TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lost keys - need help

Swiftsnavy

Currently stationed in Yokosuka, Japan where I have my 2014 GT500.  Recently i’ve lost my final key to the car and am having a heck of time getting one made up.  

Ford actual in the states was zero help.  Im using a local Jeep dealer because the only Ford dealership that was here is closed.  The jeep dealer can do it will involve changing out the cylinder in the steering column and potentially the doors as well. 

Is there a way to get the codes to cut the key?  This is whats holding it up.  

Yes. If you bought it new, you should have received the key code tag with your key, manuals, etc. If used, the original owner should have transferred the same to you. 

Not sure how much it helps, based on your description of Ford providing "zero help," but they CAN provide key code, based on your VIN and proof of ownership.

Your picture didn't come through but, FWIW, my 2013 keys came with a white plastic tag measuring about 2" x 0.5".  It has information, including Ford Part Number DR3V-15K601-AA, an FCC ID Number, and IC Number, a bar code, and my key code printed in black on one side.  My key code is a 5-character alpha-numeric, consisting of 4 numbers and 1 letter. As I understand it, that code permits new keys to be cut.

The problem I think you'll have is that, as described on pp 70-71 of your Owner's Manual, customer Programming of a Spare (or, in your case new) Key requires the presence of "two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key."  The Manual's advice, if two previously programmed coded keys are not available, is to "See your authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed."  Without the ability to "program" the keys (which really means pairing them with your ECU), you'll have a new key that will mechanically actuate the locks and ignition, but won't start the car.

17 hours ago, Swiftsnavy said:

Currently stationed in Yokosuka, Japan where I have my 2014 GT500.  Recently i’ve lost my final key to the car and am having a heck of time getting one made up.  

Ford actual in the states was zero help.  Im using a local Jeep dealer because the only Ford dealership that was here is closed.  The jeep dealer can do it will involve changing out the cylinder in the steering column and potentially the doors as well. 

Is there a way to get the codes to cut the key?  This is whats holding it up.  

Below is what the key code tag looks like, unfortunately this photo shows the back of the tag but at least you can see what the tag looks like.

I don't see the Jeep dealer being much of a help as all they are changing is the physical locks and most likely wont be able to assist you with the programming.  Best to go to the Ford dealer so that they may look your key code up by the VIN number, cut you some replacement keys and then program them to the car.

Personally I would not want any dealership tearing apart my steering column, drivers door and trunk panel so that they can physically change the locks. It would be extremely rare for them not to scratch something or to leave something loose that will rattle when the car is being driven.

Best of luck.

Steve

image.png

11 hours ago, Swiftsnavy said:

Thanks.  I found a small plastic ziploc bag with barcode and below the barcode it has a 5 character set.  4 numbers and a letter. Maybe thats it?

Sounds like it.

1 hour ago, SAI-Steven said:

Below is what the key code tag looks like, unfortunately this photo shows the back of the tag but at least you can see what the tag looks like.

I don't see the Jeep dealer being much of a help as all they are changing is the physical locks and most likely wont be able to assist you with the programming.  Best to go to the Ford dealer so that they may look your key code up by the VIN number, cut you some replacement keys and then program them to the car.

Personally I would not want any dealership tearing apart my steering column, drivers door and trunk panel so that they can physically change the locks. It would be extremely rare for them not to scratch something or to leave something loose that will rattle when the car is being driven.

Best of luck.

Steve

image.png

+1 to all of this.

• 2 weeks later...