TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2019 East Coast Grand Nationals / SAAC-44

Z-man

2019 Team Shelby East Coast Grand Nationals / SAAC-44

For the first time on the East coast, Team Shelby and the Shelby American Automobile Club (SAAC) are combining forces, and invite you to an unparalleled celebration of the Shelby marque.

Taking place in the Northern Pittsburgh area on Thursday, July 11th through Saturday, July 13th, 2019, Team Shelby and SAAC will be hosting both the Team Shelby East Coast Grand Nationals, and SAAC-44, the Shelby American Automobile Club’s National Convention! The event is open to all Team S...helby and SAAC members, as well as anyone who appreciates all things Shelby. The clubs are working to bring you two days of high performance driving at the Pittsburgh International Race Complex, a road rally tour and Poker Run of the western Pennsylvania area, dinner events and programs on both Thursday and Friday evening, alternate activities for those who choose to not track their cars both days, Concours and popular ballot cars shows, and a few surprises as well. Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in all portions of the event, as all activities are open to both Team Shelby and SAAC members, and can be selected during registration.

Besides our two days of Open Track and wheel-to-wheel Vintage Races, as an added bonus, members from the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix will join us at the track, as one of the opening activities of Pittsburgh’s 2019 Race Week, for three full days of exciting track action, culminating the following weekend (July 20th and 21st) in Beautiful Schenley Park with cars shows for all marques, an automotive vendor village, food courtyards, and of course the Vintage Racing taking place in and around the Bob O’Connor Golf Course. Shelby American will be the featured marque of the Vintage Grand Prix this year, so Team Shelby and SAAC members will feel right at home, and are encouraged to stay in Pittsburg for Race Week, enjoying the events that are planned for each day.

Registration to open by the end of this year!

PS – For those of you wondering, Team Shelby will still be celebrating our weekend at the Carlisle Ford Nationals, taking place on Friday, May 31st through Sunday, June 2nd. It will include all the Carlisle activities of prior years, but will not include a track/HPDE component for 2019. Consider it the “Kick Off’ event to the Grand Nationals & SAAC-44, which will be taking place the following month. As always, SAAC members and all Shelby and performance Ford enthusiasts are encouraged to join us at Carlisle for some damn fun! More details to follow.

PR 2019 a.jpg

Edited by Z-man

Team Shelby East Coast Grand Nationals / SAAC-44

Popular Ballot Car Show – Saturday, July 13th,2019

As more information is starting to roll out about our “little Shelby gathering” out by Pittsburgh, PA, in mid-July, we wanted to share a bit of info about one of the favorite non-driving event activities, the Popular Ballot Car Show!

Past conventions have used various ways of creating classes and awarding recognition, from a rigid class list with 1-3 places per class, to just a panel of VIP's walking around and selecting a few cars that catch their eye. Each way has its own merits and faults. More often than not a class method is used, but unfortunately, not all of the trophies end up being awarded if the individual classes are not fully represented. Every year, this topic is reviewed to try to make the show better for all…and we have a new approach for 2019.

For this year, we are using a “hybrid method”, which has been used very successfully in local and regional Shelby shows. It recognizes the best in a total of 33 different classes for all years and models of Shelby’s and High Performance Fords, plus a "Top 25" and additional special/VIP picks.

SAAC 44 / TS East Grand Nationals Car Show Classes

Class # Class Name
1 CSX 2000 289 Cobras
2 CSX 3000 427 Cobras
3 CSX 4000 through 9000 Cobras
4 1965 GT-350
5 1966 GT-350
6 1966 GT-350 Hertz
7 1967 GT-350
8 1967 GT-500
9 1968 GT-350
10 1968 GT-500 & 500KR
11 1969 & 1970 GT-350
12 1969 & 1970 GT-500
13 1969-1971 BOSS Mustang
14 2012-2013 BOSS Mustang
15 2007 - 2009 GT-500 All
16 2007-2009 GT-500 KR & Super Snakes
17 2010-2014 GT-500 All
18 2010-2014 GT-500 Super Snakes
19 2010 to Present GT-350
20 2007 To Present GT & SGT
21 2006 to Present GT-H
22 Shelby Trucks
23 1965 to 1973 Mustangs Stock
24 1965 to 1973 Mustangs Modified
25 1974 to 2004 Mustangs ALL
26 2005 to Present Mustangs ALL
27 Special Edition Mustangs (Saleen, Roush, etc)
28 2005 to Present Ford GT
29 Exotic Ford (Pantera, Tiger, etc)
30 Replicas ALL
31 Competition Cars
32 Special Interest
33 Classic Shelby Mustang Tribute

TOP 25

Peoples Choice (1)
Team Shelby Pick (1)
SAAC Pick (1)
Sponsors Choice / Celebrity Pick (2)

All show entrants will be given a perforated voting sheet and envelope for their cars. The empty envelope goes under your windshield wiper, then the entrants will walk the showfield and put a ticket (i.e. a ‘vote’) in their favorite cars envelope, thereby creating the Top 25 award winning group. Separately, a panel of judges from SAAC and Team Shelby will walk the field and select the first place car for each of the 33 classes. If a car wins both a Top 25 and a first place, the car will only be awarded the first place, which allows for more winners overall. No car can win two awards. Likewise, if a car wins a “special/VIP award” (SAAC or TS Pick, People’s Choice, etc.) it is also removed from the top 25 and the first place competition. The goal is to give out all the awards and also give more cars the chance of winning and being recognized.

