TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Battery Question

So...I keep a trickle charger on my battery when I'm not driving the Shelby. It has always done a great job of keeping the battery topped off. Now, however, the charger is indicating the battery is bad. I suppose that's possible since it's 8 years old. Now here's the two part question; what is the best replacement battery, and can I leave the trickle charger connected while replacing the battery so nothing in memory is lost? Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

Yes and yes.  my fird gt did the same thing.  the battery was 7 years old but the tender indicated it wasn't topping off.  the gt has a factory render that plugs in to the cigarette lighter and the tender held the emissions settings.  Keeping one on the battery terminals with all the jostling around seemed problematic, so I'd wrap it on with electrical tape to be sure they don't pop off (or maybe your arrangement is on the screw terminals which may also be loose).  Just be careful to keep the positive terminal well insulated so it doesn't short to ground with the tender attached. 

Edited by twobjshelbys

I got almost 6 years out of my OEM battery. If you got 7 years out of the OEM battery then why switch to a different Brand? Go back with the Motorcraft. 

Edited by mhr1961

I have no real allegiance to the factory on batteries.  In my case I was locked to an Optima - the Ford GT battery is a rebadged Optima, I wanted Ford but the dealer didn't have one so I just got the Optima equivalent.  But in Vegas we go through batteries like some people go through underwear - my new Honda just got two years even parked inside. 

My first Motorcraft battery on the 2011 failed within a year and was replaced with another Motorcraft which lasted until last year.  I replaced with a NAPA unit (not sure who the manufacturer is) with the highest cranking power size and no problems.  It seems to last many weeks longer than the Motorcraft without failure from lack of trickle charger or running the car.  

6 minutes ago, 66GT350PS said:

My first Motorcraft battery on the 2011 failed within a year and was replaced with another Motorcraft which lasted until last year.  I replaced with a NAPA unit (not sure who the manufacturer is) with the highest cranking power size and no problems.  It seems to last many weeks longer than the Motorcraft without failure from lack of trickle charger or running the car.  

Thanks, appreciate the info.

13 hours ago, shelby001 said:

2007 GT 500 still running the original battery no problems yet  but  not expecting another year we will see . I have stock with Motorcraft batteries as I have good life out of all that I have had.

No that's a long run! Yep, gonna' swing by the dealer in the morning and pick one up. No reason to change that I can see. Thanks.

3 hours ago, SoCalSGT said:

No that's a long run! Yep, gonna' swing by the dealer in the morning and pick one up. No reason to change that I can see. Thanks.

Make sure you get the right size that fits your battery tray if its an 07-09 there are two   BXT 96R   , &  BXT 40- R  the  lengths are different  & also C.A is different

9 hours ago, kyarnelli said:

I just replaced my original battery from 2011 this week.  The motorcraft battery lasted longer than any battery i ever had.  So im going to stick with motorcraft.

As did I. Hard to complain about that lifespan.