TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Paint Problems

bradenbb

My clearcoat on the hood was not adhering to the paint. With 500 miles on the car it was a warrantly item. I took it the local dealer and they said it is happening a lot and they will repaint under warranty. I just picked up the car Monday night. I drove it home and put it in the garage. This morning I had some time to look at the paint job. I found a bubble, the front left section is badly swirled and a chip. I called the dealer and they said they may be able to fix it but not the chip. I told them I drove the car 12 miles in a 35 zone. It is not from me. Besides, I told them I want to start my ownership of this car with a perfectly painted hood. They said they will repair the areas that are there responibility, if any of those exist.

I asked to speak with the manager and he is supposed ot call me. I have been VERY CALM about this but my blood is starting to simmer. I called Ford and they want to see if I can work it out. Then call back.

Just wondering if anyone has advice, ideas. This is why Ford struggles in the marketplace.

My clearcoat on the hood was not adhering to the paint. With 500 miles on the car it was a warrantly item. I took it the local dealer and they said it is happening a lot and they will repaint under warranty. I just picked up the car Monday night. I drove it home and put it in the garage. This morning I had some time to look at the paint job. I found a bubble, the front left section is badly swirled and a chip. I called the dealer and they said they may be able to fix it but not the chip. I told them I drove the car 12 miles in a 35 zone. It is not from me. Besides, I told them I want to start my ownership of this car with a perfectly painted hood. They said they will repair the areas that are there responibility, if any of those exist.

I asked to speak with the manager and he is supposed ot call me. I have been VERY CALM about this but my blood is starting to simmer. I called Ford and they want to see if I can work it out. Then call back.

Just wondering if anyone has advice, ideas. This is why Ford struggles in the marketplace.

They should be doing all they can for you . You are absolutly correct about this statement too.

Don't let up on them till you are satisfied completly.

Wear steel toed shoes and prepare to kick some a**.

They will try to get out of anything Go over You're car with a fine tooth comb and look for over spray and everything polishing compound in cracks.

Make absolutely sure that You cover every inch of the car and get everything done now.

Make the service manager go over the car with you.

Sorry to hear about You're car.

I hope they make it right for You.

What color is your car? Torch Red?

My car is black.

The top man at the dealership said " We should never have done a damn thing to that car since it was not bought here." I will get this all resolved but my loyalty to Ford is waining. I am so disgusted. This is 7th Ford auto and I am only 37.

Ford wonders why they struggle. They are all about new car sales....who gives a shit about service. The exact opposite that they should be. Nothing is more expensive then getting new customers. Keeping the existing ones is and should be first.

My car is black.

The top man at the dealership said " We should never have done a damn thing to that car since it was not bought here." I will get this all resolved but my loyalty to Ford is waining. I am so disgusted. This is 7th Ford auto and I am only 37.

Ford wonders why they struggle. They are all about new car sales....who gives a shit about service. The exact opposite that they should be. Nothing is more expensive then getting new customers. Keeping the existing ones is and should be first.

What is the guys name?

that guy is full of shi* they got paid by ford and didn't have a problem cashing the check.

Call Ford customer service and tell them the guy's name and how You were treated and see what happens.

You can also tell the Owner. I am sure that He wouldn't like that He has just lost a customer for life . How about 85 bones for oil change

You should get a customer survay in the mail form Ford, tell them how You really feel.

The swirl and bubbles were sanded and polished out. The chip remains and they say that a rock hit it. The car has 12 miles since it was painted. Tough shit with a smile is what I got although they pointed out that if I bought there they would fix it for sure. I did try to buy it from them, they wanted 25k over invoice and would not let me see the interior when I said they are on EBAY for 18-10k over MSRP.

I have never been treated like this. The manager actually swore in my presence. I am a very calm guy, I work with the IRS for living so you can imagine my patience. When I was speaking to the salespeople and the manager, I asked who owned Ford stock and they actually laughed and none of them do. I did call Ford and there is nothing they can do. They advised I go to another dealer in the future.