Another aspect of the show, which we hope will make it enjoyable, will be the relaxing of the rigid class structure. We will still group by classic and modern Shelby, real Cobras, etc, but not try to make the show field a rigid parking puzzle. If you are with a bunch of friends, this also allows for you to park together and enjoy the show with each other.

The car show is a joint effort by both SAAC and Team Shelby, and we hope all either enter their cars, or attend. The final location has yet to be determined. If you wish to help at the car show, we welcome all volunteers.

More details will be forthcoming, but we wanted to get this info out early so all can see this part of the convention, and start detailing your rides now.

We look forward to seeing you at the show!

PR3.JPG

Edited by Z-man

hello, my name is Garry and I am new to Team Shelby...just joined this past Nov, 2018.  I live in the Pittsburgh area and plan to attend this event.  is registration open yet?  Them Shelby is all new to me and I would Appreciate any guidance with the organization.  Thanks.

7 hours ago, remsgem said:

hello, my name is Garry and I am new to Team Shelby...just joined this past Nov, 2018.  I live in the Pittsburgh area and plan to attend this event.  is registration open yet?  Them Shelby is all new to me and I would Appreciate any guidance with the organization.  Thanks.

Welcome Gary!

Glad to hear you will be joining us in Pittsburgh.  Registration is not open yet, but if you PM me your email address I will send you the hotel information so you can make a reservation if you need one. 

Keep checking back here for updates.  You can also check out the Team Shelby Northeast Region Facebook page, as well as www.teamshelbynortheast.com

• 2 weeks later...

Tune in to watch the creation of the event logo for the 2019 Team Shelby East Coast Grand Nationals on a live Facebook feed this Thursday evening.

Where: Team Shelby Northeast Region Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/264936540196609/about/

When: 8:00pm Eastern Time...

Who: Renowned artist Micah Claycamp from "Micahdoodles" https://www.facebook.com/micahdoodles/

Micah is know for his "CarToon" style of drawing, exaggerating a cars curves and proportions to create a caricature of a vehicles personality. However, he also has started doing more realistic drawings which while not as wild, still allow his automotive subjects attitude to show through....this is the style he will be using for our logo. You can follow him on Instagram : @ micahdoodles

I will be on the Live Feed via text to answer any questions about Team Shelby in general, as well as questions about our East Coast Grand National event taking place in conjunction with SAAC, in the Pittsburgh area.

Tune in to be the first to see what this years logo will be, and what car it will feature!

Micah logo.jpg

IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

i am so looking forward to the Team Shelby East Coast Grand Nationals and the following week at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix.  Through the past 10 yrs, i have attended numerous Mustang shows...Sturgis Mustang Ralley, Mustang Week, Carlisle Ford Natl  and NMRA to name a few.  But this upcoming event is something new to me.and i am looking forward to it.  Hope to get to meet other members.

On 2/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, Z-man said:

Tune in to watch the creation of the event logo for the 2019 Team Shelby East Coast Grand Nationals on a live Facebook feed this Thursday evening.

Where: Team Shelby Northeast Region Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/264936540196609/about/

When: 8:00pm Eastern Time...

Who: Renowned artist Micah Claycamp from "Micahdoodles" https://www.facebook.com/micahdoodles/

Micah logo.jpg

REMINDER TO TUNE INTO OUR FACEBOOK PAGE TOMORROW (2/21)

Edited by Z-man

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, xian said:

If I’m in Great Lake region, can I attend?? 

Xian - You most certainly can!!!!  We have folks attend from across the country.  We have even had attendees from Canada and Puerto Rico.  Please join us!

12 hours ago, Z-man said:

Xian - You most certainly can!!!!  We have folks attend from across the country.  We have even had attendees from Canada and Puerto Rico.  Please join us!

So when is the registration open? Gonna take a spot before too late😂

10 hours ago, xian said:

So when is the registration open? Gonna take a spot before too late😂

You didn’t miss it, as it hasn’t opened yet.  It should be soon.  I’ll post a link here when we go “live”.

