TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Mustang reliability - how does it compare?

mkaresh

In late 2005 I started conducting reliability research. I'm reporting absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that will make the differences between cars much clearer. I'll also be updating results four times a year, so there will be information on new models sooner.

I'm collecting data on all years of the S197, but the sample sizes remain marginal. As a result, next month I'll have results for just one year, the 2006, and even those will be asterisked for an insufficient sample size (15 responses currently). More cars would help a great deal.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will receive full access to the results free of charge.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

Comments, questions, and suggestions welcome.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest results recently posted here:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

As mentioned above, the result for the 2006 Mustang is not publicly visible because the sample size is too small. That said, the fact that no respondent reported a repair suggests that these cars are very reliable lately.

I hope more owners can sign up and participate, so I'll be able to publicly post results for all recent model years.

I don't put much stock in any of these owner satisfaction studies because people who really don't like something about a car generally don't buy it.

You can sell fewer and fewer cars every year but still score at the top of such a study if the people who do buy the car really like it. If anything, cars that the general public either doesn't think much of or doesn't know about tend to do better in such studies.

Are you implying that I contradict myself?

There's a huge difference between a satisfaction study and a reliability study. One asks people how much they like their cars, the other asks how often their car has required a repair. Two totally different things. Satisfaction is highly subjective, whether a window regulator, oxygen sensor, etc. needs to be replaced is not.

• 4 weeks later...

Of course the Mustang is reliable!! How many cars do you know of that you can throw slicks on and drag race, perform burnouts and doughnuts constantly and still get you to work everyday? I don't need a report to tell me that it's reliable!! :rolleyes:

Of course the Mustang is reliable!! How many cars do you know of that you can throw slicks on and drag race, perform burnouts and doughnuts constantly and still get you to work everyday? I don't need a report to tell me that it's reliable!! :rolleyes:

I don't know what to think. I've never owned a Mustang, but have always wanted to. I've had so many people tell me "Mustangs are crap", that they fall apart, etc. If you look on consumerreports.org, in the last couple of body styles of the Mustang (at least in the engine department) it sort of supports the nay-sayers. However, the S197 has been getting all kinds of acclaim. So, hopefully, sometime in the next couple of years I'll be able to get one. But, I'd like to buy brand new to avoid any abuse. Don't know if the S197 will still be around when I'm able to buy, but, I really hope so. Ideally, I'd like my S197 to last me for 20 years or longer, but, if I put cams, blower, CAI & exhaust, I'm thinking I'll either be replacing an engine after a few years, or buying forged innards. Either way, that's a pretty penny.

- Josh

I don't know what to think. I've never owned a Mustang, but have always wanted to. I've had so many people tell me "Mustangs are crap", that they fall apart, etc. If you look on consumerreports.org, in the last couple of body styles of the Mustang (at least in the engine department) it sort of supports the nay-sayers. However, the S197 has been getting all kinds of acclaim. So, hopefully, sometime in the next couple of years I'll be able to get one. But, I'd like to buy brand new to avoid any abuse. Don't know if the S197 will still be around when I'm able to buy, but, I really hope so. Ideally, I'd like my S197 to last me for 20 years or longer, but, if I put cams, blower, CAI & exhaust, I'm thinking I'll either be replacing an engine after a few years, or buying forged innards. Either way, that's a pretty penny.

- Josh

I am sure there have been problems reported with the Mustang. I just think it is hilarious when GM guys say Mustangs are Crap when their Camaro's are the same, if not worse. It just so happens that more Mustangs will be in the shop because there are a lot more of them out on the road, because people actually buy them vs the NO SELL camaro. I had a 2000 V6 Mustang with about 55k miles and that car took some beating. The biggest issue I had with it was a weak battery, 5 years later, in 2005. Maybe it had something to due with the fact that I stopped driving the car for months at a time. I managed to not service my car for almost 25k miles, and it still was running great. Yea that sounds bad, I guess I got too hooked on my new car, but it wont happen again. I miss that car. I think that for the price and TYPE of car you are buying, these things are very reliable and well put together. M2C

Alex

I am sure there have been problems reported with the Mustang. I just think it is hilarious when GM guys say Mustangs are Crap when their Camaro's are the same, if not worse. It just so happens that more Mustangs will be in the shop because there are a lot more of them out on the road, because people actually buy them vs the NO SELL camaro. I had a 2000 V6 Mustang with about 55k miles and that car took some beating. The biggest issue I had with it was a weak battery, 5 years later, in 2005. Maybe it had something to due with the fact that I stopped driving the car for months at a time. I managed to not service my car for almost 25k miles, and it still was running great. Yea that sounds bad, I guess I got too hooked on my new car, but it wont happen again. I miss that car. I think that for the price and TYPE of car you are buying, these things are very reliable and well put together. M2C

Alex

Alex,

Since the S197, I haven't been listening to the anti-Mustang crowd much. A guy at my work is the most recent one, but he's a "MOPAR" fan, and basically just regurgitates the info. spouted in Dodge's latest commercial... "First muscle car...", "first car in NASCAR", etc. I tried telling him about the S197 winning the LAMANS races and what not, but he wouldn't hear any of it. Oh well. Hopefully my time will soon come to buy a brand new S197 Mustang GT. The upcoming 2009 and 2012 designs just don't look as good as the current design does.