The chip is like a pin poke. My concern is if it is a bad paint job it will expand. What can I do to prevent that from happening and to minimize the sight of it? Any ideas?

Thanks.

The swirl and bubbles were sanded and polished out. The chip remains and they say that a rock hit it. The car has 12 miles since it was painted. Tough shit with a smile is what I got although they pointed out that if I bought there they would fix it for sure. I did try to buy it from them, they wanted 25k over invoice and would not let me see the interior when I said they are on EBAY for 18-10k over MSRP.

I have never been treated like this. The manager actually swore in my presence. I am a very calm guy, I work with the IRS for living so you can imagine my patience. When I was speaking to the salespeople and the manager, I asked who owned Ford stock and they actually laughed and none of them do. I did call Ford and there is nothing they can do. They advised I go to another dealer in the future.

The chip is like a pin poke. My concern is if it is a bad paint job it will expand. What can I do to prevent that from happening and to minimize the sight of it? Any ideas?

Thanks.

You need to do what I did when the dealership I bought a new 2000 Exploder told me to screw after their engine replacement didn't fix my problem. I found a responsible dealership that worked with a regional rep to get it replaced with a 2001 Escape. Life long loyalties at one dealership goes a long way. I know the many reasons why these Shelby's were ordered from all types of ways clear cross the country, but find a dealership that stands behind the product they sell not just what their dealership sells. They do exist, I'm living proof. You had a major problem with your paint and they did a half ass job to fix it. You can't prove the chip was there when you drove it away, but they can't prove it wasn't. Find a dealership that will work with you. You claim you have owned many Fords so you must know of a few dealerships. Good luck.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear your troubles. I had a similar experience with my Excursion, they scratch the front bumper replacing the alternator at 500mi. I told them that I didn't want them to paint it because it will never be factory paint. We'll they didn't have another vehicle to take one off of so they repainted it (was not happy) A few thousand mi. later another alternator( told me they had a bad batch of these) and scratched the bumper again, yes I even warned them not to. So more layer of none factory paint and this thing was chipping 1in. pieces of paint. They told me it is wear and tear, I told them bull. They had another used Excursion on the lot with 25k mi. and the paint looked great and it was still factory. My point is you will never have as good as factory paint(durability not quality) unless you can find a body shop that can bake it at a high temp and have super clean air. Also how long was it before you took the car from the paint shop? It takes several months for paint to fully cure. I hope you can find a good body shop w/ bake booth to do it right, maybe this is a good time to have the stripes painted on! :happy feet:

You need to do what I did when the dealership I bought a new 2000 Exploder told me to screw after their engine replacement didn't fix my problem. I found a responsible dealership that worked with a regional rep to get it replaced with a 2001 Escape. Life long loyalties at one dealership goes a long way. I know the many reasons why these Shelby's were ordered from all types of ways clear cross the country, but find a dealership that stands behind the product they sell not just what their dealership sells. They do exist, I'm living proof. You had a major problem with your paint and they did a half ass job to fix it. You can't prove the chip was there when you drove it away, but they can't prove it wasn't. Find a dealership that will work with you. You claim you have owned many Fords so you must know of a few dealerships. Good luck.

You are correct, there are good dealers. I have lived in Columbus OH or Pittsburgh my whole life. I moved to a small town in FL with a 3 year old expedition and a boaght a Shelby the could not get. It is the only dealer with in 30miles. There is another about 48 miles away in Pensacola. Anyone ever been there?

Sorry to hear your troubles. I had a similar experience with my Excursion, they scratch the front bumper replacing the alternator at 500mi. I told them that I didn't want them to paint it because it will never be factory paint. We'll they didn't have another vehicle to take one off of so they repainted it (was not happy) A few thousand mi. later another alternator( told me they had a bad batch of these) and scratched the bumper again, yes I even warned them not to. So more layer of none factory paint and this thing was chipping 1in. pieces of paint. They told me it is wear and tear, I told them bull. They had another used Excursion on the lot with 25k mi. and the paint looked great and it was still factory. My point is you will never have as good as factory paint(durability not quality) unless you can find a body shop that can bake it at a high temp and have super clean air. Also how long was it before you took the car from the paint shop? It takes several months for paint to fully cure. I hope you can find a good body shop w/ bake booth to do it right, maybe this is a good time to have the stripes painted on! :happy feet:

They were done painting on Thurs. I took it home Mon. I am so disgusted.

same thing here. about 3 years ago, i had 3 fords in my driveway. a new white navigator as a biz car, red expedition for my wife and of course a red cobra for myself. this is after owning at least 12 mustangs, and probably 4 or 5 other ford "family" cars. unfortunately the navi had nothing but problems. i owned it for 6 months, and it was in the shop for 4 of them. it all finally came to a head after going through a couple of dealers, as well as a regional manager, and their idea of making me happy was to offer picking up one payment. i told the regional that if they don't exchange the navi for a new one under the lemon law, i am selling everything i own with a blue oval on it. they wouldn't, and one week later the navi, expedition and cobra were gone. replaced by - gulp - two toyotas, and the cobra a year later with a porsche.

my frustrations have since cooled a bit, and i will be getting my '08 gt500 soon, just because i love the car. but now, ever after 3 years, i am still bitter toward ford and what they did to me as a loyal customer. you story just reminds me of my situation and makes me never want to buy another ford product.

So what is the dealership name and do they have a website.

Maybe a few bad email's will do the trick.

I hate crooks I mean crooked dealerships

Call Ford again You will get a new person every time. sooner or later You will get some satisfaction.

I wont leave my car at a dealership. I had a issue with a wheel. It looked like rain and I told the service writer that if it started to rain that I wanted the car put inside. You should have seen the look I got. What do You mean was the nonresponse I got. I said if it starts to rain I want my car out of the rain. They said we dont have the room to put it inside I said park it under the roof that we are standing under and with a dumb look they said ok.

Needless to say they didn't have all the stuff to do the job so I took my car home.

When they called to say that the part was in I took the wheel off in my garage and took in the wheel.

Boy were they suprised to see that I didn't drive in the car.

Actually this story is a lot longer but You can see that dealerships cant be trusted with You're car. They dont have the same passion for this car as We do they think it is just another dam Ford.

Thanks.

Depends on how big it is. For the short term, (I'd take some good photos first), you can use touch-up paint. You can buy the touch-up from Ford...or Duplicolor makes it and most Napa stores carry it. It's about $7-10 for a small bottle. It will not leave a very nice appearance, but at least it will protect from rust.

Dave

For everyone that has read this thread and reads this. When I went in my car had 499 miles. I did not think to make them write it down. I am certain of the mileage. When I picked it up, 527. When I dropped off clean rims, when I picked it up dirty rims. Amazing how that happens when the car never left the body shop.

I did not even bring this up since I cannot prove it and I knew their denial would piss me off. Guys, be careful with your Ford dealership.

For everyone that has read this thread and reads this. When I went in my car had 499 miles. I did not think to make them write it down. I am certain of the mileage. When I picked it up, 527. When I dropped off clean rims, when I picked it up dirty rims. Amazing how that happens when the car never left the body shop.

I did not even bring this up since I cannot prove it and I knew their denial would piss me off. Guys, be careful with your Ford dealership.

That really :censored: me off. I have had this happen to me several times as well. In my experience they say they have to road test vehicles but 28 miles is ridiculous and not even in for mechanical issues! What's really messed up about this situation is you'll take it in the shorts just like everyone else. :angry2:

There are some dealerships out there that are filled with *bad people.* The kinda people that get booted from the good dealerships all wind up at the same dealership it seems to just make a really bad experience. Find yourself a good trustworty dealership that you can work with and trust in the future. Luckily my family has built up a very good relationship with a local ford/lincoln/mercury dealership. They treat us like family and it really is nice to see that there are some people in the business who actually care. Since the oil and change was covered in my service contract, I took the gt500 to them to have the oil changed at around 1700 miles. Despite the fact that this was *earlier* then stated in the service manual and the fact that they had to buy 7 quarts of full synthetic they gave me no bones about it. When i requested if i could take the day off from work and join them in the shop while they changed the oil, they were more than happy to allow me behind the scenes. On top of that, the mechanic i met who did all the work (he threw in some extras for the hell of it, not at all part of an oil change) was great to talk with and he actually TAUGHT me alot (he has MUCH experience with all SVT cars and many years experience with Ferraris).

