TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My '09 threw a code today and clearly have a misfire

P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected....

The car started running rough after hopping hard on the throttle getting on the highway.  I have never changed the coils and it is probably time to change the spark plugs again.  I've got the NGK iridium plugs in my car, but not certain what heat range to use (6, 7, or 8).  Any suggestions for a 619 HP car? 

2 hours ago, Secondo said:

+1 coil pack. Plugs 1 step colder than stock, level 7, for that HP/boost (about 11? guess) range.

+1 on what Secondo said,   Easy check on the coil pack. If coil pack on cyl 2 appears to be the problem,  then swap it with coil pak 4, if problem moves to cyl 4 then it is most likely a faulty coil pack. If it doesn’t move from 2 to 4 then next step may be check for faulty injector, if not injector then I would take it in to a qualified mechanic/dealership and have it checked out thoroughly to avoid something catastrophic. Best of luck.

I am wondering if it could be an injector... it cleans up at different RPMs.  Maybe the injectors just need to be cleaned.

I moved the number 2 coil pack to cylinder number one, reset the codes, and drove the car. Now cylinder number one shows the misfire. Glad it’s just a coil pack! I think I’ll order all eight and replace them all since the car is 10 years old. 

3 hours ago, ViperNC said:

I moved the number 2 coil pack to cylinder number one, reset the codes, and drove the car. Now cylinder number one shows the misfire. Glad it’s just a coil pack! I think I’ll order all eight and replace them all since the car is 10 years old. 

Viper,

Glad to hear it only appears to be a coil pack. If it was something else it could get quite expensive. Coil packs by federal regs are supposed to be designed to have a minimum of 2 year /24,000 miles design. In most cases they actually last much longer. Even though your car may be 10 or so years old doesn’t mean all the packs need replacing as many of them last 100,000+ miles.Your call of course,  and again glad it appears to be a simple fix……..if the GT500 is on the fritz at least you have that new Viper as a back up ride…..🙂

13 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Viper,

Glad to hear it only appears to be a coil pack. If it was something else it could get quite expensive. Coil packs by federal regs are supposed to be designed to have a minimum of 2 year /24,000 miles design. In most cases they actually last much longer. Even though your car may be 10 or so years old doesn’t mean all the packs need replacing as many of them last 100,000+ miles.Your call of course,  and again glad it appears to be a simple fix……..if the GT500 is on the fritz at least you have that new Viper as a back up ride…..🙂

The decision to replace all 8 was more of a financial one.  $67 for one coil pack of $235 for all 8.  Seemed like an easy choice.  Of course I'll have 7 good used coil packs available if anyone needs some!  :hysterical2:

Edited by ViperNC

I pulled the #2 cylinder plug and it looked almost brand new.  Cleaned it up a bit and reinstalled.  Probably less than 15000 miles on these plugs.

Is FoMoCo the coils of choice or is there some hotter ones out there that are longer lasting? If the car has any mods the factory coils might not be strong enough. I haven't looked into this yet, but if I have a coil go I'd seriously consider upgrading them...if there is a such a thing (I know there are coils out there, but being available and being good are two different things).

15 hours ago, 89Saleen215 said:

Is FoMoCo the coils of choice or is there some hotter ones out there that are longer lasting? If the car has any mods the factory coils might not be strong enough. I haven't looked into this yet, but if I have a coil go I'd seriously consider upgrading them...if there is a such a thing (I know there are coils out there, but being available and being good are two different things).

There are aftermarket coils. There are mixed reviews about them. Many people have tried so called "hotter" coils and have had failures and gone back to the FoMoCo coils.If I ever replace mine I am just going with the OEM coils. The originals have lasted me over 10 years now with zero issues......so that is a pretty good indicator of reliability for me on the OEM coils . To each his own.