TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Mustang reliability - how does it compare?

mkaresh

My sample sizes remain small. Next month's results will include the 2006 and 2007, but with asterisks for insufficient sample sizes.

That said, the repair rates do appear to be very low for these cars. Which you guys might know, but I personally didn't know, and many people in the general public have no idea of.

Problem is, I do not display asterisked results to the general public, so the November results won't do much to get the word out.

I'd like to get rid of those asterisks. This would happen if the response rate was near 100%--so if you've signed up but haven't yet responded, please do so.

Additional participants would also help.

Vehicle reliability research

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently added a Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb) to the site. People posting common repairs can include a link to a forum thread discussing the problem. I hope this will make it easier for people to find this information, while helping to grow the forums that have been lending a hand with the research.

Common Auto Repairs Database (CARDb)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, many changes to the forum.

Anyway, the February results will soon be posted. So far it looks like the 2006 and 2007 will be included, but the 2005 will not be. The 2007 is within three responses of having no asterisk for a marginal sample size.

In other words, more participants would be quite helpful.

And those of you who have already responded this month, thanks.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

• 3 weeks later...

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

Well I hardly put my 2 cents worth in on this site, But after reading this post, I have a 2006 Mustang with the V6 for the gas mileage, I traded in my 1967 Chevy truck for it, I had a new corvette motor in the truck and loved the power I was getting but not the gas Mileage nor the issues that I was having with the powertrane, The motor had to much power for the trans and rear end. And plus I was putting $30 every day in gas just to go to work and back, Now I put $30 in the Mustang and go to work all week long and to my Martial Arts class which is 4 days. I couldn't do that with my truck. They gave me $10,000 for my truck and I put down an additional $2,000 down so I owe only $5,000 for my Mustang. The only issue I have with my car is that when I purchased it I bought it used and not new, And it had close to 40,000 miles on it which is awful high for a 2006 model But I liked it, Test drove it and bought it. The only time it was in the shop was for the tune up service, I also carfaxed it to see if it was wrecked or anything and everything came back positive, No wrecks or mechanical problems existed a major plus. So far no problems, knock on wood. My Truck had 600 rear wheel horse power not flywheel horse power, The person that built my motor for the truck builds racing motors in Greenville S.C. The next step up was to change the Trans and rear end but I didn't feel like sinking any more money in to it so I traded it for a FORD. The next step is Paying off the car in the next year or so, and then the Modifications will start.

As for the to encourage participation get for real, If you are going to post here something like that then keep it free of charge since the Mustang is what this site is for anyway. Amy and the Snake man himself can get you for solicitation on his site. I wouldn't pay you to see what people are saying about their Mustangs if they are reliable or not, Why would any of us Mustang owners pay you to hear about a vehicle we already own especialy when it's on info other people are telling you to begin with and not what you don't know. I already payed a fee to join this club so I can come on this site and get some knowledge about Shelby Mustangs, I'm not paying another fee too see if they are reliable.

The Ghostrider has came and went without being seen and won't be seen.

When I started this thread, it was at StangsUnleashed. I assume Team Shelby acquired that forum.

Anyway, I'm not looking to charge anyone here for anything. But people need an incentive to participate, hence full access for participants.

This might be a better way to look at what I'm doing: all the time at forums like this one people discuss how reliable their cars are. I'm providing a systematic way for owners to get together and pool reliability info on their cars. I'm doing all the heavy lifting. And I'm charging nothing for the service for those who participate in it.

Also, I'm not just providing people with information about the cars they already own, but about other cars they might consider buying. So the group of owners coming together to make this possible (19,000 so far) aren't just Mustang owners, but all owners. By pooling all of their info, everyone learns about all of the cars involved.

Some people manage to find fault with this, but some people can find fault with anything. If you don't want to participate, fine. But for those who do want to participate, I'm doing all I can to provide them with the best possible reliability information, for free.

Well Pardon me but the first part of the post sounded like you were charging a fee to see what others are saying about their vehicles, My apologies. But I thought this site was about eveything and anything on the Shelby mustangs and for people who loved Shelby vehicles. But since you are not charging a fee then I wouldn't mind participating. I have a 2006 Mustang V6. And what's funny about my V6 package is that it's not the premium. It does have everything the premium has fully loaded except for the leather interior.