When you do sign up, make certain you indicate you are from Team Shelby.  This is important to make sure you get all the benefits of being a TS member, and the correct credentials when checking in at the event.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/13/2019 at 8:45 PM, Bookwyrm said:

Being from Pittsburgh originally (and having acquired my love for Shelbys at the Vintage Grand Prix) I may have to find a way to make it to this one! 

Same here. I was at the last SAAC in PIT, back on ‘08 or ‘09 before I had my ‘70 Boss 302, which I finished restoring in time to take part at the Vintage Grand Prix back in 2013 as part of the concourse.  Now going back to meet up with old friends.  I’m not sure if I’ll bring any cars, I find that I enjoy time at these events not having to look after them. 

Registration for the 2019 Team Shelby East Coast Grand Nationals / SAAC-44 is OPEN!!!

The site has most of the event information on it, and a link to registration.  It still needs a little work, a few additions and some minor tweaks, but we didn’t want to delay getting it out to you.

This year, we are using Motorsportsreg as our online registration system. Many of you may already have used that system for other events.  Due to Team Shelby and SAAC both registering on the same site, it may be a little confusing.  Once you select a Team Shelby package, the only other things you may want to add are your track days, extra parade laps (one parade lap session on Friday afternoon comes with your package), and the Friday night dinner that SAAC is hosting.  As usual, you will need to make your own hotel accommodations.

For those of you tracking your car, if you want to buy one day of track, but split it over two days so you can also participate in part of the Road Tour or the Poker Run, please contact me directly and “we’ll talk”.

Here is the link....have at it!!!!

http://saac44.com/

Edited by Z-man

7 hours ago, xian said:

Hi Z-man, so the track package is for 3days? Is there a specific schedule?

The whole event is 3 days long.  Track time is available for Thursday and Friday.  We will be at the track Saturday as well for the car show, but track time is not available that day, however there will be Vintage racing taking place while we are there.

Did that answer your question?

On 5/3/2019 at 6:28 PM, Z-man said:

The whole event is 3 days long.  Track time is available for Thursday and Friday.  We will be at the track Saturday as well for the car show, but track time is not available that day, however there will be Vintage racing taking place while we are there.

Did that answer your question?

Not really... so the track price is for two days? And do I need touring package to enter car show? 

4 minutes ago, xian said:

Not really... so the track price is for two days? And do I need touring package to enter car show? 

Track is $300 per day. 

The popular ballot car show is included in both the “Touring” and “Tracking” packages.

• 2 weeks later...

WIN A NEW SHELBY GT....maybe

Everyone who attends the Team Shelby Thursday Evening Dinner and Program (certain exemptions apply) will be eligible to participate in a Shelby Challenge event. This competition is more based on your luck, than your skill, but we will eliminate the challengers until one person is left standing.

If that person can successfully complete the final challenge, they will be rewarded with the keys to a new Shelby GT!
Yes, a REAL car…not a die-cast or a go-cart, but an honest to goodness Shelby automobile!!!
Details to be provided at dinner, and you must attend to participate.

Photo of representative car is shown. (This is not the specific car you will win)

New Shelby GT.JPG

Edited by Z-man

SHELBY GT GIVEAWAY CONTEST

I’m hearing rumblings that there is doubt that an ACTUAL Shelby is going to be given away during dinner at this years East Coast Grand Nationals. Maybe I should clarify a few things....

- It’s a REAL car. Not a toy, not a scale model, not a power wheels...a REAL car...
- The car that dinner guests will be competing for is valued at $70,000.00
- We will be playing a game of chance in order to whittle down the competitors to one final contestant.
- The final contestant will have one attempt to win the game of chance...and the car.
- A winner is not guaranteed, hence the “Maybe” statement on the prior announcement.
- Odds of winning are better than a professional golfer hitting a hole in one (actually 10 times more likely).
- Yes, An insurance policy had been taken out to cover the cost if we do get a winner.
- No, it will not us any more if we do get a winner, so WE WANT TO HAVE A WINNER AND GIVE AWAY THE CAR!!!

Any other questions from the naysayers and disbelievers who are questioning our intent?

You may think this is too good to be true, but it’s the real deal my friends.

Edited by Z-man

• 3 weeks later...

this is my 1st team shelby event.  i just finished the registration for the east coast grand nationals.  i did see that i missed putting in my membership number.  is that necessary on my registration and if so, where do i add it?  Thanks.

9 hours ago, remsgem said:

this is my 1st team shelby event.  i just finished the registration for the east coast grand nationals.  i did see that i missed putting in my membership number.  is that necessary on my registration and if so, where do i add it?  Thanks.

For your first event you sure picked a good one to start with!

You don’t need to put in your membership number....just show up and have some damn fun!!!

On 6/13/2019 at 12:00 AM, Jacostang said:

I'm registered flying in from Phoenix Thursday evening and driving up for the dinner...

Awesome!  Looking forward to meeting you in Pittsburgh.  It’s less than a month away now!!!

• 2 weeks later...