TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time Capsule Shelby

IASHELBYGT

17 minutes ago, IASHELBYGT said:

I was cruising eBay and saw this.  Only 350 miles, but priced too high https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Mustang-Shelby-GT/233055127128?hash=item36432b0658:g:8x4AAOSw76lcGbVx&vxp=mtr  I'd pay$30K for it :)

Yup. Great car, goofy price. And who knows what's dried out and atrophied at this point. For a few less bucks, it'd be cool to grab it and get it out and breathing. An auto vert is a great cruiser.

1 hour ago, Jer said:

Yup. Great car, goofy price. And who knows what's dried out and atrophied at this point. For a few less bucks, it'd be cool to grab it and get it out and breathing. An auto vert is a great cruiser.

Well the drivers door panel insert certainly has and I'm sure those polyurethane bushings are groaning pretty load.

But what idiot drilled the front bumper for the l/p holder and for that price you would think that the seller would include the Shelby Autos Monroney label.

Steve

Maybe the guy will get what he asks. If so,  good for him. As an owner of virtually the exact same car,  I hope he gets his asking price. I bought mine back in 2010 with about 1300 miles on the odometer at the time  for 10k less  and my car had no “issues” whatsoever…….so yeah, the current ask does seem a bit ambitious at best. It is probably gonna need door panel inserts, bushings all around, all new hoses and belts, fluid changes, and tires at a minimum....... and that is not cheap either……..I wish him/her the best though.  Its going to be interesting to see what it goes for.

ps: and Jer is correct, the auto vert is a great cruiser. I have no regrets whatsoever buying one with an Auto.

Edited by mhr1961

Shiny! I could not agree more with the front plate holder Steve.  That’s a deal breaker for many.  

Mine only has around 2300 miles on the clock, but I’ll let her purr no less than once a month and when I do drive it...I DRIVE IT.  Maybe 100 miles in 5th. 🤘

19 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

Maybe the guy will get what he asks. If so,  good for him. As an owner of virtually the exact same car,  I hope he gets his asking price. I bought mine back in 2010 with about 1300 miles on the odometer at the time  for 10k less  and my car had no “issues” whatsoever…….so yeah, the current ask does seem a bit ambitious at best. It is probably gonna need door panel inserts, bushings all around, all new hoses and belts, fluid changes, and tires at a minimum....... and that is not cheap either……..I wish him/her the best though.  Its going to be interesting to see what it goes for.

ps: and Jer is correct, the auto vert is a great cruiser. I have no regrets whatsoever buying one with an Auto.

Of course we all would love to see the seller get their asking price but there is a difference between being optimistic and being unrealistic. I suspect the car is on consignment which is inflating the asking price.

Steve 

21 minutes ago, SAI-Steven said:

Of course we all would love to see the seller get their asking price but there is a difference between being optimistic and being unrealistic. I suspect the car is on consignment which is inflating the asking price.

Steve 

I did say he" seemed a bit ambitious". That's the polite southern way of saying someone is being unrealistic or out of their frikking minds.........:)

On 12/21/2018 at 3:25 PM, SAI-Steven said:

Well the drivers door panel insert certainly has and I'm sure those polyurethane bushings are groaning pretty load.

But what idiot drilled the front bumper for the l/p holder and for that price you would think that the seller would include the Shelby Autos Monroney label.

Steve

That’s exactly what I was thinking. :doh:

9 hours ago, jerseygator said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. :doh:

My guess is the car went through dealer prep and also is why there is no interior plastic wrap protection.  You would think that if someone purchased the car to keep as a time capsule that they would have instructed the dealership not to perform the dealer prep when it arrived. I'll need to look up when this car first sold to see how long it sat at the dealership.

But even with no front license plate drilling and the interior still wrapped in Ford assembly line plastic, the sellers price is still too optimistic.

Steve

On 12/21/2018 at 7:44 PM, mfield2a said:

Shiny! I could not agree more with the front plate holder Steve.  That’s a deal breaker for many.  

Mine only has around 2300 miles on the clock, but I’ll let her purr no less than once a month and when I do drive it...I DRIVE IT.  Maybe 100 miles in 5th. 🤘

Alaska is a 2 license plate state so the dealers HAVE TO put the bracket on up here.  I had no choice when I bought mine back in 2008..

28 minutes ago, AKSHELBY said:

Alaska is a 2 license plate state so the dealers HAVE TO put the bracket on up here.  I had no choice when I bought mine back in 2008..

That stinks that the dealers just do it. There are a lot of no drill kits on the market. 