My best suggestion is FIND A GOOD DEALERSHIP WITH GOOD PEOPLE! They are out there, you just gotta take some time to find em!

There are some dealerships out there that are filled with *bad people.* The kinda people that get booted from the good dealerships all wind up at the same dealership it seems to just make a really bad experience. Find yourself a good trustworty dealership that you can work with and trust in the future. Luckily my family has built up a very good relationship with a local ford/lincoln/mercury dealership. They treat us like family and it really is nice to see that there are some people in the business who actually care. Since the oil and change was covered in my service contract, I took the gt500 to them to have the oil changed at around 1700 miles. Despite the fact that this was *earlier* then stated in the service manual and the fact that they had to buy 7 quarts of full synthetic they gave me no bones about it. When i requested if i could take the day off from work and join them in the shop while they changed the oil, they were more than happy to allow me behind the scenes. On top of that, the mechanic i met who did all the work (he threw in some extras for the hell of it, not at all part of an oil change) was great to talk with and he actually TAUGHT me alot (he has MUCH experience with all SVT cars and many years experience with Ferraris).

My best suggestion is FIND A GOOD DEALERSHIP WITH GOOD PEOPLE! They are out there, you just gotta take some time to find em!

Next you are going to tell us there are good women out there as well! :hysterical2:

just joking...

+1000000

Ford has had problems making the 'right' car that peole want, as far as service, I believe it is the individual dealerships that have screwed up peoples dealings with Ford. Even at particular dealerships you have people who care and people who are just there til they get their next job. Building a relationship w/ someone at the dealership is priceless, as long as they have been there for years and plan on staying.

Look on the work order they had to write the mileage down it is one of the first things that they do.

I am a service manager at a ford dealership in north alabama and also own a GT 500.I hate you had to have paint work on your SHELBY because nobody can duplicate the factory paint.Some times its better to live with the flaw or chip than to repaint.If your going to drive your shelby then expect some paint chips.Ibought mine to drive and enjoy and not to worship.Ihave been in this business for 30 years and have seen it all.I have spent a lot of money to get the best techs money can buy and probably have one of the best service dept and body shops around. Customers we sold to are taken care of 1st all others are at the back of the bus but all are treated equal and professional.If you would have told me to put your shelby under cover if it starts raining I would explain sorry I dont have the space to do that.Do you people think when ford built your shelby and was waiting 2 to 4 weeks to be shipped it was in a covered lot?When your shelby was delivered to the dealer it was on a open car transporter.Your shelby was exposed to rain,snow or salt for atleast 4 weeks,mine was delivered 3-26-07 and was full of salt,I did not like it at all but that was life.As far as techs joy riding or hot riding if caught there fired no excuse.As for your paint problem on your hood I would have fixed your paint chip to if it was on the same panel or painted area.

I am a service manager at a ford dealership in north alabama and also own a GT 500.I hate you had to have paint work on your SHELBY because nobody can duplicate the factory paint.Some times its better to live with the flaw or chip than to repaint.If your going to drive your shelby then expect some paint chips.Ibought mine to drive and enjoy and not to worship.Ihave been in this business for 30 years and have seen it all.I have spent a lot of money to get the best techs money can buy and probably have one of the best service dept and body shops around. Customers we sold to are taken care of 1st all others are at the back of the bus but all are treated equal and professional.If you would have told me to put your shelby under cover if it starts raining I would explain sorry I dont have the space to do that.Do you people think when ford built your shelby and was waiting 2 to 4 weeks to be shipped it was in a covered lot?When your shelby was delivered to the dealer it was on a open car transporter.Your shelby was exposed to rain,snow or salt for atleast 4 weeks,mine was delivered 3-26-07 and was full of salt,I did not like it at all but that was life.As far as techs joy riding or hot riding if caught there fired no excuse.As for your paint problem on your hood I would have fixed your paint chip to if it was on the same panel or painted area.