- Josh

11k miles. Zero issues. And mine is "driven" with spirit.

Ditto here too, but I'm up to 18,000 miles with zero issues. I think that just about any modern car that is well cared for will be reliable. On the flip side, look at Hondas, I mean ricers; Honda is generally an extremely reliable car, but in the hands of a kid that can't afford proper maintenance and with being severely abused, they are literally falling apart.

The Mustang benefits from the additional mettle (pun intended, loosely defined of course) in the engine and drive train such that it can withstand proportionally more abuse than many other cars in the same class.

This is my 5th Mustang, and even the models I've owned that should have been "unreliable" according to surveys, mine always were trouble free even with heavy mods (with the exception of a few times when I was being just plain stupid).

I'm glad to hear that you and Ruff are responsible drivers and had no issues.

Ruff, I think I understand your term "spirited" to mean, you don't drive around like a little old lady, nor do you drive it like you would a station wagon. You give your Stang some juice a few times daily, but don't abuse it. Yes?

- Josh

The drivetrain on our GT's are built to handle around 500HP. That's pretty reliable to me. Abusing the car would mean to me not changing the oil. I've had many Fords. They've all been reliable. On the other hand, I've had a couple Chevy's that broke down weekly... :hysterical2:

1976 Mustang 4 banger piece of crap, got rid of it with 77,000 miles on it

1984 Mustang GT 139,000 mile and ran great when I sold it very reliable

1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe 250,000 + miles on it when I sold it also very reliable

1996 Explorer V8 my daily driver 250,000 + miles and still running like it was new, very reliable

2000 Windstar V6 Piece of crap, 134,000 miles nothing but trouble since it was baught

Moral of the story V8 baby :happy feet:

I don't need a report

1976 Mustang 4 banger piece of crap, got rid of it with 77,000 miles on it

1984 Mustang GT 139,000 mile and ran great when I sold it very reliable

1989 Mustang 5.0 Coupe 250,000 + miles on it when I sold it also very reliable

1996 Explorer V8 my daily driver 250,000 + miles and still running like it was new, very reliable

2000 Windstar V6 Piece of crap, 134,000 miles nothing but trouble since it was baught

Moral of the story V8 baby :happy feet:

I don't need a report

I like your logic Super Snake! I've also adopted this line of thinking. My mom bought her Explorer brand new in 1990 (6 cyl.). She's kept it up, and other than the old school a/c going out this year, she's only had very minor complaints. She has 189,000 on it. Sorry to bark a catch phrase here, but, "Bult Ford Tough"? I think so.

- Josh

I'm glad to hear that you and Ruff are responsible drivers and had no issues.

Ruff, I think I understand your term "spirited" to mean, you don't drive around like a little old lady, nor do you drive it like you would a station wagon. You give your Stang some juice a few times daily, but don't abuse it. Yes?

- Josh

To be more specific - I hardly ever do a hard launch (bring up the revs and dump the clutch).

That's hard on the drivetrain.

I get it rolling in fist then romp on it.

I don't speed shift (not letting off the gas).

I don't always run it up to 6500. I don't think I've ever bounced off the rev limiter.

I'm easy on brakes.

I'm the guy you want to buy a car from.

(and I change oil & filters & maintain air pressure religiously)

And I don't let "hardly" anyone drive my car - and if they do, I'm with them. :redcard:

I like your logic Super Snake! I've also adopted this line of thinking. My mom bought her Explorer brand new in 1990 (6 cyl.). She's kept it up, and other than the old school a/c going out this year, she's only had very minor complaints. She has 189,000 on it. Sorry to bark a catch phrase here, but, "Bult Ford Tough"? I think so.

- Josh

All other previously owned car just didn't hold up to my style of driving or usage.

I didn't just pick Ford because my dad drove them , I picked them because they last

Ruf, whenever you want to get rid of that black stallion...Give me a call. I am ready for another 'stang, and the Bullitt might not be what I was hoping for.

BTW, I hope you don't mind, but the RUFSTANG is the wallpaper on my laptop. Nothing but compliments from the guys at CAT.

To be more specific - I hardly ever do a hard launch (bring up the revs and dump the clutch).

That's hard on the drivetrain.

I get it rolling in fist then romp on it.

I don't speed shift (not letting off the gas).

I don't always run it up to 6500. I don't think I've ever bounced off the rev limiter.

I'm easy on brakes.

I'm the guy you want to buy a car from.

(and I change oil & filters & maintain air pressure religiously)

And I don't let "hardly" anyone drive my car - and if they do, I'm with them. :redcard:

Good show. I would be a little harder on my car than you are, but, I do try to follow those same examples. After all, if you make that kind of driving a habit, you'll only cause yourself financial woes later.

- Josh

Ruf, whenever you want to get rid of that black stallion...Give me a call. I am ready for another 'stang, and the Bullitt might not be what I was hoping for.