It has the power seat, power mirrors, traction control, Shaker 500 sterio,the digital read outs as far as the mileage and fuel and so on, the alarm, cruise control, short throw shifter, Pony Package, the whole 9 yards, 17 inch alloy wheels pirelli tires, It has everything the premium package has except the leather seats. and from what I was told by the people at the dealership it was the only 2006 model mustang on the South East Coast with the package deal that it has from the factory. I have yet to beleive it, But I haven't seen one around like it out of all the places I've been too and looked at other Mustangs. That's part of the reason why I bought it. From what I understand The original owner that bought the mustang ordered it from the factory that way. He wanted the full package V6 Premium model but didn't like the leather seats and he wanted the pony package on it as well so the dealer ship put his request in and they built the mustang to the specifications he payed cash money for it drove it around put alot of serious Highway miles on it and traded it in on a new one, he keeps a car for 9 -11 months then trades them in for another one. But I'm going to be doing a search on the car to see if it is true to what I was told about it and if it is then I have something some what rare. But even so after I pay it off will either be traded in for a new one or It will be modified to my liking. The rear quarter windows will be taking out and replaced with the silver horse racing flush mounted louvers, there are some vented front fenders I've seen that I liked, cold air intake true duel exaust, GT rear fascia, Limo tinted windows,SCT tuner, Ghost flames painted on the black, pinstripes taken off,Gold Mustang stripe taken off the bottom of the car, Changing the rear end out for the 8.8 with the 3.55 or 3.73 gears. and adding the true shaker system for the V6. I need gas mileage so the super charger is in the floating field for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad we got that sorted out. I'm just trying to help here. Really.

The good news: the February results will include the 2006 and 2007.

The bad news: 24 owners of the 2007 responded without additional prompting. The minimum for a full result: 25. I sent additional emails to the 15 or so people who hadn't responded, and not one of them stepped up

So the result for the 2007 will be asterisked (like that for the 2006) for insufficient sample size. I'll post the results here once they're official, but on the site asterisked results are only visible to members.

The 2007 Mustang was the only model to fall just one response short.

In short, I'd really like to have full results for all model years, but it's going to take more people.

To read the details and sign up to help make this happen:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Those results were posted for the 2005, 2006, and 2007. The first is asterisked because of a marginal sample size.

But the results are consistent: these cars appear to require few repairs.

I should note that many of them are second cars and not driven much, but Ford is clearly doing well here.

I'd like to get rid of that asterisk and include additional model years--need owners' help to make this happen.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Updated results recently posted. The 2005, 2006, and 2007 Mustangs continue to require few repairs. Not enough participants for the 2008, and a very small sample size for the 2005, so that result is asterisked.

Results are only visible to non-members on the site itself with sample sizes of 30+. No year of the Mustang reached that point.

Additional participants would let us publicly post results for all model years.

The current set:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to the help of this forum's members, the latest results include the Ford Mustang.

In terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2005: 62, about average, marginal sample size

2006: 21, much better than average

2007: 6, much better than average--very low

Additional participants would be helpful, especially for the 2005, 2008, and 2009.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This sounds like JP Powers - who sends me a buck and wants me to spend 30 minutes on a survey. :lurk:

This is much different than J.D. Power:

--we DON'T send you any money

--we DO provide you with full access to the results; we're conducting this research for participants, not the OEMs

--these results are promptly updated four times a year, and track vehicles through their entire lifespans

--the survey is MUCH shorter; if you have no repairs, it takes 20-30 seconds for the typical participant; if you have a repair, about two minutes

The latest Car Reliability Survey results were recently posted. The reported number of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2007: 15 -- very low

2006: 38 -- still "better than average"

2005: 60 -- average, maybe a bit better

Insufficient data so far for the 2008, and the sample size for the 2005 was three short of the minimum. So that result is asterisked and only visible to members or the site itself.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November, so additional participants would certainly be helpful. Especially for the 2005, 2008, 2009, and (when it arrives) 2010.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The ones for the Mustang:

Ford Mustang reliability comparisons

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 43, about average, very small sample size

2007: 22, better than average

2006: 53, about average

2005: 60, about average, marginal sample size

A big thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 53, about average, small sample size

2007: 39, better than average

2006: 52, about average

2005: 60, about average

A big thank you to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

The durability of these cars cannot be compared to anything for the simple fact that people buy these cars to beat the shit out of them. (in a nutshell) It's the bang for the buck factor that the 5.0L revived. How many members here have once owned a 5.0L? As stated before look at the sales figures, look at the racetracks, look at the aftermarket.

Archived