2 hours ago, AKSHELBY said:

There is no legal requirement for a dealer to "HAVE TO" install a front plate or front plate bracket. It is up to the individual who purchases and registers  the vehicle.

8 hours ago, mhr1961 said:

There is no legal requirement for a dealer to "HAVE TO" install a front plate or front plate bracket. It is up to the individual who purchases and registers  the vehicle.

Some states require front plates if the hardware exists to mount it so the dealer would be obliged if the dealer was the registering agent (some dealers will register with the DMV as a courtesy).  I always registered mine myself and some how the front plate thingie always got lost. 

3 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Some states require front plates if the hardware exists to mount it so the dealer would be obliged if the dealer was the registering agent (some dealers will register with the DMV as a courtesy).  I always registered mine myself and some how the front plate thingie always got lost. 

I get what you are saying, but from most statutes I have combed through there are no statutes that say dealers "HAVE TO" install a front plate. If they register with the DMV as a courtesy they simply have to provide the plates to the buyer..The onus is on the buyer not the dealer to properly install or mount the plate. 

3 hours ago, twobjshelbys said:

Hmmm... that's a mystery....

Jer

In Hawaii, a two plate state, the vehicle has to go goes through a safety check and the plates have to be mounted at deler expense, unless the buyer provides and approved bracket system that puts the palte on the right location (not off center or disappearing).  The safety check approval is given to DMV for registration completion.  For those have reasons to object to a front plate, I tell them to get a vanity plate to take the edge off.  :)

Colorado is a two-plate state, although it is not well enforced.  Their interpretation is that if the front holder is AVAILABLE they will install it and mount the plate.    If the holder is INSTALLED (present) then you have to mount the front plate. Colorado tried several times while we lived there to get rid of the front plate but the state police lobby nixed it.

When I bought our Honda in Nevada the dealer basically said the same thing, but somehow that holder got lost on the way home.

Before we left in 1996 Massachusetts was a two plate state, period. 

I've heard of Cobra owners in some states that struggle to find mounting hardware.

Edit: The web is a wonderful place.  Google returns this for states that only require one plate:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/10/how-many-states-require-front-license-plates/

The same list is presented in other citations, so it's probably reasonably accurate (things change with time).  So I expect that places that aren't in the 19 states  that explicitly allow one plate are merely being selective about enforcement.   In other words, if a cop is looking for an excuse to stop you for something, a burned out tail light or a missing front plate could be cause.     That said, Colorado didn't, and Nevada hasn't, hassled me.

Edited by twobjshelbys

Most of the comments here are anecdotal. So far I have seen no statutes that specifically require a dealer to mount a front plate. Again, the onus is on the buyer (end user). In Texas a dealer tag is only required on the rear which is the same with many other 2 plate states. If they do a courtesy registration for you then all they have to do is supply you the plates. What you do with them is up to you……it’s the same in several other states.

Front plates are starting to be required because of all the automated license plate scanners that law enforcement have in place in many states. These scanners help Law enforcement track down stolen cars.  It won’t be long until almost all states require front and rear plates for owners. In the meantime you can still request of your dealer  to NOT install or drill on your car and just supply you the plates and brackets. Just trying to stop misinformation. Also the is no statute in Colorado that requires a dealer to mount your license plates, again the onus is on the buyer/ owner to do so.

Edited by mhr1961

Actually true.  In Hawaii all cars are required to have two plates, one in front and same plate with a registration expiration on the rear.  Upon purchase of a new car, the DMV issues the dealer a temporary single plate (heavy card board) until the registered vehicle metail license plates are issued to the owner, who can put them on themselves or have the dealer do it.   The vehicle owner os the responsible party for insuring that the plates are properly on the car. An out of state vehicle can operate up to a year on out of state plates based on that state registration deadline.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BIKEBOY said:

Chinese math? :shrug: 

never let a Carolina redneck use an abacus...........there is a joke in there somewhere.........

Edited by mhr1961

On 12/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, KOBRA2848 said:

It is also weird that it has the six gauge cluster but does not have the ( info/select/ reset )  three button cluster switch. 

Mark

Good Eye.

Any other SGT's that don't have that? It's strange, considering how well loaded that #588 is.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:34 PM, KOBRA2848 said:

It is also weird that it has the six gauge cluster but does not have the ( info/select/ reset )  three button cluster switch. 

Mark

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Good Eye.

Any other SGT's that don't have that? It's strange, considering how well loaded that #588 is.

According to Ford build records this SGT did have the interior upgrade package which should have included the message center buttons. Strange that those buttons are not there.

Steve