TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SS/40th Upgrades

For those that are getting the SS or 40th package. How many will be sending their car via transport? And how do plan on bringing back the old/original parts (wheels/tires/blower/etc)?

I'm going to haul mine back on a trailer and bring the parts back in my truck. Someone mentioned that SAI would make arrangements to have the parts shipped to you by freight. I haven't confirmed this as I will be bringing my stuff back.

SAI will place ALL your parts that came off of your car onto a palette that is wrapped in cellophane and or shrink wrap and make arrangement for UPS or FEDEX for shipping....HOWEVER, WE have to pay the bill for shipping which could be VERY expensive considering you will be shipping 4 wheels and tires......

This is per Adrienne at SAI.. I confirmed this when I gave her my deposit two weeks ago.....

I am driving my car over to SAI.. I live in Phoenix so it is only 4 hours and I need to break it in anyways.....So that will be a nice trip to put me over the 500 - 700 mile mark.....

Respectfully,

JW

I'm told the rumor about Tasca in Cranston, RI being the east coast shop is a good rumor. Carroll himself will be there in August for the annual event. Maybe he has a big announcement? check out the flyer...

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...77&hl=tasca

If this is true - I'll likely drive my car up from NoVA and spend a few days there while the work is done. Though I may look into a trailer. I'm getting the 40th plus SS power options done.

and what is the projected cost?

It's not going to be cheap! You've got the hood, exhaust system, suspension, rear end housing, wheels and tires, air intake, supercharger, brake components, front splitter, and all things I can't remenber.

It's going to have to go regular motor freight. I can't just be thrown on a pallet and wrapped with cellophane. Could you imagine what the aluminum hood would after that journey! Packaging alone has to be several hundred dollars. The "package" must weigh close to 700-800 lbs. and its bulky.

I called ABF and 800 lbs from Las Vegas to Albuquerque (600 miles) is about $700. The hood is a different class of freight and costs 5 times more per pound than the rest of the items.

I'm fortunate to live close enough to Las Vegas to drive there in there in a day. I've got several relatives and friends with large enclosed trailers, so no problem getting the parts back to Albuquerque.

It's not going to be cheap! You've got the hood, exhaust system, suspension, rear end housing, wheels and tires, air intake, supercharger, brake components, front splitter, and all things I can't remenber.

It's going to have to go regular motor freight. I can't just be thrown on a pallet and wrapped with cellophane. Could you imagine what the aluminum hood would after that journey! Packaging alone has to be several hundred dollars. The "package" must weigh close to 700-800 lbs. and its bulky.

I called ABF and 800 lbs from Las Vegas to Albuquerque (600 miles) is about $700. The hood is a different class of freight and costs 5 times more per pound than the rest of the items.

I'm fortunate to live close enough to Las Vegas to drive there in there in a day. I've got several relatives and friends with large enclosed trailers, so no problem getting the parts back to Albuquerque.

Man, I just wonder where I'd store the stuff. Storage is already a contentious issue let alone the "Gee honey, I was thinking of spending $85k on a new car...oh and by the way, all that hobby stuff you've got needs to get thrown out so that I can save some stock parts that I'll probably never use :happy feet: :fan: or maybe :rip:

I'm curious, those of you that would want to keep the original parts, do you want them just so that you could return the car to stock or would you plan to sell the parts :headscratch:

For those that are getting the SS or 40th package. How many will be sending their car via transport? And how do plan on bringing back the old/original parts (wheels/tires/blower/etc)?

Go to Shelby's site and look under "Links", you'll find several transport companies to work with. I also got another referral, JDR Logistics, who has the lowest bid so far to get my ride back to WI. JDR ships several Shelby GT's from SAI as well as BMWs from California. Although the web site is...funny, they do use enclosed trailers, cotton and wheels straps. Their office number is 417-426-5777.

Parts are another story. Fortunately I have a FedEx Freight account that will make the choice easy. Why store the parts....have you ever looked for a smog pump for a '69 Boss? Someone, someday will get their hands on and want to restore a moded or crashed GT500 and beg for OEM parts. That's my retirement plan. LOL

Man, I just wonder where I'd store the stuff.......

I'm curious, those of you that would want to keep the original parts, do you want them just so that you could return the car to stock or would you plan to sell the parts :headscratch:

I was going to store the blower on my 2005 5.4L F-150 FX4 :spiteful:

Or.....I can store yours on there instead, and I won't even charge you! :hysterical: I hate to see marital discord, so I do what I can for you guys & gals... :redcard:

• 4 weeks later...

Well as of right now if SAI is the only place to get the converstion done and seeing that I live 2000+ miles from SAI, I'm planning on transporting mine out in my enclosed trailer (still looking for one). Adrienne from SAI said I could leave the trailer untill the converstion is completed. Then I'm either parking my truck at an airport and flying home untill the conversation is complete or I may drive home. I haven't deceide on that yet. However I plan to do it, it will allow me to bring back all my parts. :headspin: :snake:

Archived