So You are saying that if I had a Ford GT than I would be treated the same. I personally think that they would bring it into the showroom and park it there.

They had a covered driveway outside the service ares. there was plenty of room for my car and they could still do business without interference from my car.

I realize that before I got my car a lot has happened to it beyond my control but now it is mine and I am in control of it now. If I take my car into service what ever car I have and I have five of them if I want something and I ask for it and It can't be provided for me than I will go to someone that will give me what I want. But I thought that I was there for service and thats what I expect to get for my money or I will take it somewhere else. Its not personal its just business and do they want mine or not. I wish I was a rock star but my car is and I want it treated that way and hopefully You do to.

I read somewhere Ford is closing several dealerships do to cut backs, so I would think some of the dealer would be worried about complaints and take care of the customers. I would not let customers walk away upset if your dealer wants to be around for awhile. I guess its ultimately up to the owner of the dealer and that is who I would talk to first, then to the top at Ford! IMO

The paint and clearcoat were separated and it had to be repainted. They said it would be as good or better then factory. I bought to drive and enjoy, but I bought a new car and never got to have one. It was flawed from delivery. I still love the car and enjoy it but it is crazy to think how the Ford dealerships fight amongst themselves. Mercedes try to win customers to their shops when a vehicle from across town comes in for service.

I have worked in the service dept. at a Ford dealer for 16 years. I cringe when I read how poorly owners have been treated. We get cars from other dealers and I see the shoddy repairs. I understand the public's attitude. The short timer in our service dept. has been here 7 years, some guys have been here well over 20. The problem with most dealers is they won't pay for experience and have no respect for their techs. The attitude is techs are a dime a dozen and if you don't like it hit the road. They don't care that all the factory training goes out the door with the tech. The horror stories I read about rarely happen here, unfortunatly we are the exception not the rule. As a result I hate to tell people what I do for a living. It just sucks that we get a bad rep. due to the marginal people who think they can repair a car. They move from dealer to dealer and continue to F.U. along the way! The Peter principal.

They told me that they removed and sandblasted the entire hood. A brand new job. How can I tell ifthey did it?

I am going to call the dealer I bought it from. Ask if he can help me out.

Sand blasted the hood? especially on a dark car. Not too many body shops would take that risk. Even a low pressure blaster could run a risk of warping it. If it needed to be stripped I could see chemical paint remover followed up by sanding to prep it for a sealer and then primer. Is the rock chip new or painted over? Either way, re painting the entire hood would add additional build up and thickness plus multiple coats of product which could enentually cause bigger problems. I painted many dents and chips I didn't get paid for over the years, it didn't take that much more effort when you were on the same pannel any way. I don't understand whats happened to customer service, it has really gone down the crapper. No body gives a shit any more.

If the chip is post paint and fresh, you can add just enough color to cover the primer or bare metal and then have the shop take a dab of clear that has been catylized and carefully dab or fill the chip. 2 days later have them wet sand the chip with 2500 papper and buff. That will minimise the chip but not completely make it invisable.

They told me that they removed and sandblasted the entire hood. A brand new job. How can I tell ifthey did it?

I am going to call the dealer I bought it from. Ask if he can help me out.

You cant sand blast aluminum period. It will leave dents in the metal sand does this on steel thats why why you don't see that on Overhaulin. Media blasting is what they should have done They would have to replace the stripes also. These guys are lieing to you.

You need to document what where and when and who said what. and Call the Ford rep.

don't fall for that lie.

I think when You get done with this dealership or get tired of them witch ever comes first find a new shop.

AAA has a website they will recommend a shop. AAA has a tough set of standards that have to be meet for there approval.

Too bad that Str8black500 isn't close to You I would take my car there I will trust another GT 500 owner to treat You right

Archived