TEAM SHELBY FORUM

How did you decide on GT500

Greatgolf7

Back in 2009ish I owned a 2007 GT-H and a 2008 GT500.  I sold the GT500 and I still have the GT-H.  The 2008 GT500 is an awesome car but I just liked the GT-H more and that's why I kept it.  Horse power had nothing to do with the reason why I kept the GT-H, it was more about the black/gold color of the car, the legacy of the Hertz cars and the fact that my car was a rare stick.   The Shelby GT cars were all built in Vegas so that adds a bit of "cool" factor as well.

QSS

Thanks QuickSilverShelby. I like that the GTs were built in Las Vegas like your GTH.  How did the drive compare to each other? How did the comfort compare. I’m looking for a weekend fun car. No drag racing, but I’ll like to punch it from now and then. 

The GT500 was definitely more powerful then my GT-H but it was also way heavier in the front end.  You could definitely notice a big difference in the corners and I like how nimble the GT-H is. 

The GT-H really hits it's sweet spot when you get the RPM's up, and the exhaust note is just awesome.  One of the best exhaust note's I've heard in that generation of mustangs.  The GT500 pretty much hit's it's sweet spot everywhere due to the supercharger under the hood.  I really like the supercharger "whine" that the GT500 put out when you pounded on the throttle. 

As for comfort level, they are exactly the same.  From what I recall about the GT500 is that the interior was the exact same interior as my GT-H so there's really no difference in comfort level and neither car had heated or cooled seats.  

I think either car is a good choice, you probably just have to drive them both and decide what does it for you.  There are tons of these cars around and price is pretty reasonable so you should have a decent amount of choices.

QSS 

19 hours ago, Greatgolf7 said:

I'm looking at a few 2007 -2008 Shelbys. How did you decide between a GT500 or just a GT/CS?  I know the 500 has a different engine and more power, but what other deciding factors?

Greatgolf, when you say GT/CS are you talking about the Ford Mustang California Special? Or are you talking about the Shelby GT-C?

If you are talking about the Ford Mustang California Special there is really no comparison to the Shelby GT500. Although both are Mustang based they are more different than they are similar.

If you are talking the Shelby GT-C, which is pretty much the same as a Shelby GT or GTH,  the differences are going to be based on what are you looking for. If you are looking for a straight line, stop light to stop light, torque monster then the GT500 would be a better fit. If you are looking for a car that handles great on the twisties  and are willing to give up  some hp/torque then the SGT is the way to go.

As QSS mentioned creature comfort wise they are pretty much the same. Only the SGT has an automatic transmission available. Gas mileage wise the SGT will go further on a tank of gas. Production wise there are a ton more GT500's built compared to the SGT.

So if we had a better idea on what you are going to use the car for we could probably give you some more specific advice.

Steve

Thanks QuickSilverShelby. I like that the GTs were built in Las Vegas like your GTH.  How did the drive compare to each other? How did the comfort compare. I’m looking for a weekend fun car. No drag racing, but I’ll like to punch it from now and then. 

Steven

One I am big on right now is the plain GT. I like the body style on those. After test driving a non Shelby 2007 Rousch, the supercharger was nice. In reality the extra hp is not necessary. Looking at some used GT500’s, I was thinking for about $7k more I could get into a GT500 and have both the Shelby and the supercharger. I like the looks of the 2007-2012. Really good deals this time of the year. Clutch issues and rear ends bumping around on back roads and twisted is pointing me back to the regular GT. No drag racing in my future. 

Pete

4 hours ago, Greatgolf7 said:

Steven

One I am big on right now is the plain GT. I like the body style on those. After test driving a non Shelby 2007 Rousch, the supercharger was nice. In reality the extra hp is not necessary. Looking at some used GT500’s, I was thinking for about $7k more I could get into a GT500 and have both the Shelby and the supercharger. I like the looks of the 2007-2012. Really good deals this time of the year. Clutch issues and rear ends bumping around on back roads and twisted is pointing me back to the regular GT. No drag racing in my future. 

Pete

Hey Steven,

I prefer the Shelby GT over the GT500.   The potential clutch issues in the 07 and 08 GT500's is another thing to think about.  I think Ford got that fixed in 2009.  

Sure you'll get to 60 MPH a couple seconds faster in the GT500 but that got boring for me really fast.  I don't track my car at all but it sure is fun on twisty roads.  

QSS

If you do decide to go with a GT500, I suggest lowering it.  GT500's, just my opinion and a subjective thing, look like they are on stilts next to a Shelby GT.  Lowering a GT500 will not only improve the appearance but also the handling.  Of course doing so means extra expense including alignment.

18 hours ago, Greatgolf7 said:

I could get into a GT500 and have both the Shelby and the supercharger.Really good deals this time of the year. 

Pete,

If you think there are really good deals on GT500's right now, just wait until later this year when the new GT500 is on the dealers lot. Just a fact of life, when newer models are released the previous models take a price hit.

If you want the best of both worlds, pick up a SGT and have SAI supercharge it for you. This way you have the power of a GT500 and the handling of a SGT.

Steve

I have an '09 car so for what it is worth, the main difference between '07-'08 is I didn't have to deal with the clutch TSB problems as mine was built after August 2008 when they corrected the problem.  With that said, my purchase was more nostalgic to my childhood dream of owning a 1966 GT350 and the throwback design of the original GT500.  10+ years later, I still get a kick out of driving mine.  However, I had to do a TON of upgrades to get the car to handle, stop, and accelerate properly.  You will want to find a low mileage car with the proper mods already completed and it will be worth the money to pay a little extra.  The stock 2007 - 2009 GT500 is a wobbly pig.  

