have "may" have been Shelby specific and were not available in a 6S other than through Shelby, I don't remember, it has been a while since I bought them........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The R-Spec rotor is a proprietary casting done to Baer’s specifications from a foundry in Europe. This project has been in development for almost 2 years, as the goal was to build a purpose built, race rotor that was lighter than our current offerings (3 lb savings per rotor) yet offer a substantial improvement in rotor life. This foundry is known for casting some of the highest quality cast iron race rotors. The R-Spec rotors will be available as an upgrade to any of our Extreme+ systems, and feature a unique hat (this is a floating rotor).

The upgrade will be available for any of our Extreme+ systems, as well as the Baer Tracker Floater rear-end conversion. The R-Spec rotors will come in a slot only finish.

The R-Spec 6R caliper is a race version of the popular 6S caliper. This is built out of 2618 Forged aluminum that is US sourced, and is proudly Made in the USA.

Caliper Features

L6R has all the standard key features of the 6S, with these added benefits:

• Standard in a Nickel finish
  • Additional machining for added weight savings (just over a 1lb per caliper)
  • Machined top for quick access     to pads (quick pad changes)
  • Notched stainless pistons

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R

Edited by Robert M