BTW, I hope you don't mind, but the RUFSTANG is the wallpaper on my laptop. Nothing but compliments from the guys at CAT.

Hi Nis - I appreciate the compliment! I've had a blast putting it all together to make it one of a kind. I've got a student who's going to do some pro pics of the car. I'll post when I have them. And - the Vortech is going in next week!

By the way - I drove big trucks for 20 years. If I ever bought one - it would have a CAT. :rockon:

You seen this pic? It's my favorite so far.

post-4913-1192047636_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1192047636_thumb.jpg

Good show. I would be a little harder on my car than you are, but, I do try to follow those same examples. After all, if you make that kind of driving a habit, you'll only cause yourself financial woes later.

- Josh

I'm not judging anyone's driving habits! To each his own.

My habits probably go back to when I could actually work on my cars! And if I tore something up, I'd have to fix it! And driving big trucks taught me to respect my equipment. I never baby a truck or car - but I don't treat them in such a way as to abuse them. ie: burnouts. I just don't get that. Sit there with your foot on the brake and smoke up the rears? Sorry. Not in my car.

But - if it's late at night - and we're lined up at a light - and there's no one around......tighten up your belts, hear? :hysterical2:

I'm not judging anyone's driving habits! To each his own.

My habits probably go back to when I could actually work on my cars! And if I tore something up, I'd have to fix it! And driving big trucks taught me to respect my equipment. I never baby a truck or car - but I don't treat them in such a way as to abuse them. ie: burnouts. I just don't get that. Sit there with your foot on the brake and smoke up the rears? Sorry. Not in my car.

But - if it's late at night - and we're lined up at a light - and there's no one around......tighten up your belts, hear? :hysterical2:

I can see your point about smokin' your tires, but for me it's an itch I'll have to scratch a few times before I get tired of it. My logical side says "you're wasting money", but, for one thing, I've never had a car with enough power to smoke the tires (without killing the car), and for another, it just kinda looks and sounds cool to me. If I had to venture a guess, I'd probably light 'em up 5 or 10 times on my own, maybe a few times to show off with my friends, and then no more after that, unless I was getting ready to run a quarter mile. :burnout:

Dumping the clutch? Yes, bad idea.

So you're finally getting your supercharger eh? SWEET, man! You HAVE to give us some vids and pics when it's installed, Ruf! I can't wait to hear what that mother sounds like with a charger AND the cams!! You are a lucky guy.

- Josh

That's the one on my desktop. I thought I convinced myself to jsut keep driving my Mazda 3 and save gas, but I am having a hard time staying away from the mustangs. We have been talking about buying a ring and getting married and I get the feeling if I buy one more thing before a ring... The motorcycle I just picked up in June was close to the limit already. The argument that selling the bike would give me the same payment as the bike and the Mazda put together is a good one, and it makes sense to me. However I don't think she'll agree until her left ring finger gets a little heavier.

Congrats on the s/c. That thing will be a beast.

BTW how loud are the race axle-backs you have on? You are still using the stock H-Pipe, right?

Sorry for the thread-jacking.

I'll try to get a vid/audio clip after the install.

Everyone who hears the Bassani Race's likes them.

A short burnout to clean the tires off before staging is one thing. I'm talking about sitting there and creating a NASCAR style burnout. Dumb! IMHO.

Besides, I have a feeling that very soon I won't have a problem breaking them loose while in motion!

The cams come to life at 3500 and so will the Vortech. Should make for a very...spirited experience! :yahoo:

post-4913-1192134191_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1192134191_thumb.jpg

That's the one on my desktop. I thought I convinced myself to jsut keep driving my Mazda 3 and save gas, but I am having a hard time staying away from the mustangs. We have been talking about buying a ring and getting married and I get the feeling if I buy one more thing before a ring... The motorcycle I just picked up in June was close to the limit already. The argument that selling the bike would give me the same payment as the bike and the Mazda put together is a good one, and it makes sense to me. However I don't think she'll agree until her left ring finger gets a little heavier.

Congrats on the s/c. That thing will be a beast.

BTW how loud are the race axle-backs you have on? You are still using the stock H-Pipe, right?

Sorry for the thread-jacking.

I'm the wrong guy to give advice on women. You're on your own! :hysterical2:

I'm the wrong guy to give advice on women. You're on your own! :hysterical2:

:rolleyes:

:hysterical:

My point about the burnouts: You can perform them in our Mustangs without worrying about breaking the car. Wearing out the tires or not. At the track, 99% of the time it's a ricer car that breaks at the starting line before racing from just heating the tires up. Point being: The Mustang is reliable. Per this topic. :backtotopic:

...99% of the time it's a ricer car that breaks at the starting line before racing from just heating the tires up. Point being: The Mustang is reliable. Per this topic. :backtotopic:

Isn't that because they're hitting the rev limiter when the burnout and when they launch? The only reason I can think that someone would treat their vehicle that way (Mustang or not) is that they didn't have to EARN that car. It was probably given to them. That, or they were just too ignorant to think that their car wouldn't break by pressing it to its extremes.

- Josh

Archived