Here is the list of upgrades I did to my car:

2009 Shelby GT500: 524.8 HP/549.9 Ft. Lb. Torque at the wheels on SuperFlow AutoDyn 880E AWD Chassis Dyno – Estimated HP at crank to be 619 HP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6lOjDH9eP0

True Forged Chicane Wheels w/ Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires: 275/30/20 Front and 285/30/20 Rear - Shelby/Wilwood Front and Rear Racing Brakes - Shelby GT500 Brake Duct Bezels/Front Brake Duct Kit - Ford Racing Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers - Shelby Oil Separator - Shelby GT500 Engine Coil Covers - Metco 2.6 pulley/idler w/JLT Cold Air Kit and SCT Tune - Shelby Billet Aluminum Racing Oil Pan - Shelby Extreme Duty Heat Exchanger - McLeod RXT Performance Twin Disc Clutch - PST Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft - Ford Racing Low Profile Differential Cover w/ over flow tank - Flowmaster Exhaust - Shelby Racing Front and Rear Sway Bars - Shelby Bumpsteer Tie Rod Adjuster - Shelby Sway Bar End Links -  Shelby K-Member, Radiator Support, Chassis Support, A-Arms, A Arm Support Brace - Shelby Billet Aluminum Watts Link - Metco Billet Aluminum Rear Lower Control Arms - 2014 GT500 Upper Control Arm - Ford Racing Springs - Shelby Six Speed Shifter Lever w/ Shelby GT500 Shift Knob - Shelby GT500 Engine Billet Aluminum Cap Set - Shelby Hood Lift Kit - Shelby Billet Aluminum Racing Pedal and Dead Pedal Covers - Carbon fiber upgrades: Front Splitter, Rocker Panels, Rear Mud Guards, Rear Diffuser, Side View Mirror Inserts, Hood Vents, Door Sills, Speaker Rings, Center Console, Mirror Switch Covers, Door Lock Bezels, Radiator

Now the car is one of the best handling GT500's you will find and I feel is a proper sports car.  Good luck with your search.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Greatgolf7 said:

Very nice car with great upgrades. I'm sure you greatly improved the handling of the car.  I'm saving this information and may want to call on you for some additional information. 

Thanks

Appreciate the compliment.  If you have any interest, I have been considering selling my '09 to a Shelby enthusiast so you can PM me for further discussion.

• 2 months later...

The best handling upgrade I did to my 2008 Super Snake (after Shelby did what they did in Las Vegas) was to get those little 255 tires and the 9" wide Alcoa's off of the front and install 275's on 10" wide Alcoa's. My car is much more planted feeling in turns and I can take clover leaf exit ramps off of the interstate with much more confidence. I could tell a difference from the moment I turned out of my driveway and did a moderate/tight circle turn around the cul-de-sac at the end of my street. That was 6+ years ago and I have been happy with the front grip on my 2008 GT500 since that time.

R

Edited by Robert M

26 minutes ago, Robert M said:

The best handling upgrade I did to my 2008 Super Snake (after Shelby did what they did in Las Vegas) was to get those little 255 tires and the 9" wide Alcoa's off of the front and install 275's on 10" wide Alcoa's. My car is much more planted feeling in turns and I can take clover leaf exit ramps off of the interstate with much more confidence. I could tell a difference from the moment I turned out of my driveway and did a moderate/tight circle turn around the cul-de-sac at the end of my street. That was 6+ years ago and I have been happy with the front grip on my 2008 GT500 since that time.

R

+1 on 275 front tires.... major improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

So after owning a SGT for a couple of years now and just picking up a GT500KR I can tell you for me it was worth the wait to go in that direction.  For starters both cars have all the suspension and handling pretty much done.  No watts, or adjustable panhard (I still can’t figure that one out). Both have gears swapped out.  The power delivery is excellent as is the sound (no drone), the KR just has TONS more of both. The original tires on both are pretty much a joke, even the Eagle F1 supercar tires on the KR, but the Alcoa wheels are awesome.  Both are fairy rare, certainly by mustang standards.  Both turn heads, but most importantly mine and they put a smile on my face.  So which do I like driving better?  Completely different cars and each has their points.  The SGT just feels a lot lighter, but the power of the KR is special.  If I had to narrow it down to 1...the KR.  But, for now I’m keeping both.  That was my plan and for me to get there it means driving my 10yr old truck back and forth to work and wouldn’t have it any other way. (Helps that I like my truck too).  

Good luck with your search.  All I’ll say to anyone looking to buy a S197 Shelby of any kind, they are all great cars that had a team of people working hard to deliver an experience to stir the emotions. You won’t be sorry.  

Edited by mfield2a

This might seem a bit odd, but one of the things that I liked about the GT500's is that they have a complete "black" dash...no chrome or aluminum stuff on the dash, console, etc. except the bezels for the gauges and air vents. The nose of the car was another thing that I really liked as well. However, as previously mentioned, I bought my car as a starting point for what I wanted to build. The $400 I spent on the Fays2 watts-link in the rear was one of the best upgrades I did to the car. That mod alone helped in everyday driving.

Another thing to consider is that many of the first model years have had the clutch TSB done or the owner did an aftermarket piece so that might not be an issue, but you'd want to ask or check with a dealer.

I went the FRPP CAI (KR) route and added a VMP tune and I avg 22/23 mpg @ 70-80 mpg on long trips. So either car with a tune can improve mpg if that's an issue. I would argue that both cars have a compromised suspension, but with heaviness of the front and the extra power on the GT500 the rear end "wiggle" is more pronounced and noticeable. As has been mentioned a good adjustable panhard bar (for under $200) or a watts-link can take of it.

These cars are just a canvas to build what your dream is...just gotta figure out what base canvas you want to start with and enjoy the ride. ;)