TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Paint Problems

bradenbb

My clearcoat on the hood was not adhering to the paint. With 500 miles on the car it was a warrantly item. I took it the local dealer and they said it is happening a lot and they will repaint under warranty. I just picked up the car Monday night. I drove it home and put it in the garage. This morning I had some time to look at the paint job. I found a bubble, the front left section is badly swirled and a chip. I called the dealer and they said they may be able to fix it but not the chip. I told them I drove the car 12 miles in a 35 zone. It is not from me. Besides, I told them I want to start my ownership of this car with a perfectly painted hood. They said they will repair the areas that are there responibility, if any of those exist.

I asked to speak with the manager and he is supposed ot call me. I have been VERY CALM about this but my blood is starting to simmer. I called Ford and they want to see if I can work it out. Then call back.

Just wondering if anyone has advice, ideas. This is why Ford struggles in the marketplace.

No sh*t...if this was Toyota you would have a new car. We had a 4-Runner at one point and had a problem with the head casket. I paid a mechanic $1,500 to repair it when shortly thereafter Toyota notified us that they would be stepping up to the plate and refunding the cost of this repair and then they asked us to bring the truck in to the dealer and have them do it over (keep in mind the repair was already done and perfect). During Toyota's replacement of the head casket they determoned that it would be in our best interest to have them replace the entire block (at no charge). The dealer suggested that I pay for a valve job and I would then have a completely new engine. THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF TAKING CARE OF THE CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP. Compare this to how Ford has been treating us...they think we are fools and I am beginning to feel like one with everything I've gone through with this car and now they're telling us what color stripes we have to have for the 40th. This countries business policies seem to follow Washington's way of doing business...DICTATORSHIP!

I feel like bringing everyone together and teaching a Marketing course. These people (All involved) seemed to have lost site of being customer centric. I'm done with this B.S. I will purchase everything for my Shelby from third party vendors, period. Someone tell me when the 40th Anniversary emblem comes out on Ebay.

Sand blasted the hood? especially on a dark car. Not too many body shops would take that risk. Even a low pressure blaster could run a risk of warping it. If it needed to be stripped I could see chemical paint remover followed up by sanding to prep it for a sealer and then primer. Is the rock chip new or painted over? Either way, re painting the entire hood would add additional build up and thickness plus multiple coats of product which could enentually cause bigger problems. I painted many dents and chips I didn't get paid for over the years, it didn't take that much more effort when you were on the same pannel any way. I don't understand whats happened to customer service, it has really gone down the crapper. No body gives a shit any more.

If the chip is post paint and fresh, you can add just enough color to cover the primer or bare metal and then have the shop take a dab of clear that has been catylized and carefully dab or fill the chip. 2 days later have them wet sand the chip with 2500 papper and buff. That will minimise the chip but not completely make it invisable.

Here is what I was told. The aluminum hoods are having problems with the paint. It is a problem on many cars. The procedure is to strip the hood back to bare and repaint it as knew. That is what I was told they were going to do. That is what they say they did. Strip it, paint it, bake it, paint it bake it, clearcoat, sand and polish. 100% of the hood so it would be better then new. The paint ship was only noticed when I got home and washed to car two days after I picked it up. When I picked it up I could not see it because the car had rubbing compound and stuff on it that they said would fall off as I drove it. I drove it 12miles at 25-35 MPH on stop and go streets. Only way to get home not by choice.

Here is what I was told. The aluminum hoods are having problems with the paint. It is a problem on many cars. The procedure is to strip the hood back to bare and repaint it as knew. That is what I was told they were going to do. That is what they say they did. Strip it, paint it, bake it, paint it bake it, clearcoat, sand and polish. 100% of the hood so it would be better then new. The paint ship was only noticed when I got home and washed to car two days after I picked it up. When I picked it up I could not see it because the car had rubbing compound and stuff on it that they said would fall off as I drove it. I drove it 12miles at 25-35 MPH on stop and go streets. Only way to get home not by choice.

LOL @ 'rubbing compound and stuff on it that they said would fall off as I drove it'

I haven't ever seen a car that has been painted / repainted that had materials left on it to 'fall off' as you go down the road.

I feel bad for you, but welcome to Ford Quality - where quality is job one. And by quality, we mean the quality of the wood used in the phone pole we jam in you to sell you the car, after that good luck with getting assistance.

You shouldn't have to have a freaking courtship with a dealership and buy 34989 vehicles with them and give the GM backrubs to get decent service. You should be able to walk into a dealership, any dealership, and have a good quality service without any games. As for putting miles on your car, I always note the mileage when I drop it off, and tell my tech what it was, and verify what it is when I pick it up. I once had a guy do an oil change on my car and put 10 miles on it. I made them buy me a new set of tires out of that mechanics paycheck. $500 dollar lesson I hope that grease monkey had a fun time swallowing.

I dunno, I've had so many bad experiences with Ford over the years it's really tough to consider getting another car from them. Privately owned companies like BMW start sounding more and more appealing as the years go by. At least I know they will stand behind their product and aren't hurting for money due to a piss poor business plan which makes them cut all the corners they can.

Good luck with your car, but I almost think in 20 years Ford will be a company that was remembered, not a company that is still a leading auto manufacturer.

LOL @ 'rubbing compound and stuff on it that they said would fall off as I drove it'

I haven't ever seen a car that has been painted / repainted that had materials left on it to 'fall off' as you go down the road.

I feel bad for you, but welcome to Ford Quality - where quality is job one. And by quality, we mean the quality of the wood used in the phone pole we jam in you to sell you the car, after that good luck with getting assistance.

You shouldn't have to have a freaking courtship with a dealership and buy 34989 vehicles with them and give the GM backrubs to get decent service. You should be able to walk into a dealership, any dealership, and have a good quality service without any games. As for putting miles on your car, I always note the mileage when I drop it off, and tell my tech what it was, and verify what it is when I pick it up. I once had a guy do an oil change on my car and put 10 miles on it. I made them buy me a new set of tires out of that mechanics paycheck. $500 dollar lesson I hope that grease monkey had a fun time swallowing.

I dunno, I've had so many bad experiences with Ford over the years it's really tough to consider getting another car from them. Privately owned companies like BMW start sounding more and more appealing as the years go by. At least I know they will stand behind their product and aren't hurting for money due to a piss poor business plan which makes them cut all the corners they can.

Good luck with your car, but I almost think in 20 years Ford will be a company that was remembered, not a company that is still a leading auto manufacturer.

Total agreement with you on all points. Toyota has been nothing but accomodating on verything with my daughters car and Ford has been the opposite. Already decided my GT500 will be my last Ford car after more than 40 years of buying only Ford. Their salesmen all act and lie like used car dealers and management only cares about the buck instead of a repeat customer.

Total agreement with you on all points. Toyota has been nothing but accomodating on verything with my daughters car and Ford has been the opposite. Already decided my GT500 will be my last Ford car after more than 40 years of buying only Ford. Their salesmen all act and lie like used car dealers and management only cares about the buck instead of a repeat customer.

Do they have a web site?? I am relatively new to this site, however I have found everybody here to be very helpful. Maybe a combined email effort would be fruitless but worth a try. :banghead:

Archived